Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Katy Lied
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 9435

    #3076
    Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12379

      #3077
      Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
      Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.
      Do you attend RootsTech a lot Katie?

      Have you come across any other interesting tidbits about scientologists or scientology lately?

      Comment

      • mtnbiker
        it's all a blur
        • Mar 2009
        • 2573

        #3078
        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        Found out today that Jake Shimabukuru is speaking and performing at RootsTech next month.
        I heard an ad for that on the radio yesterday. Wow, they butchered his name. It's a common name in Okinawa, not so common around here.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37987

          #3079
          Have you ever wondered if you were born with a particular skill or ability but for a sport or activity that didn't exist at the time you live? Like maybe I would have been the best in the world at that Mayan basketball game if I were alive at that time.

          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • cougjunkie
            *Banned*
            • Nov 2008
            • 23223

            #3080
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Have you ever wondered if you were born with a particular skill or ability but for a sport or activity that didn't exist at the time you live? Like maybe I would have been the best in the world at that Mayan basketball game if I were alive at that time.

            You weren't.
            *Banned*

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37987

              #3081
              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              You weren't.
              How can you be sure.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • mtnbiker
                it's all a blur
                • Mar 2009
                • 2573

                #3082
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                How can you be sure.
                Isn't that the game where the losers had their heads shoved through that hole or something like that?

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37987

                  #3083
                  Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                  Isn't that the game where the losers had their heads shoved through that hole or something like that?
                  Sometimes the losers were decapitated. Sometimes.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • creekster
                    It is NOT a monkey!
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22661

                    #3084
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Sometimes the losers were decapitated. Sometimes.
                    The captain of the winning team was decapitated. It was a great honor.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37987

                      #3085
                      Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      The captain of the winning team was decapitated. It was a great honor.
                      Not according to the "History for Kids" website I read earlier today. It was the captain of the losing team.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #3086
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Not according to the "History for Kids" website I read earlier today. It was the captain of the losing team.
                        It is time to put away childish things.

                        The most interesting part, however, is the fact that if a particular game had a religious purpose, the winning team were decapitated and offered as a sacrifice and this was considered a great honor. And that’s not just speculation. Various illustrations included in Pre-columbian books such as the Codex Borgia and on carved stone friezes decorating the walls of ball courts at the sites of Chichen Itza and El Tajin, clearly portray the decapitation of one team’s captain by the other or by a priest.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37987

                          #3087
                          Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          It is time to put away childish things.


                          https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-mexico-007917
                          Meh, I've got links too!

                          The game continued to be played throughout Mesoamerica when it was adopted by the Maya, who added their own special twist. Humans and the lords of the underworld battled it out by playing the game, according to the creation story the known as the Popol Vuh. In this way, the ball court was a portal to Xibalba — the Mayan underworld. The Maya used the game as a stand‐in for warfare, settling territory disputes and hereditary issues, and to foretell the future. Captives of wars were forced to play (undoubtedly rigged) games that resulted in their sacrifice when they lost.

                          The Aztecs continued this proud tradition of loser‐lose‐all, as many vases and sculptures depict the inevitable decapitation of the losing team. There are even some depictions of ball players playing with the heads of the losers in place of a ball.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • creekster
                            It is NOT a monkey!
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22661

                            #3088
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            Meh, I've got links too!
                            I'm really just relying on the story the guide at Chichen Itza told us. I told him I found it fairly implausible that people would strive to win knowing decapitation was the reward, meaning those matches (and only certain ones resulted in death) were probably pretty low quality. He took umbrage. If you want to go with the kids history, feel free.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16938

                              #3089
                              I think decapitating the losers would make for a better game. Not sure I'd buy into the "great honor to have your head cut off" thing as very motivating.

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21143

                                #3090
                                Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I think decapitating the losers would make for a better game. Not sure I'd buy into the "great honor to have your head cut off" thing as very motivating.
                                Maybe that's why the game died out.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...