Simple things

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • cowboy
    Homer Weems
    • Dec 2008
    • 5740

    #1

    Simple things

    This is a thread for listing the simple things that you really enjoy. I wrote a song once that listed a whole bunch of them, but I won't bother with it right now. Instead, I'll just list two things that I especially appreciate this time of year, and then add more later.

    First, warm dry feet at the end of a cold day. I spend many winter days in the cold on a horse, and my hands and feet are often cold for most of the day. Riding a horse can be especially cold because your feet are just hanging out in the wind in the stirrups and having to wear spurs limits the size and type of shoes you can wear. On cold days after my feet have been numb for most of the day there is nothing quite as enjoyable as warming them up in a hot shower and then putting wool socks on and sitting by the fire, which is number two.

    Fire. I love a winter campfire. When I'm gathering cattle in the winter I often build a small fire at noon to warm up and cook my lunch. It's amazing how good a hot burrito or toasted sandwich tastes with a hot drink when you in the middle of nowhere and it's freezing cold. I'll cook lunch, warm up my fingers and toes, and dry my socks out if necessary, and then I'm good to go.

    I have a lot more, but that will do for now. You're turn.
    sigpic
    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #2
    A clean shave and a dirty woman.

    Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • Mormon Red Death
      BYU Delenda Est
      • Nov 2008
      • 8077

      #3
      Actually, for me its Saturday in the fall and sitting down to watch a football game or games.

      Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk
      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

      "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

      Comment

      • Shaka
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 10450

        #4
        When I spend extended time in weather I love a nice hot bath. Now that I have a hot tub I'm looking forward to seeing how that fits into the picture. I've been using it after the gym every other night (after a quick shower of course) and it has been awesome. While it's not the fanciest tub out there it does have a lounger section with jets that blast right into my back. Feels incredible and really helps be relax before bedtime. Because it's outdoors I had to buy a fleece hat because the air and steam combine to make my shaved head cold.

        Comment

        • RobinFinderson
          Banned
          • Nov 2008
          • 10548

          #5
          Church-free Sundays.

          Comment

          • FN Phat
            I ♥ gateway sex
            • Feb 2009
            • 8691

            #6
            Sunrise on the Ohio River.
            I'm your huckleberry.


            "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

            Comment

            • LA Ute
              Receiver of Memory
              • Nov 2008
              • 19512

              #7
              A good book, a fire, and a cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter night. A dog sleeping at my feet is a bonus.
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden


              "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


              "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

              Comment

              • The_Tick
                Made something of myself
                • Nov 2008
                • 7297

                #8
                Baking or cooking. I have done over 600 cookies and 8 batches of fudge the last 4 days. Really relaxing.

                And there is something about spending 12 hours hip deep in a river fly fishing that just helps me appreciate God and what he has created.

                Comment

                • New Mexican Disaster
                  Suomalainen
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 4549

                  #9
                  When the census bureau releases new population statistics.

                  Comment

                  • Levin
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 1152

                    #10
                    A clean house
                    My sleeping children
                    a solitary 9 holes of golf
                    reading the Wall STreet Journal every morning

                    Comment

                    • MarkGrace
                      Grooveshark dick tease
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 31546

                      #11
                      My couch.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69735

                        #12
                        Sunday dinner with the family. My favorite time of the week.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #13
                          Coming home everyday and having two kids run up to me elated that I am home. I rue the day this will end.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                            Coming home everyday and having two kids run up to me elated that I am home. I rue the day this will end.
                            This is the moment I live for every day. My 10 year old still races her two siblings to get to me first.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • FN Phat
                              I ♥ gateway sex
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 8691

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Coming home everyday and having two kids run up to me elated that I am home. I rue the day this will end.
                              Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                              This is the moment I live for every day. My 10 year old still races her two siblings to get to me first.
                              I couldn't agree more. My 2 yr old beats the older kids every day. One by one they take turns running, while screaming daddy!, and jump into my arms. I love it.
                              I'm your huckleberry.


                              "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                              Comment

                              Working...