Pet Peeves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Last time one of my kids came home with a fundraiser that required contacting friends and family about a product/service nobody would really want, I just made a donation for the amount they needed to collect. So much better than pestering everyone. Plus, donations to Idaho schools generally qualify for an Idaho tax credit for Idaho residents.
    I don't love girl scout cookies, but I always buy them because I love seeing young kids taking initiative and learning how to be rewarded for work. It's never about the money for me.
    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

I don't love girl scout cookies, but I always buy them because I love seeing young kids taking initiative and learning how to be rewarded for work. It's never about the money for me.
      Yup - I'm a sucker for any fundraiser if the kid doing the fundraiser has the guts/initiative to ask me. Kids from the ward, nieces, and nephews, and even co-workers' kids. If they'll ask me, I'll buy whatever dumb thing they're selling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post

Yup - I'm a sucker for any fundraiser if the kid doing the fundraiser has the guts/initiative to ask me. Kids from the ward, nieces, and nephews, and even co-workers' kids. If they'll ask me, I'll buy whatever dumb thing they're selling.
        Kids I can live with. It is the adults who are usually in a higher tax bracket than I am and are friends with the wife who decide to hold a fundraising dinner.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by Copelius View Post
          It is the adults who are usually in a higher tax bracket than I am and are friends with the wife who decide to hold a fundraising dinner.
          I have not run into this. We must run in different circles.

Comment

Why would you mention girl scout cookies in response to a post referencing
            a product/service nobody would really want
            ?
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Same with me and the inner-city kids selling magazine subscriptions, candy bars, all-purpose cleaner that you can drink without harm, etc.

Also, who doesn't love girl scout cookies????

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Same with me and the inner-city kids selling magazine subscriptions, candy bars, all-purpose cleaner that you can drink without harm, etc.

If I don't know them, I don't buy anything. I don't give out money to pan handlers in the US either, though I have given them something to eat.

Comment

Kids I can live with. It is the adults who are usually in a higher tax bracket than I am and are friends with the wife who decide to hold a fundraising dinner.
                  Can you give me your wife's email or phone number? The non-profit where I work will be holding a fundraiser in September, and your wife sounds like exactly the kind of person I need to get an invite to.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post

Yeah - the kids who tell me I need to buy magazine subscriptions so that they can take a trip to Europe usually don't leave my doorstep all that successful in their sales endeavors.

Comment

• I was lying. I actually don't open my door to people who ring the bell, as several missionaries can attest.

Comment

Can you give me your wife's email or phone number? The non-profit where I work will be holding a fundraiser in September, and your wife sounds like exactly the kind of person I need to get an invite to.
                        For a fundraiser. Sure. Right. We believe you.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Yeah - the kids who tell me I need to buy magazine subscriptions so that they can take a trip to Europe usually don't leave my doorstep all that successful in their sales endeavors.
                          They're really just out-of-work software engineers.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Nope. I am tapped out for the year. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind giving to charitable causes. I just prefer to pick my own than have people pick them for me.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Nope. I am tapped out for the year. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind giving to charitable causes. I just prefer to pick my own than have people pick them for me.
                              I'm with you. And I prefer to give my alms in secret.

Comment

• “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

Working...
                                X