Dress Shirts

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Art Vandelay
    Striving for mediocrity
    • Jul 2009
    • 10516

    #346
    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

    By checkered, do you mean windowpane?
    Just looked up windowpane. Yes, that is what i meant.

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25266

      #347
      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Just looked up windowpane. Yes, that is what i meant.
      I'm not saying it's not out there somewhere, but I get a lot of targeted advertising (and even snail-mail catalogs) from shirt companies. And I'm not seeing a whole lot of white-on-white anything lately. Lots of textures, but pretty much zero white on white.

      Tangent: there was actually a white-on-white skull and cross bones from Twillory a year or two ago that I was considering as a sort of novelty. But it was not wrinkle-free, and from the photographs, it was clear it was one of those shirts that is a wrinkled mess the first time you sit in your car. So I passed.

      EDIT: I thought I posted about it here. Indeed, I did.

      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      Never tried TM Lewin. Ive seen the ads, but nothing there has really caught my eye. I bought a couple shirts from Twillory this holiday season. (tangent: They actually had a white on white dress shirt with pirate skull and cross bones that was pretty cool--it was subtle enough that you could get away with it in any setting. But I could tell from the photos that it was going to be a constant wrinkled mess. So I passed on it (I believe flystripper alluded to this in another thread--he must have seen my comment on fb)). But I picked up a couple other shirts, and I like them a lot. Good material. Good fit. Except they don't do exact sleeve lengths. Grrrr. They were a good enough deal that I ordered them anyway, and am having the sleeves tailored. I also snagges 4 more CTs this holiday season. My winter wardrobe is set for a couple years.

      Edit: Here is a screen cap of the Jolly Roger. Pretty sweet, but when you can't even keep it pressed long enough for the photo shoot to look decent, that's a bad sign.

      [ATTACH]8452[/ATTACH]
      [ATTACH]8453[/ATTACH]
      Last edited by Donuthole; 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • Art Vandelay
        Striving for mediocrity
        • Jul 2009
        • 10516

        #348
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I'm not saying it's not out there somewhere, but I get a lot of targeted advertising (and even snail-mail catalogs) from shirt companies. And I'm not seeing a whole lot of white-on-white anything lately. Lots of textures, but pretty much zero white on white.

        Tangent: there was actually a white-on-white skull and cross bones from Twillory a year or two ago that I was considering as a sort of novelty. But it was not wrinkle-free, and from the photographs, it was clear it was one of those shirts that is a wrinkled mess the first time you sit in your car. So I passed.

        EDIT: I thought I posted about it here. Indeed, I did.


        That is cool looking.. Why do are shirts like this - that wrinkle so much- so popular? what sane person likes to walk around with ugly folds on his sleeves and across the back?*

        * I remember being in school and wanting a 100% cotton Polo shirt so badly. When I found one on sale, I finally could justify paying that amount for a Sunday shirt. Fast forward a month, as I spent 15 minutes trying to iron said shirt before church, I realized what a stupid lemming, I actually was.

        Comment

        • Art Vandelay
          Striving for mediocrity
          • Jul 2009
          • 10516

          #349
          Received my shirts from Tyrwhitt. I really like the triangle weave. The Herringbone is a very subtle pattern and thinner than I like.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37973

            #350
            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            Received my shirts from Tyrwhitt. I really like the triangle weave. The Herringbone is a very subtle pattern and thinner than I like.


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Non iron or regular? I'm not familiar with the triangle weave. The herringbone is very subtle. I sometimes don't even realize I've got it on until the end of the day.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #351
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              Non iron or regular? I'm not familiar with the triangle weave. The herringbone is very subtle. I sometimes don't even realize I've got it on until the end of the day.
              Non-iron, which has always seemed like a wildly inaccurate description. i'm not sure I've ever had a dress shirt that didn't require at least some ironing.

              Here is the triangle weave (easier to see in the colored options)

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37973

                #352
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                Non-iron, which has always seemed like a wildly inaccurate description. i'm not sure I've ever had a dress shirt that didn't require at least some ironing.

                Here is the triangle weave (easier to see in the colored options)
                That's a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt. You said you ordered a TM Lewin shirt. Were you saying that just to make me feel better?
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Art Vandelay
                  Striving for mediocrity
                  • Jul 2009
                  • 10516

                  #353
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  That's a Charles Tyrwhitt shirt. You said you ordered a TM Lewin shirt. Were you saying that just to make me feel better?
                  Ha. I honestly don't know how I ended up on one site versus the other.

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25266

                    #354
                    Charles Tyrwhitt with a decent Black Friday sale. 30% off plus free shipping. But it can be combined with their 4 shirts for for $199 offer. Basically $35/ a shirt, or a few dollars more than what you’d pay for a crappy cotton-poly blend shirt at Kohl’s. I just picked up 4 shirts out the door for $148 after sales tax.

                    www.ctshirts.com
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • Color Me Badd Fan
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 12519

                      #355
                      Tyrwhitt shirts were on sale for 5 for $150 with free shipping with a really large selection -- I think it might still be going on. TM Lewin shirts are also on sale for $30 a piece. TM Lewin doesn't have nearly the same variety as Tyrwhitt unfortunately.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                      Comment

                      • New Mexican Disaster
                        Suomalainen
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4549

                        #356
                        Why do they even make slim fit shirts in size 19/38? Such a person is almost impossible.

                        Comment

                        • SteelBlue
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8189

                          #357
                          I need a few shirts. Donut, Falafel, still prefer Charles Tyrwhitt?

                          Comment

                          • Clark Addison
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10303

                            #358
                            I like CT shirts, but in my experience the edge of the collar fades faster than a lot of other shirts. Maybe I sweat bleach or something.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37973

                              #359
                              I still like CT. They adjusted their fit and I’ve found a cut I like.

                              of course, you should never pay full price. No more than $40/shirt.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • old_gregg
                                scaly man fish
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 16915

                                #360
                                why are people still wearing dress shirts in a post-covid world. abc joggers is about as dressy as it gets these days.
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                                Comment

                                Working...