No announcement yet.

Random Thoughts Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm at an analytics conference and Billy Beane is a keynote speaker. Lots of baseball geek data. Cool to hear the story from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

• Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
      I'm at an analytics conference and Billy Beane is a keynote speaker. Lots of baseball geek data. Cool to hear the story from the horse's mouth so to speak.
      Raise your hand and ask him how he feels about his trades this year.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• At one point he talked about how you can build a winning team with math. I wanted to ask if you can build a World Series Champ with it but I didn't get a chance.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

Comment

At one point he talked about how you can build a winning team with math. I wanted to ask if you can build a World Series Champ with it but I didn't get a chance.
          Well the short answer is yes, just not in Oakland.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
            Well the short answer is yes, just not in Oakland.
            He was actually pretty funny / self deprecating about it.

Comment

• Sadly we've moved on to health care analytics. Somebody shoot me.

Comment

Sadly we've moved on to health care analytics. Somebody shoot me.
                Hopefully there is someone there who can take care of someone with a GSW.
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

• Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  Hopefully there is someone there who can take care of someone with a GSW.
                  Lol. This place is thick with docs. Of course they're all admin types so ho knows if they have current skills.

Comment

distributed computing + healthcare == my job.
                    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                    - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                    - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Originally posted by lambdacoug View Post

distributed computing + healthcare == my job.
                      Mine too right now. It's good info, just not as interesting as baseball stats.

Comment

Its healthcare IINFORMATICS thank you very much
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          Its healthcare IINFORMATICS thank you very much
                          The conference is called the Healthcare Analytics Summit. You lose.

Informatics is much wider scoped IMO. This is about business intelligence / data mining, etc. the massive amounts of data that exist.

Comment

Informatics is much wider scoped IMO. This is about business intelligence / data mining, etc. the massive amounts of data that exist.
                            IMO they are one in the same but whatevs
                            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I'm not really doing the analytics/data mining stuff (that's another group), but I'm definitely doing healthcare "in the cloud" and laying the foundation for the analytics group to use the data for their stuff.
                              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                              - Howard Aiken

Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

Comment

• Bearder's remorse is a real thing.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                                X