Suicide

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #16
    Originally posted by TheAzzuri View Post
    I agree that while it isn't PC, it is reality. We have some very very close friends that are dealing with a very severe case of bi-polar disorder in one of their children.
    May I ask how old? Pediatric bipolar disorder is incredibly difficult to treat, and the long-term prognosis is, well, depressing. The morbidity rate is quite high, so the parents are wise to consider every option available to help and protect their son.

    That is little reassurance to the mother, who is plagued with guilt and grief nonetheless.








    .
    Last edited by Babs; 04-14-2009, 10:39 AM. Reason: pesky pronouns.

    Comment

    • Babs
      Not a Lawyer
      • Nov 2008
      • 17128

      #17
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      I would always wonder if she made the decision from a logical place, or if the disease made her do it.
      I think the point is that either way, she's free. Of course, she leaves her loved ones behind imprisoned in guilt and grief, but she herself is free.

      Comment

      • FMCoug
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 6825

        #18
        Originally posted by Babs View Post
        That's amazing that she endured so long.
        Yes it is. My grandmother (her Mom) was there for her the entire time ... a great example of a Mother's love. And my Mom was an almost heroic example of "enduring to the end"

        Interestingly, my grandmother died just a couple of years after my Mom. She was in her 90's so no big surprise but her health went WAY downhill after my Mom died.
        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

        Comment

        • TheAzzuri
          Junior Member
          • Mar 2009
          • 454

          #19
          Originally posted by Babs View Post
          May I ask how old? Pediatric bipolar disorder is incredibly difficult to treat, and the long-term prognosis is, well, depressing. The morbidity rate is quite high, so the parents are wise to consider every option available to help and protect their son.

          That is little reassurance to the mother, who is plagued with guilt and grief nonetheless.



          .
          He's 10. I think they are doing their best to ignore the statistics you cite while remaining open to every possibility. Sadly, a mental hospital may be the only option before long. I just ache for them.

          I'm not sure I can wrap my head around that kind of constant suffering. As TD mentioned in the thread on IVF, I'm just going to hug my kids for a while and be grateful.

          Comment

          • UtahDan
            *
            • Nov 2008
            • 14496

            #20
            And now another one. This just happens everywhere every day I guess.

            I don't understand it. I don't understand why people have to carry these unbelievable unseen burdens around that are so heavy that they fold under them. So much of the suffering in the world seems so pointless. There is no explanation I have ever heard that is satisfying. If I ever see God, this is going to be my first question.

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #21
              I think many people's tipping point is closer than they and others are aware of or are willing to admit.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • RC Vikings
                Known Heterosexual
                • Nov 2008
                • 8789

                #22
                What are the signs of someone who is bipolar?

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #23
                  My dad was friends with a homicide detective when I was younger... the guy had been a cop for a long, long time and was considered one of the best. He got involved in a case where an armored car has been robbed and all the guards killed by the perpetrators. He spent the next few months chasing down the guy who did it and got completely wrapped up in the investigation. During this time, he unfortunately neglected his family, and his stepdaughter actually attempted suicide. He was able to close the case and moved away soon after, so I never did find out what happened with the stepdaughter. Definitely a sad situation.

                  Comment

                  • Fiyero
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5266

                    #24
                    Sorry to hear this Dan. During the spring there was a stretch where I knew five suicides in six weeks, but fortunately there's been only one since then. I don't know if numbers are on the rise, or if things have always been this way and I'm just getting older.

                    Comment

                    • I.J. Reilly
                      Nobody's Fool
                      • Apr 2009
                      • 2949

                      #25
                      It's so hard to get inside the head of those that commit suicide or attempt it. I had a high school classmate who over the weekend committed suicide. I knew a family whose son did the same and the younger brother found him after he hung himself. I have had near and dear family members who have attempted it. There is a desperation there that is hard for many to understand. At times, release from the sadness/unhappiness/depression seems to be the only way out. I cannot imagine harsh punishment for those who are in such a fragile state.

                      Comment

                      • mUUser
                        Giggity
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 1142

                        #26
                        If nothing else Dan, I feel inspired to literally sit down, face-to-face with each of my kids today, and let them know how special they are, and how much I, and God, loves them.

                        19? -- this breaks my heart.

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #27
                          Bump. Also, did JohnnyLingo get unbanned? Kill the fatted calf!
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #28
                            Originally posted by I.J. Reilly View Post
                            It's so hard to get inside the head of those that commit suicide or attempt it. I had a high school classmate who over the weekend committed suicide. I knew a family whose son did the same and the younger brother found him after he hung himself. I have had near and dear family members who have attempted it. There is a desperation there that is hard for many to understand. At times, release from the sadness/unhappiness/depression seems to be the only way out. I cannot imagine harsh punishment for those who are in such a fragile state.
                            Originally posted by “best writer of his generation”
                            The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling."
                            ...
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69747

                              #29
                              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                              Bump. Also, did JohnnyLingo get unbanned? Kill the fatted calf!
                              Yes. He didn't request it and we haven't heard from him in ages, but we decided in retrospect that he got a raw deal. All he did was say mean things to wuap and cause a few volcanic eruptions. I mean, who among us hasn't done that?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • wuapinmon
                                Soul Plumber
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 30711

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Yes. He didn't request it and we haven't heard from him in ages, but we decided in retrospect that he got a raw deal. All he did was say mean things to wuap and cause a few volcanic eruptions. I mean, who among us hasn't done that?
                                I mean, if memory serves, he did hope that my gallbladder would explode and kill me. But, looking back, it just makes me laugh. I'd welcome him back, along with all his stupid opinions.
                                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                                Comment

                                Working...