Why are chiropractors scam artists?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #61
    Okay, since we're all into the n=1 back pain cures, here's my story.

    I have ankylosing spondylitis. Forgive the spelling. Diagnosed at 20 on my mission, which is early. Genetic markers, X-rays, etc. all back this up.

    I cannot even begin to describe the pain. Took me at least an hour every day to get out of bed.

    Use to be that I would have flare ups roughly every spring and fall when seasons change. Debilitating.

    Then I lost weight, started exercising, got strong, and used NSAIDs. No problems since. Minor stiffness.

    The chiro treating my dad for 30 years didn't help him at all. But he loses some weight and starts exercising, and no more problems.

    Losing weight and exercise are the two things that are under prescribed and that I think are pretty much cure-alls.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • San Juan Sun
      Kicked to the curb
      • Dec 2009
      • 9214

      #62
      Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
      You then attacked me for an unrelated post in another thread.

      I am sorry if you found something objectionable in my statement that I don't agree with you.

      Why you are so upset about me saying I worked with a surgeon who was out of his depth is beyond me.
      I didn't feel the need to respond to your other thread, as Cardiac did a nice job in saying what I was thinking. I would not characterize myself as upset either. If you felt attacked, well, you should know that your germane comments outside a thread but within a forum may be introduced as evidence for the defense.

      If you would like to take the discussion of the other surgeon back to that thread, I understand. I believe that someone asked you to further elaborate on why he was out of his depth. I would appreciate it if you could do so. I have a pretty significant experience with open and endovascular AAA repair for my level of training, as well as experience with reps, and would be very interested to hear why this surgeon was unsafe. I would also like to hear about what you did regarding the situation. Did you discuss the issue with the surgeon? Did you discuss it in your departmental meetings or with your hospital's Risk Management or Medical Executive committee meetings? I know each institution has different processes, and I'd be very interested to hear about how yours works.

      Also, I'm still waiting for you to tell me how I'm wrong about LBP. Perhaps it went over the head of this simple surgeon. Upon reflection however, I think we may be talking about different patient populations. If you do a lot of pain management, wouldn't it be safe to say that you don't see the run of the mill LBP, the kind that never makes it to your office because they get better?
      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

      - Ty Cobb

      Comment

      • SoonerCoug
        Joycelyn Elders Supporter
        • Nov 2008
        • 4680

        #63
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        Losing weight and exercise are the two things that are under prescribed and that I think are pretty much cure-alls.
        The corollary to this is that if you want someone's health to really tank, order a motorized wheelchair for them. I got lots of experience doing this and filling out disability paperwork in my residency. There is even a crazy guy who cuts off cars with his motorized wheelchair to beg for money at an intersection by my home.

        That said, there are plenty of skinny people with horrible inflammatory arthritis that does not improve with lifestyle modification.
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

        http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

        Comment

        • Joe Public
          8.1 YPC
          • Apr 2011
          • 8525

          #64
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          The upside of going to a chiro instead of a masseuse is being able to avoid the inevitable "happy ending" question.
          Wait, they don't ask you the "happy ending" question? What kind of crap chiropractor are you going to?
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

          "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18027

            #65
            Here's my n=1 and apochryphal stories.

            I had bad asthma as a kid. Effective treatment wasn't as well recognized as it is now, so my mom was at her wit's end. She tried everything, including a chiropracter who was more than willing to try to help me. For some reason, the chiropracter also did accupuncture on me. We went for about a month of procedures. Of course, nothing he did helped.

            My aunt went to one for bad back pain. Her chiropracter had her lay on her back while he examined her. She abruptly stopped the exam after he put his finger in her belly button and started sensing her energy.

            I'm curious about the licensing body of chiropractry. Every month my state's licensing body publishes a list of physicians/PAs who are disciplined for unethical or dangerous behaviour. There are about 20 names each month. I wonder how vigilant chiropractry is with their docs.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #66
              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              I've mentioned my experience a few times in different threads. I experienced what I believe is a fairly common injury (herniated disk causing sciatica) and had what I believe to be a fairly common experience of frustration dealing with health care professionals who all take different approaches and no one seems to know what to do. The docs here on this board I would include in my generalization of professionals who don't appear to really understand the issue.

              Sorry docs.
              There's a big difference between understanding the issue and being able to fix it.

              I also don't know how you're defining "health care professionals" or who you're seeing. There is a very defined treatment protocol to treating lumbar disc radiculopathies. Sure, it can be improved and tweaked, but I would guess that 90% of legitimate "health care professionals" follow it. And it's pretty successful (some of that stems from the fact that this is usually a self-limited condition anyway). Sure, there will be refractory cases, but that doesn't mean we don't know what's going on.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • doctorcoug
                To Win is to Honor Him
                • Jun 2009
                • 2273

                #67
                Originally posted by TexTechCoug View Post
                Most chronic back pain is bone and nerve, yes. Pain is a required part of my specialty and although I didn't do a fellowship in pain I have probably personally performed 100+ interventional procedures in the last 18 months.
                You have fallen into the trap of defining the prevalence of disease based upon what you see in clinic. You should have said, "Most chronic back pain PRESENTING TO AN ANESTHESIOLOGIST is bone and nerve". The actual fact is pretty much what SJS summed up.

                Let me take a page from your book...I see about 10 patients a day with back pain. I've sent 1 to an "interventionalist" in the last month (the only patient that got an MRI due to red flag symptoms). Only one patient due to "bones and nerves". Everybody else was muscle/connective tissue.

                Lots of NSAIDs, reasonable amount of PT, fair amount of trigger point injections (hey, sooner, saline works just as well as lidocaine here), fair amount of OMM (for the acute back pains), no narcotics, and...NO x-rays! And...they all seem to get better; it is amazing what the tincture of time will do
                "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #68
                  Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                  You have fallen into the trap of defining the prevalence of disease based upon what you see in clinic. You should have said, "Most chronic back pain PRESENTING TO AN ANESTHESIOLOGIST is bone and nerve". The actual fact is pretty much what SJS summed up.

                  Let me take a page from your book...I see about 10 patients a day with back pain. I've sent 1 to an "interventionalist" in the last month (the only patient that got an MRI due to red flag symptoms). Only one patient due to "bones and nerves". Everybody else was muscle/connective tissue.

                  Lots of NSAIDs, reasonable amount of PT, fair amount of trigger point injections (hey, sooner, saline works just as well as lidocaine here), fair amount of OMM (for the acute back pains), no narcotics, and...NO x-rays! And...they all seem to get better; it is amazing what the tincture of time will do
                  Just fyi, when I herniated my disk, I initially went to my family doc. He diagnosed me with a muscle strain, gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant and sent me on my way. I didn't go back to him to tell him he diagnosed me wrong.

                  Comment

                  • doctorcoug
                    To Win is to Honor Him
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 2273

                    #69
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    Just fyi, when I herniated my disk, I initially went to my family doc. He diagnosed me with a muscle strain, gave me a prescription for a muscle relaxant and sent me on my way. I didn't go back to him to tell him he diagnosed me wrong.
                    Did you notice that I don't prescribe muscle relaxants? I treat those with OMM and they do come back, almost all of them, mainly to say "thanks".
                    "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

                    "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

                    Comment

                    • San Juan Sun
                      Kicked to the curb
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9214

                      #70
                      Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                      Did you notice that I don't prescribe muscle relaxants? I treat those with OMM and they do come back, almost all of them, mainly to say "thanks".
                      "Give me my Soma and Percocets, dammit!"

                      Glad to see you back DC, I hope all is well.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                      - Ty Cobb

                      Comment

                      • Mrs. Funk
                        Lawyer Wannabe
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 2690

                        #71
                        This might sound like a dumb question, but I have no background in this. Osteopath's are MDs, right? Is it better to see an osteopath than a chiropractor? I would think the osteopath would probably be more expensive, but like I said no background.
                        "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                        Comment

                        • SoonerCoug
                          Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4680

                          #72
                          Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          "Give me my Soma and Percocets, dammit!"

                          Glad to see you back DC, I hope all is well.
                          Where do you live? The only people I have ever seen on Soma live way out in the sticks.
                          That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                          http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                          Comment

                          • SoonerCoug
                            Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4680

                            #73
                            Originally posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
                            This might sound like a dumb question, but I have no background in this. Osteopath's are MDs, right? Is it better to see an osteopath than a chiropractor? I would think the osteopath would probably be more expensive, but like I said no background.
                            Osteopaths are not MDs. Osteopaths are DOs. Osteopaths learn the same things that MDs learn in medical school, so they are licensed physicians. Chiropractors do not learn medicine.
                            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                            http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                            Comment

                            • Mrs. Funk
                              Lawyer Wannabe
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 2690

                              #74
                              Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                              Osteopaths are not MDs. Osteopaths are DOs. Osteopaths learn the same things that MDs learn in medical school, so they are licensed physicians. Chiropractors do not learn medicine.
                              I see. I guess alternative medicine junkies (which I am not) would argue that it doesn't matter that chiros don't learn medicine. I would imagine the practice of an osteopath and a chiropractor would be very different as to modality and philosophy.
                              "You know, I was looking at your shirt and your scarf and I was thinking that if you had leaned over, I could have seen everything." ~Trial Ad Judge

                              Comment

                              • San Juan Sun
                                Kicked to the curb
                                • Dec 2009
                                • 9214

                                #75
                                Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                                Osteopaths are not MDs. Osteopaths are DOs. Osteopaths learn the same things that MDs learn in medical school, so they are licensed physicians. Chiropractors do not learn medicine.
                                Pretty much what Sooner said, except that DOs get some training in musculoskeletal medicine that MDs usually don't get in medical school. Of course, my humble opinion is that DOs/MDs really need a good residency or fellowship to practice any kind of manipulation.
                                "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                                - Ty Cobb

                                Comment

                                Working...