Random Picture Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #481
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Come on. You can do better than that.

    I am guessing that he uses a photo as a guide when he does his sketches. So he is going to be no better/different than his photos. It is just a human photocopy process.
    Artistic intent imbues the artwork with new meaning. If you paint a canvas red, that's not art. If I paint a canvas red, and call it "Red Square" I imbue it with secondary meaning, so it's definitely art. Calling something like that "just" a human photocopy process is to ignore the camera obscura of the Renaissance and how they were able to achieve such amazing facsimiles in their paintings. It also ignores the craft and talent in motor skills that it takes to copy something already. What's more, it's little different that someone sitting for a portrait, or an arranged still life, which are essentially photocopies, as you worded it, of real life.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69717

      #482
      Originally posted by Devildog View Post
      Scott Jacobs does a similar thing. He is now making ridiculous money. When he first started I heard many people saying the same thing you are saying.

      I'm not sure Scott cares anymore. He loves what he is doing, he's getting filthy rich doing it, and for every critic he has, there is an admiring fan.



      For the record, I think the pencil drawing posted above is amazing.


      That is an entirely different style.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69717

        #483
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Artistic intent imbues the artwork with new meaning. If you paint a canvas red, that's not art. If I paint a canvas red, and call it "Red Square" I imbue it with secondary meaning, so it's definitely art. Calling something like that "just" a human photocopy process is to ignore the camera obscura of the Renaissance and how they were able to achieve such amazing facsimiles in their paintings. It also ignores the craft and talent in motor skills that it takes to copy something already. What's more, it's little different that someone sitting for a portrait, or an arranged still life, which are essentially photocopies, as you worded it, of real life.
        No, I most certainly did not ignore the craft and talent. I am talking about the end product. If you take a close-up of a photo like the work in question and reproduce it exactly, what do you have? A photocopy-style reproduction that takes incredible talent, but is essentially identical to the original. A cool trick, no doubt. But not terribly inspiring (to me, anyway).

        Let me give you another example. I know a guy who took one of the Arnold Frieberg (sp?) paintings in the BOM and did an exact reproduction using oil paints. Took him a long time to complete it. When he was done, he treated it as his masterpiece, but he got a lukewarm reaction. Sure, it was an impressive technical achievement, but it was essentially a photocopy.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Devildog
          Motor Boatin' SOB
          • Oct 2010
          • 1239

          #484
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


          That is an entirely different style.
          I said he does a similar thing.

          They both start with a photo and use it as a guide. Scott uses a paint by numbers approach rather than a pencil drawing to reproduce the photo.
          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
          -Thucydides

          "Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
          -Miyamoto Musashi

          Si vis pacem, para bellum

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #485
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            No, I most certainly did not ignore the craft and talent. I am talking about the end product. If you take a close-up of a photo like the work in question and reproduce it exactly, what do you have? A photocopy-style reproduction that takes incredible talent, but is essentially identical to the original. A cool trick, no doubt. But not terribly inspiring (to me, anyway).

            Let me give you another example. I know a guy who took one of the Arnold Frieberg (sp?) paintings in the BOM and did an exact reproduction using oil paints. Took him a long time to complete it. When he was done, he treated it as his masterpiece, but he got a lukewarm reaction. Sure, it was an impressive technical achievement, but it was essentially a photocopy.
            I'm not in the best frame of mind right now. Let me come back to this question in a few days.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • LA Ute
              Receiver of Memory
              • Nov 2008
              • 19512

              #486
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              No, I most certainly did not ignore the craft and talent. I am talking about the end product. If you take a close-up of a photo like the work in question and reproduce it exactly, what do you have? A photocopy-style reproduction that takes incredible talent, but is essentially identical to the original. A cool trick, no doubt. But not terribly inspiring (to me, anyway).

              Let me give you another example. I know a guy who took one of the Arnold Frieberg (sp?) paintings in the BOM and did an exact reproduction using oil paints. Took him a long time to complete it. When he was done, he treated it as his masterpiece, but he got a lukewarm reaction. Sure, it was an impressive technical achievement, but it was essentially a photocopy.
              I am not a big fan of artistic realism, so I'm sympathetic to what you're saying. But still:



              Ad this one's for wuap:

              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden


              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18029

                #487
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Oh, well. It turns out that the photo was taken in September, according to ABC News. So it's not exactly a fake.
                Yeah, fake is maybe too harsh a word in this case.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69717

                  #488
                  Originally posted by Devildog View Post
                  I said he does a similar thing.

                  They both start with a photo and use it as a guide. Scott uses a paint by numbers approach rather than a pencil drawing to reproduce the photo.
                  Using a photo is not the point. Lots of artists do that. Sometimes they use multiple photos to combine different elements. But typically they end up with something that is different than the photo in terms of light, color, composition, etc. I.e., an original creation. That is certainly the case with the examples you provided. They are photorealistic, but nobody would mistake them for a photo.

                  Let me put this another way: Suppose the artist in question decided to sell reprints of his sketch. Further, suppose someone at the studio decided to save a little time and money by just cranking out reprints of the original photo. May as well because nobody would be able to tell the difference.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #489
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Using a photo is not the point. Lots of artists do that. Sometimes they use multiple photos to combine different elements. But typically they end up with something that is different than the photo in terms of light, color, composition, etc. I.e., an original creation. That is certainly the case with the examples you provided. They are photorealistic, but nobody would mistake them for a photo.

                    Let me put this another way: Suppose the artist in question decided to sell reprints of his sketch. Further, suppose someone at the studio decided to save a little time and money by just cranking out reprints of the original photo. May as well because nobody would be able to tell the difference.
                    Now you're talking about the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction.

                    Before I answer, what do you think of this work? Is it art?

                    [YOUTUBE]x3IMP0fwlCM[/YOUTUBE]

                    I also would like for you to read this story, to understand where I am coming from:

                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69717

                      #490
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      Now you're talking about the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction.

                      Before I answer, what do you think of this work? Is it art?
                      Sure. But what's your point? I never claimed that the sketch in question isn't a form of art. Please, let's not get into one of those "definition of art" debates. I can't stand those.

                      I am just saying while I find it impressive from a technical viewpoint, I don't find it particularly inspiring from an artistic viewpoint.

                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      I also would like for you to read this story, to understand where I am coming from:

                      http://vahidnab.com/menard.pdf
                      Sorry, professor. No time today for homework. Cliff Notes, please.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • wuapinmon
                        Soul Plumber
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 30711

                        #491
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Sure. But what's your point? I never claimed that the sketch in question isn't a form of art. Please, let's not get into one of those "definition of art" debates. I can't stand those.

                        I am just saying while I find it impressive from a technical viewpoint, I don't find it particularly inspiring from an artistic viewpoint.



                        Sorry, professor. No time today for homework. Cliff Notes, please.
                        I don't think there's much of a discussion then. Inspiration comes from without to stimulate personal response. I think that if you saw these in a gallery, not knowing that they were drawn from a photograph, but were just told that they are drawings, the effect on you would be much different than your current one. But, that's supposition, and ultimately, unknowable.
                        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69717

                          #492
                          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                          I don't think there's much of a discussion then. Inspiration comes from without to stimulate personal response. I think that if you saw these in a gallery, not knowing that they were drawn from a photograph, but were just told that they are drawings, the effect on you would be much different than your current one. But, that's supposition, and ultimately, unknowable.
                          If I saw that in a gallery, I would think "That's a nice photograph."
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #493
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            If I saw that in a gallery, I would think "That's a nice photograph."
                            But, if you read the placard, and realized that it wasn't a photograph, how might you react?
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69717

                              #494
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              But, if you read the placard, and realized that it wasn't a photograph, how might you react?
                              Same way I have here. Glorified photocopy.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • wuapinmon
                                Soul Plumber
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 30711

                                #495
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Same way I have here. Glorified photocopy.
                                But, that's the thing I'm contending...you know it's from a photograph. If you didn't know, I believe that your reaction might be different. I think mine would be, at least.
                                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                                Comment

                                Working...