New phone advice

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ERCougar
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10978

    #16
    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
    Got my Galaxy SIII today. I have no need to wait for the iPhone 5. I'll also believe it when I see it that the iPhone 5 will have a larger screen. The iPhone 4S was also supposed to have a larger screen. I'm still amazed that the iPhone 4S somehow came out without 4G, without at least a 1 gig of RAM, and with a 3.5 inch screen.

    My advice, just go get the GSIII.
    I'll admit that when I stopped into the store, I was tempted by the S3--it's a nice feel and size. However, I'm just sick of things not working well or smoothly. Android seems to cater to the people who want to spend time tinkering with and customizing their super powerful phone to do exactly what they want in the way that they want it. I don't really care about all that--I just want one that works reliably and smoothly. Apple still seems way ahead of Android in this respect--usability--at least if I base things on how my iPad has worked.

    But I'm open to input--the last thing I want to do is switch over to Apple and then find myself with the same frustrations that I had with my Droid.
    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #17
      Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
      I'll admit that when I stopped into the store, I was tempted by the S3--it's a nice feel and size. However, I'm just sick of things not working well or smoothly. Android seems to cater to the people who want to spend time tinkering with and customizing their super powerful phone to do exactly what they want in the way that they want it. I don't really care about all that--I just want one that works reliably and smoothly. Apple still seems way ahead of Android in this respect--usability--at least if I base things on how my iPad has worked.

      But I'm open to input--the last thing I want to do is switch over to Apple and then find myself with the same frustrations that I had with my Droid.
      No, you won't have same frustrations you had with Droid by switching to the iPhone. It will be all new frustrations.
      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #18
        Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        No, you won't have same frustrations you had with Droid by switching to the iPhone. It will be all new frustrations.
        Exactly. Like wanting to customize your phone to be exactly what you want and can't.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #19
          I recently ditched my Blackberry and debated over Android or Apple. I'm like ER and just want something that works well. I ended up with the Galaxy Nexus phone, and I love it. It does everything well and I've had no problems with it. Easy to use.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • hostile
            lollygagger
            • Dec 2009
            • 5736

            #20
            Crap. On call last night and I lost my phone. I think it fell out of my pocket as I was putting a cast on a kid. I didn't realize it and it probably got sent out with the trash or linen. No luck with "Find my iphone." Only 7 months into my current contract so I'll be paying full price for a new one.
            "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

            "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 38003

              #21
              Originally posted by hostile View Post
              Crap. On call last night and I lost my phone. I think it fell out of my pocket as I was putting a cast on a kid. I didn't realize it and it probably got sent out with the trash or linen. No luck with "Find my iphone." Only 7 months into my current contract so I'll be paying full price for a new one.
              $650?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #22
                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                Exactly. Like wanting to customize your phone to be exactly what you want and can't.
                My biggest frustration with my iPhone is with Siri not laughing at my jokes.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • LA Ute
                  Receiver of Memory
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 19512

                  #23
                  Originally posted by hostile View Post
                  Crap. On call last night and I lost my phone. I think it fell out of my pocket as I was putting a cast on a kid. I didn't realize it and it probably got sent out with the trash or linen. No luck with "Find my iphone." Only 7 months into my current contract so I'll be paying full price for a new one.
                  Arghh! You don't have AppleCare? If you're not sure, check, because if you do, you get a new phone, no questions asked (well, very few). Don't ask me how I know this....
                  “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                  ― W.H. Auden


                  "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                  -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                  "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                  --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                  Comment

                  • San Juan Sun
                    Kicked to the curb
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 9214

                    #24
                    Looks like rice solved the case of the toilet-slogged iPhone.
                    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                    - Ty Cobb

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #25
                      For those anxiously awaiting a resolution...
                      I stopped into the Verizon store to see if they could fix my phone. Nope. So I took a look at the S3, liked the shiny new toy I could have now better than the one I'd have to wait for and bought it.
                      It's pretty cool. An iPhone killer, they say.

                      Seriously, I thought it seemed silly to drop another 50-100 to get a crappy phone to tide me over, just for the privilege of buying an iPhone, which lots are saying isn't going to be as good as this one anyway.

                      It whistles at me when I get a text!

                      Mpfunk, We need to start a thread on cool stuff the S3 can do.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • TalkyTina
                        Killer doll
                        • May 2012
                        • 202

                        #26
                        Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                        I recently ditched my Blackberry and debated over Android or Apple. I'm like ER and just want something that works well. I ended up with the Galaxy Nexus phone, and I love it. It does everything well and I've had no problems with it. Easy to use.
                        My husband got a Nexus earlier this week when his Blackberry died for good. He likes it. I just have the SGS. I was too cheap to shell out $150 for an upgrade this week.

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 38003

                          #27
                          Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
                          Looks like rice solved the case of the toilet-slogged iPhone.
                          So it works? Nice. Too bad your rice is all soggy now.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #28
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            So it works? Nice. Too bad your rice is all soggy now.
                            It is just a little soggy. Cook it up, SJS.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • scottie
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5247

                              #29
                              Latest rumor pegs Apple's debut of iPhone 5 in September

                              (I will never own a non-iPhone again...)

                              Comment

                              • Clark Addison
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10316

                                #30
                                Originally posted by scottie View Post
                                Latest rumor pegs Apple's debut of iPhone 5 in September

                                (I will never own a non-iPhone again...)
                                They need to release it soon, since everyone is waiting until it comes to buy a new one (see ER and yesterday's earning announcement).

                                Comment

                                Working...