Para los hispanohablantes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Just hit 365 days on my Duolingo streak.

I've also started occasionally watching Spanish language TV - especially movies that I've seen before in English and generally know what is being said. They are very helpful for learning vocabulary and phrases as well as getting used to the fast pace of speech.
    How well do you think you're doing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      How well do you think you're doing?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Better than if I did nothing at all; however, there is no substitute for complete immersion that forces you to speak in a foreign language.

Comment

• Nice work, BFM!

I'm still working on my Duo streak, but it pales in comparison to Lebowskis.

I did spend spring break in Mexico and had plenty of opportunities to practice. While far from fluent or even conversational, I was surprised at how well I was able to get by on nothing more than using the app everyday and occasionally going to the new Spanish branch in our stake.

I did start watching a Netflix show in Spanish with English subtitles recently. Hearing the dialogue is great, but its a good show, so I find myself focusing more on the subtitles than on trying to understand what they're saying.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
          Nice work, BFM!

I did spend spring break in Mexico and had plenty of opportunities to practice. While far from fluent or even conversational, I was surprised at how well I was able to get by on nothing more than using the app everyday and occasionally going to the new Spanish branch in our stake.

I did start watching a Netflix show in Spanish with English subtitles recently. Hearing the dialogue is great, but its a good show, so I find myself focusing more on the subtitles than on trying to understand what they're saying.
          627 days! The longer it gets, the more motivated I am to make sure I don't break the streak.

What Netflix show? I watch Netflix shows in Japanese to stay current and it works great. I need to start mixing in some Espanol.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

627 days! The longer it gets, the more motivated I am to make sure I don't break the streak.

What Netflix show? I watch Netflix shows in Japanese to stay current and it works great. I need to start mixing in some Espanol espaƱol.
            fify
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
              Nice work, BFM!

I started watching the Netflix show 3% and was shocked at how little Spanish I still understood. I felt better when I found it was a Brazilian show and they were speaking Portugese.
              "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I started watching the Netflix show 3% and was shocked at how little Spanish I still understood. I felt better when I found it was a Brazilian show and they were speaking Portugese.

Portuguese sounds like a drunk Spaniard.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Portuguese sounds like a drunk Spaniard.
                  oof. I went to Brazil for a couple days and picked up rudimentary Portuguese. I would describe it as a more slurred and cacophonic version of Spanish.
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

What Netflix show? I watch Netflix shows in Japanese to stay current and it works great. I need to start mixing in some Espanol.
                    I think I'm at 577 days today. I'm in it for the long haul.....

I'm watching Money Heist. I didn't realize it was in Spanish until I started watching. Its a good show. It is Spain Spanish, which sounds like it is slightly different than the Central American variety, but most words that I try to focus in on are the same or very similar. Viewer discretion is advised. I've re-learned a few words that I haven't heard since I was working construction as a teenager.

Comment

• My wife was fairly impressed with how useful my Spanish was on our spring break trip, so she started up on Duolingo as well. She's at 32 or 33 days and is really enjoying it. Its been kind of fun to have something in common that we're both working on. Gotta start working on some hobbies since we only have 3 years until our youngest graduates from high school!!!

Comment

How many "streak freezes" have you had to use to keep that 627 days?

Comment

• All this duolingo talk today got me to install the app and get all the way through lesson 1 for French. Now I know a little about chat, homme, femme, fille, cheval, chien, etc.
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Maybe 1-2. And those were related to long flights without internet access.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I had to use one when I did a 3 day backpacking trip last summer. I did a Duo lesson in the extreme early hours on the drive up to the trailhead, streak freeze on Saturday, and then back to civilization on Sunday.

Comment

• Well you guys are better than me. I had to use 4 or 5 freezes to get my streak to the 365 day mark.

Comment

Working...
                                X