Handicapped Parking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Scott R Nelson
    UofU/BYU mixed marriage
    • Apr 2010
    • 1508

    #1

    Handicapped Parking

    I was out riding my bike today and near the end of the ride I stopped in at a local fast food place to get a drink. While I was standing there consuming it, I watched an older guy pull into the last handicapped spot in the parking lot - a bit sideways to get more room for the driver's side door to open - then he put his handicapped parking permit on his mirror and walked in to get his breakfast. I couldn't see any obvious handicap other than age as he walked to the front to order, then walked to the back of the seating area to sit with a friend.

    Now I have nothing against anybody who qualifies for handicapped parking and I'm thankful that I don't qualify. What I wonder is: Why do they seem to feel obligated to park in a handicapped spot when there are other spaces available closer to the door? In this case there were two spots that were actually closer and they weren't real tight ones that make it difficult to get in and out of the car.


    I have a friend in Folsom who is wheelchair-bound. Nearly every time I do anything with him, he drives since his minivan works better for getting a wheelchair in and out. His minivan has hand controls for the throttle and brake. A while back we went to a car show at Cal Expo in Sacramento (where the California State Fair is held). We got the start time wrong and managed to get there an hour early. So we found a shady spot in the parking lot and talked until it was closer to the time when the gates opened.

    They had a whole row of handicapped spots near the entrance - probably 20 of them. What I found interesting was that every car that showed up that had a handicapped permit parked in handicapped parking, even though more than half of them seemed able to walk just fine and there were many spots still available that wouldn't have been any further from the gate. After about half of the spots had been taken, we decided that we had better grab one with enough room to get the wheelchair out before they were all gone.

    When going out to dinner with this friend it has often been an issue that there are no handicapped spots left close to the restaurant. When that happens, he'll just park further away and take two spots, parking centered over the line. It's the only way he has enough room to get in and out of his car. He never gets tickets for taking two spots, and so far nobody had gotten upset with a car having handicapped plates taking up two places. Rolling the extra distance is not an issue for this guy. We could have done the same at Cal Expo if we had waited too long for a handicapped spot.


    During the last few years of my mother's life, once she got into her 90's, she had a handicapped permit. She could walk okay with her walker up until maybe the last six months, but she couldn't see well enough to walk over rough ground or to climb over curbs. Whenever I took her someplace, if there was a reasonable non-handicapped spot, we would take that, since the extra distance wasn't usually an issue. It was only when there wasn't anything anywhere close to the entrance, or the walk from further away would have been difficult for her, that we parked in a handicapped spot. Apparently we were in the minority thinking that way.


    Do any of you have any insights into this type of behavior of taking a handicapped spot when it really isn't needed?

    [If this topic has been covered before, I sure couldn't find it in a search.]
  • Shaka
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2008
    • 10450

    #2
    A person's infirmities aren't always obvious.

    Comment

    • BigPiney
      Huge Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12367

      #3
      Umm, disabled is the correct term.

      Comment

      • Scott R Nelson
        UofU/BYU mixed marriage
        • Apr 2010
        • 1508

        #4
        Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
        Umm, disabled is the correct term.
        Yes, you're right. And I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find other faults with my essay writing skills. I should have used "compelled" where I used "obligated" for example.

        So, any comments related to the question that I posted?

        Comment

        • Copelius
          Maker of eyeballs
          • Dec 2012
          • 4061

          #5
          Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
          Yes, you're right. And I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to find other faults with my essay writing skills. I should have used "compelled" where I used "obligated" for example.

          So, any comments related to the question that I posted?
          Who are we to judge if needed or not. Before my mom was in her wheelchair or even had a cane, she had a sticker to deal with the difficulty she had walking. I am sure some looked at her during those years with disdain, thinking that she was pulling the wool over her Dr's eyes. Now, with a motorized chair and ramp van, she has to do what you friend does many times because there is not an available wheelchair parking space with room for her ramp. But all it takes is a note from the Dr. to DMV and you have the tag, no questions asked.

          I think the symbol used causes some perception issues for those who are not actually in a wheelchair. We see the wheelchair symbol and subconsciously expect most users to be wheelchair bound. When someone gets out that seems to get along as well as we do, or maybe better on a bad day, our natural suspicions kick in. Why do we get suspicious? Just throwing this out, but we wish we could get over too. Maybe too simplistic a view on humanity but those are my thoughts. Sorry for the rambling.
          “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #6
            hey scott just fyi we don't call african american folks "negroes" anymore. ywia.
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21142

              #7
              Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
              They had a whole row of handicapped spots near the entrance - probably 20 of them. What I found interesting was that every car that showed up that had a handicapped permit parked in handicapped parking, even though more than half of them seemed able to walk just fine and there were many spots still available that wouldn't have been any further from the gate.
              You have a selection bias issue. Cars that don't park in disabled parking spots have no need to display their permits, even if they have them. Just because you don't see a disabled parking permit displayed doesn't necessarily mean that those cars don't have them.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #8
                My grandfather could walk no problem, for about a mile. Then, the five heart attacks started to get to him. His color would start to get a little wan, and having that car close to the door was important to him at the end of his shopping trip. We can't always tell what someone's infirmities are. Trust in the system and let law enforcement deal with people who cheat it.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • Color Me Badd Fan
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12519

                  #9
                  You guys are full of shit, half the news stories on ADA lawsuit trolls refer to "handicap" parking spots.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    You guys are full of shit, half the news stories on ADA lawsuit trolls refer to "handicap" parking spots.
                    The South isn't known for being PC:


                    https://dor.georgia.gov/sites/dor.ge...orm_MV9D_0.pdf

                    http://www.dmv.org/al-alabama/disabled-drivers.php


                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #11
                      You ought to let the New York Times know

                      Now, there’s an app to help bring to justice those with the audacity to park illegally in handicap spaces.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • Color Me Badd Fan
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 12519

                        #12
                        While you're at it, call the Denver Post too

                        http://www.denverpost.com/2017/02/23...tion-lawsuits/
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69713

                          #13
                          Good grief. Is this really a thing? We can't say handicap now?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Color Me Badd Fan
                            Senior Member
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12519

                            #14
                            Have time for the San Jose Mercury news Wuap?

                            http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/04/1...king-bay-area/
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69713

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                              Have time for the San Jose Mercury news Wuap?

                              http://www.mercurynews.com/2016/04/1...king-bay-area/
                              “He’s the worst of the worst. It’s a total shakedown,” said Sacramento attorney Michael Welch, who has represented hundreds of clients sued by Johnson. “These cases are all about attorney fees, not about ADA.”
                              Adam: "Hold my Diet Coke."
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              Working...