Emails with my Mother

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HauteCoug
    Wants a Silver Fox
    • Oct 2011
    • 899

    #46
    Originally posted by hostile View Post
    Well you are the expert on the high ground (road)
    every time I see your icon/avatar I think, "when did Chris Pine play a rugby player?"
    what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

    Comment

    • doctorcoug
      To Win is to Honor Him
      • Jun 2009
      • 2273

      #47
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      From this day forward I will refer to her as TerreHauteCoug.
      Is this in reference to the NCAA Cross Country championship Course?
      "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

      "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

      Comment

      • Viking
        Banned
        • Jun 2009
        • 6470

        #48
        Mom: "Leave me alone. No more. I'm too busy for this nonsense. I still love you."

        Phew!

        Comment

        • HauteCoug
          Wants a Silver Fox
          • Oct 2011
          • 899

          #49
          The funniest thing she's ever said:

          You must read more of all sides of the issues before making such dogmatic statements.
          what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

          Comment

          • doctorcoug
            To Win is to Honor Him
            • Jun 2009
            • 2273

            #50
            Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
            The funniest thing she's ever said:
            That's nucking futz
            "Don't expect I'll see you 'till after the race"

            "So where does the power come from to see the race to its end...from within"

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25268

              #51
              I see you all come by your great senses of humor very honestly.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • HauteCoug
                Wants a Silver Fox
                • Oct 2011
                • 899

                #52
                Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
                That's nucking futz
                The context? She told me we need to be cautious of allowing too many Muslims into the country.

                This is also a good one:

                Hitler was the ultimate socialist.
                what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #53
                  Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
                  The context? She told me we need to be cautious of allowing too many Muslims into the country.

                  This is also a good one:
                  Ask yourself what your mom means by her comment, because, she's not entirely wrong. Not right, but also not entirely wrong.
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • HauteCoug
                    Wants a Silver Fox
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 899

                    #54
                    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                    Ask yourself what your mom means by her comment, because, she's not entirely wrong. Not right, but also not entirely wrong.
                    About which comment? Because I'd love to see a legitimate argument for Hitler being the ultimate socialist.
                    what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                    Comment

                    • Jacob
                      Junior Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 6801

                      #55
                      Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
                      About which comment? Because I'd love to see a legitimate argument for Hitler being the ultimate socialist.
                      He was the head of the National Socialist Party in Germany. I'm not sure if that qualifies him as "the ultimate socialist" but it probably qualifies him as a socialist.

                      Comment

                      • dabrockster
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 10947

                        #56
                        I pray your mother never comes across CUF and connects the dots.. Seems very distasteful to mock your own mother in such a public setting..


                        jmo...

                        Comment

                        • HauteCoug
                          Wants a Silver Fox
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 899

                          #57
                          Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                          He was the head of the National Socialist Party in Germany. I'm not sure if that qualifies him as "the ultimate socialist" but it probably qualifies him as a socialist.
                          But would we really call it modern socialism, which is the comparison she is drawing. She loves to throw out the "isms" to try and scare us into submission, and "socialist" has become synonymous with "person who disagrees with me politically".
                          what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                          Comment

                          • HauteCoug
                            Wants a Silver Fox
                            • Oct 2011
                            • 899

                            #58
                            Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                            I pray your mother never comes across CUF and connects the dots.. Seems very distasteful to mock your own mother in such a public setting..


                            jmo...
                            she'll be fine. she's entirely oblivious.
                            what I am is what I am and I does what I does.

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #59
                              Originally posted by HauteCoug View Post
                              About which comment? Because I'd love to see a legitimate argument for Hitler being the ultimate socialist.
                              Hitler called himself a socialist because he understood the difference between patriotism and nationalism. He hated patriots, but reveled in nationalism. He also understood that the opposite of nationalism is socialism, and that conservatism and liberalism no longer really exist. In modern America, the Republicans are not conservatives--they are nationalists. The Democrats are not liberals--they are socialists. Hitler combined the two terms because he didn't seek to nationalize industry like a socialist; he nationalized the German people like a socialist. I'd venture that Stalin and Mao studied Hitler and employed many of his ideas into their Soviet and Sino FascCommunism. The Il Family has done the same thing in North Korea. They are no communists; they are nationalist hiding behind nationalism disguised as socialism/communism.

                              Hitler was a socialist in the nationalist sense.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • Jacob
                                Junior Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 6801

                                #60
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                Hitler called himself a socialist because he understood the difference between patriotism and nationalism. He hated patriots, but reveled in nationalism. He also understood that the opposite of nationalism is socialism, and that conservatism and liberalism no longer really exist. In modern America, the Republicans are not conservatives--they are nationalists. The Democrats are not liberals--they are socialists. Hitler combined the two terms because he didn't seek to nationalize industry like a socialist; he nationalized the German people like a socialist. I'd venture that Stalin and Mao studied Hitler and employed many of his ideas into their Soviet and Sino FascCommunism. The Il Family has done the same thing in North Korea. They are no communists; they are nationalist hiding behind nationalism disguised as socialism/communism.

                                Hitler was a socialist in the nationalist sense.
                                I think it's quite a bit more complicated than that. I'm no expert on Hitler's economic ideology, but it is largely overshadowed by his other, more evil, ideological beliefs--war, nationalism, and antisemitism. But for the purposes of discussing whether he was a socialist, I think we need to focus largely on his economic ideology and actions. Contrary to your post, he did nationalize industry, though not as much as the communists. He hated both the communists and the capitalists, it seems. It also seems that he may have moved away from socialism in the later years, but who cares about all that? He was much too busy at war with the world and slaughtering innocents.

                                Clearly, he's not the "ultimate socialist" but the way he ran things, i.e. increased centralization and nationalization of industry, tended to be more socialist than capitalist, although he apparently also had some respect for the incentives of markets and private property. He was a tyrant and tyranny leads to more government control, not more open markets. Certainly he doesn't fit into any neat economics box. He probably ran the economy like he ran everything else--as a psychopath.

                                Comment

                                Working...