Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Bo Diddley
    Senior
    • Jul 2012
    • 18806

    #3691

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 37996

      #3692
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      I was a huge Far Side fan back in the day, but I think I missed this one long ago that popped up on my FB feed today. Love it.
      I'm not sure I get it.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Scott R Nelson
        UofU/BYU mixed marriage
        • Apr 2010
        • 1508

        #3693
        Originally posted by falafel View Post

        I'm not sure I get it.
        You would have to be a Far Side fan...

        I own "The Complete Far Side", a two volume set that weighs about 25 pounds. Plus "The PreHistory of the Far Side", that explains how it all started and some of the problems that Gary Larson ran into while doing the comic. It's probably time to dig those out and go through the whole thing again. But some people just don't get the Far Side and probably shouldn't even try. The above Rhino piece is pretty much standard Far Side humor.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69735

          #3694
          I laughed!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37996

            #3695
            Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
            You would have to be a Far Side fan...

            I own "The Complete Far Side", a two volume set that weighs about 25 pounds. Plus "The PreHistory of the Far Side", that explains how it all started and some of the problems that Gary Larson ran into while doing the comic. It's probably time to dig those out and go through the whole thing again. But some people just don't get the Far Side and probably shouldn't even try. The above Rhino piece is pretty much standard Far Side humor.
            I think my parents owned the Complete Far Side as well. I spent plenty of time reading and laughing at the comics. This one just doesn't really strike my funny bone.

            This one, on the other hand:

            5d60c2e8e60da606c613cb21c097ed94--far-side-cartoons-dog-cartoons.jpg

            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • PaloAltoCougar
              Semper infra dignitatem
              • Nov 2008
              • 16938

              #3696
              I won't argue whether The Far Side is funny--it either appeals or it doesn't and the worst and unfunniest thing one can do is to try to defend why anything is funny. I wonder if The Far Side is simply funnier for the older generations. Testing whether a rhino had cat-like moves and instincts struck me as funny, along with the scientists and clipboards--especially since it was one I hadn't seen before. But there I go explaining--I'm the worst and unfunny.

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37996

                #3697
                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                I won't argue whether The Far Side is funny--it either appeals or it doesn't and the worst and unfunniest thing one can do is to try to defend why anything is funny. I wonder if The Far Side is simply funnier for the older generations. Testing whether a rhino had cat-like moves and instincts struck me as funny, along with the scientists and clipboards--especially since it was one I hadn't seen before. But there I go explaining--I'm the worst and unfunny.
                I, at least, appreciate the effort. At least I didn't miss the joke on this one.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • chrisrenrut
                  Strikes and Gutters
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 2299

                  #3698
                  Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  I won't argue whether The Far Side is funny--it either appeals or it doesn't and the worst and unfunniest thing one can do is to try to defend why anything is funny. I wonder if The Far Side is simply funnier for the older generations. Testing whether a rhino had cat-like moves and instincts struck me as funny, along with the scientists and clipboards--especially since it was one I hadn't seen before. But there I go explaining--I'm the worst and unfunny.
                  I thought it was funny. But then my mind also goes to the place where I wonder how the rope will let go of all 4 legs at the same time. Then comes the self-loathing.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69735

                    #3699
                    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    I won't argue whether The Far Side is funny--it either appeals or it doesn't and the worst and unfunniest thing one can do is to try to defend why anything is funny. I wonder if The Far Side is simply funnier for the older generations. Testing whether a rhino had cat-like moves and instincts struck me as funny, along with the scientists and clipboards--especially since it was one I hadn't seen before. But there I go explaining--I'm the worst and unfunny.
                    Good grief you don't need to explain it. Lol @ falafel for not getting it.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Pelado
                      Bald not naked
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 21148

                      #3700
                      Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post

                      I thought it was funny. But then my mind also goes to the place where I wonder how the rope will let go of all 4 legs at the same time. Then comes the self-loathing.
                      Is it bad that I found the bolded part funny?
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

                      Comment

                      • smokymountainrain
                        Impressive Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22593

                        #3701
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post

                        I think my parents owned the Complete Far Side as well. I spent plenty of time reading and laughing at the comics. This one just doesn't really strike my funny bone.

                        This one, on the other hand:

                        5d60c2e8e60da606c613cb21c097ed94--far-side-cartoons-dog-cartoons.jpg
                        pac got plenty of support for his post (which i also thought was funny), and you deserve applause for this - i agree that it is a classic and very funny.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

                        Comment

                        • SeattleUte
                          Faith crisis consultant
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 20837

                          #3702
                          I look great on Microsoft Teams, terrible on Webex or Zoom.
                          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                          --Jonathan Swift

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #3703
                            Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                            I look great on Microsoft Teams, terrible on Webex or Zoom.
                            i've never seen you not look amazing. just being honest. #nohomo
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18806

                              #3704
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

                              i've never seen you not look amazing. just being honest. #nohomo

                              Comment

                              • SeattleUte
                                Faith crisis consultant
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 20837

                                #3705
                                Exactly what our IP help desk guy said when I stated this observation.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                                --Jonathan Swift

                                Comment

                                Working...