Coming up with your name

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #16
    My story is a bit different from all these others. All of you seem to choose your monikers based on something in your life.

    Unlike all of you, I convinced my wife to have triplets for the sole purpose of getting a cool message board moniker. Ever since I was young, I knew I wanted to be "TripletDaddy" on message boards (yes, even before there were message boards). So I had to really keep my fingers crossed that it would all work out.

    The original plan was to have Angelina Jolie adopt the kids but let me keep my board name. She backed out and went to Vietnam for Maddox and the rest is history! She will still call me from time to time and tease me about the whole thing. Oh, Angie!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • byu71
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22070

      #17
      Originally posted by Hallelujah View Post
      .71 times?
      The church was very down on birth control methods back in those days. I heard preaching against all forms of birth control except for early departure.

      Comment

      • UteStar
        Sexiest Poster in Town
        • Nov 2008
        • 2419

        #18
        Originally posted by Solon View Post
        I chose Solon because it's ancient Greek and he was famous for helping warring sides compromise. I like to think I steer a middle path. In retrospect, I might pick another since it pegs me as a nerd, but I can't think of anything cooler. (hence, pegged as a nerd)
        Boy, I got it wrong with your name. I though you were from Solon, Ohio and thats how you got your name. Hmm, he was a person of Ancient Greece? Did they name him after the town in Ohio?

        Comment

        • YOhio
          Hipster Mode
          • Nov 2008
          • 26165

          #19
          My story is actually quite interesting. Around the time I registered for Cougarboard I had just moved to Ohio. As has been well-demonstrated here, I am also a passionate fan of Brigham Young University athletic teams, who use the letter Y as their logo. So I got thinking, how can I display geographic pride alongside school pride. It is from this thought that YOhio was born.

          I also thought it quite clever because it can double as a question. Why Ohio? I saw this a good opportunity to advertise some of the incredible opportunities available in this fine state. So if anybody is curious as to why Ohio, please PM me. I'll be happy to inform you.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #20
            wuapinmon (n. m.) a contraction of Limonense patois English "wuapin" and "mon." [wá peen moan]

            wuapin= what's happening

            mon= every sentence in Caribbean English ends in "mon."

            This is a standard street greeting on the Talamanca Coast of Costa Rica. I picked it in 1995 because I wanted an email and username that I was sure no one would ever use besides me. I've never had to choose a different user name, though people always misspell it. My insistence on it being "w"uapinmon is because it came from my email address and so it's always looked odd written as "W"uapinmon.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #21
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              I heard preaching against all forms of birth control except for early departure.
              Why even bother....that's like leaving a movie before it's over.
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • smokymountainrain
                Impressive Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22593

                #22
                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                My story is actually quite interesting. Around the time I registered for Cougarboard I had just moved to Ohio. As has been well-demonstrated here, I am also a passionate fan of Brigham Young University athletic teams, who use the letter Y as their logo. So I got thinking, how can I display geographic pride alongside school pride. It is from this thought that YOhio was born.

                I also thought it quite clever because it can double as a question. Why Ohio? I saw this a good opportunity to advertise some of the incredible opportunities available in this fine state. So if anybody is curious as to why Ohio, please PM me. I'll be happy to inform you.
                Amazing. I've been trying to figure this out since I first started reading CG and now I know!!! Thanks, YOhio!
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                  wuapinmon (n. m.) a contraction of Limonense patois English "wuapin" and "mon." [wá peen moan]

                  wuapin= what's happening

                  mon= every sentence in Caribbean English ends in "mon."

                  This is a standard street greeting on the Talamanca Coast of Costa Rica. I picked it in 1995 because I wanted an email and username that I was sure no one would ever use besides me. I've never had to choose a different user name, though people always misspell it. My insistence on it being "w"uapinmon is because it came from my email address and so it's always looked odd written as "W"uapinmon.
                  Did you ever try registering under the name "whatshappeningman?" I have a feeling it will be available on most message boards.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • Coach McGuirk
                    1
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 12109

                    #24
                    I chose Coach McGuirk because Home Movies was the funniest thing on TV back in the day and Coach McGuirk was a drunken slob wearing red. That seemed to fit nicely.

                    Comment

                    • SteelBlue
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8189

                      #25
                      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                      wuapinmon (n. m.) a contraction of Limonense patois English "wuapin" and "mon." [wá peen moan]

                      wuapin= what's happening

                      mon= every sentence in Caribbean English ends in "mon."

                      This is a standard street greeting on the Talamanca Coast of Costa Rica. I picked it in 1995 because I wanted an email and username that I was sure no one would ever use besides me. I've never had to choose a different user name, though people always misspell it. My insistence on it being "w"uapinmon is because it came from my email address and so it's always looked odd written as "W"uapinmon.
                      This is cool. I had no idea what your moniker meant but I always thought it read like a Jamaican saying "what's happening man?" I love it when I get things right, even if it's by accident.

                      My kids all say "whappens" instead of properly prounouncing "what happens".

                      Comment

                      • landpoke
                        Never once baby snatched
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4183

                        #26
                        landpoke was born of a particularly frustrating dry spell, a weekend camping trip to the Thunder Basin National Grasslands and a BLM ranger's unfortunate timing.
                        Last edited by landpoke; 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM.
                        There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                        Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                        Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                        Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                        …
                        Tomorrow is Saturday
                        And Sunday comes afterwards

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #27
                          Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                          landpoke was born of a particularly frustrating dry spell, a weekend camping trip to the Thunder Basin National Grasslands and a BLM ranger's unfortunate timing.
                          LOL!!!!!!!!!!
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • myboynoah
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 21719

                            #28
                            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            Amazing. I've been trying to figure this out since I first started reading CG and now I know!!! Thanks, YOhio!
                            Yeah, fascinating. Thanks for sharing YO. This is why I love this board so much.
                            Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                            For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                            Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                            Comment

                            • PaloAltoCougar
                              Semper infra dignitatem
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 16936

                              #29
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Mine is the number of times I had sex with my wife while at BYU.
                              I feel happy for Buton777, not so much for BYU1 on CB.

                              I came up with mine when I decided to stop lurking on CB in '01. I was in my office at the time and didn't think about the eternal implications of name selection. But now that I have brand identity, I cannot change. It was hard enough abandoning Mr. Burns as an avatar.

                              Comment

                              • RC Vikings
                                Known Heterosexual
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8789

                                #30
                                Mine is in memory of a sports program that was taken away.

                                Ricks College Vikings

                                I was going to call myself BYU54 for how many times I had sex with BYU71's wife while he was at BYU but I didn't want to rub it in.

                                Comment

                                Working...