Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • BigPiney
    Huge Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 12368

    #3676
    No gifts for the men at church today.

    i do recall spending many hours getting gifts for the women just a month ago.

    i also got to speak today since no one will return my calls or texts. I’m burned out.

    Comment

    • Bo Diddley
      Senior
      • Jul 2012
      • 18804

      #3677
      I got to spend time with my dad tonight. He's 83. I'm just so thankful to still be able to spend time with him. I know many of you have lost your dad. Mrs Diddley has as well. So I know this day can often be bitter sweet. He's been a great dad, and I am who I am in large part because of his example.

      Happy Father's Day.

      Comment

      • PaloAltoCougar
        Semper infra dignitatem
        • Nov 2008
        • 16938

        #3678
        Borrowing a pithy line from Kevin Kelly (interesting guy, btw), I've come to realize what I love most about retirement is that for the first time in my life I'm governed not by the tyranny of the urgent but by the elevation of the important.

        Comment

        • clackamascoug
          Banned
          • Dec 2009
          • 9709

          #3679
          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
          Borrowing a pithy line from Kevin Kelly (interesting guy, btw), I've come to realize what I love most about retirement is that for the first time in my life I'm governed not by the tyranny of the urgent but by the elevation of the important.
          Did your partner retire too - or is he adding to his car collection?

          Comment

          • PaloAltoCougar
            Semper infra dignitatem
            • Nov 2008
            • 16938

            #3680
            Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post

            Did your partner retire too - or is he adding to his car collection?
            The latter. He's a very good person and we had a great multi-decade partnership during which we never had a single argument. But we're also very different, reflected by his Instagram posts, 90% of which are about his car and watch collections, things about which I care very little. Vive le difference!

            Comment

            • myboynoah
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 21719

              #3681
              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
              Borrowing a pithy line from Kevin Kelly (interesting guy, btw), I've come to realize what I love most about retirement is that for the first time in my life I'm governed not by the tyranny of the urgent but by the elevation of the important.
              Great thought. Looking forward to it.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

              Comment

              • PaloAltoCougar
                Semper infra dignitatem
                • Nov 2008
                • 16938

                #3682
                I keep thinking about a well known line I've read once again for a class I'm taking. The lead character in Wilde's An Ideal Husband complains that it's unfair that a mistake he made many years earlier has come back to haunt him, to which Lord Goring (not Hermann) replies, "Life is never fair and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." I've complained about unfairness countless times, which is really stupid and ungrateful as life's unfairness has overwhelmingly worked in my favor most of the time.
                Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 07-06-2022, 05:00 PM.

                Comment

                • smokymountainrain
                  Impressive Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22593

                  #3683
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I keep thinking about a well known line I've read once again for a class I'm taking. The lead character in Wilde's An Ideal Husband complains that it's unfair that a mistake he made many years earlier has come back to haunt him, to which Lord Goring (not Hermann) replies, "Life is never fair and perhaps it is a good thing for most of us that it is not." I'm complained about unfairness countless times, which is really stupid and ungrateful as life's unfairness has overwhelmingly worked in my favor most of the time.
                  most of us would do well to remember this fact.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69722

                    #3684
                    Excellent post.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Scott R Nelson
                      UofU/BYU mixed marriage
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 1508

                      #3685
                      Why is it that my smoke alarms decide to cry out for a new battery in the middle of the night instead of waiting until a more convenient time, like 10:00 am?

                      I figured I had likely beaten jet lag in just a couple of days after returning home, but spent way too much time at 2:00 am trying to figure out which smoke alarm was complaining. My house has eight of them and I finally found it after disabling five. (I use that as a reminder to change all of the batteries, so I guess it's partly my own fault.) Should be safe from that happening again for another year or so.

                      Comment

                      • PaloAltoCougar
                        Semper infra dignitatem
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 16938

                        #3686
                        A day in which both HFN and UtahDan darken one’s internet doorstep is a good one.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #3687
                          Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
                          Why is it that my smoke alarms decide to cry out for a new battery in the middle of the night instead of waiting until a more convenient time, like 10:00 am?

                          I figured I had likely beaten jet lag in just a couple of days after returning home, but spent way too much time at 2:00 am trying to figure out which smoke alarm was complaining. My house has eight of them and I finally found it after disabling five. (I use that as a reminder to change all of the batteries, so I guess it's partly my own fault.) Should be safe from that happening again for another year or so.
                          Life Pro Tip: Replace all smoke alarms with the ones that have 10 year with lithium batteries. Of course, it 10 years they will cry out in the middle of the night but at least it won't be every year.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18804

                            #3688
                            One thing I really enjoy about my new job at work is crunching numbers. I have to hunt for the data and sort it to determine priorities and status. This is also what I enjoyed about playing fantasy football years ago. I used to download the individual and team stats weekly to inform players to start, trade, drop, etc., long before you could just pay FootballGuys for it.

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16938

                              #3689
                              I was a huge Far Side fan back in the day, but I think I missed this one long ago that popped up on my FB feed today. Love it.

                              Comment

                              • Clark Addison
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10312

                                #3690
                                When I am working from home, I have a laptop that sits on my desk to the side of my work setup, and if I am doing anything personal (CS.com, Netflix, etc.), I do it there. So, a couple of minutes ago, I think I will check out what is happening on this site, and I type in my normal "cougars <enter>", only to realize that I had typed it on my work keyboard. I had just initiated a Slack conversation with a teammate, so that is where my typing went. The good thing about Slack is that you can edit or delete messages, so I quickly deleted, but if he was at his desk, he saw a message from me pop up that said simply "Cougars", and was then deleted. He has not responded to me yet, so no way of knowing.

                                I guess I am just happy that at the time of the board rename, y'all didn't settle on "ilovecougarstadium.com"

                                Comment

                                Working...