How old is your computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sounds like short on mobo. check standoffs
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Wouldn't they have to set up some kind of replacement program? This is crazy.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        How long until intel has chips with fixes out? My understanding is that this doesn't affect AMD chips. Only Intel x86 chips.
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Feeling good about my decision to go AMD this time around.

Sorry... this vulnerability also applies to AMD and ARM CPUs:

https://security.googleblog.com/2018...-you-need.html

https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.c...with-side.html
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          Yep. The AMD Chiefs must have wanted to sell off today. They originally claimed they were not affected.

http://markets.businessinsider.com/n...8-1-1012439374

Comment

bah. that sucks.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Very much aware of my techno-ignorance, Mrs. PAC asked me to ask my betters on the board if her proposed computer fix makes sense. She uses a 2015 Mac (3.3 Ghz, Intel core), with 8 GB of memory w/available slots for 8 GB more. She uses Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing. When using those programs, photos are slow to upload and save, and not infrequently she gets the spinning beach ball of death, losing whatever edits she has made. She has read that one can dramatically increase efficiency if she runs the operating system through an external hard drive. With that, and 8 more gigs of memory (all at a cost of less than $200), she believes/hopes that all will be well.

My reaction to problems such as this is to buy a new computer (back in our PC days starting in the late ‘80s, we’d buy a new computer every other year, with significant increases in computing power and storage). Thus, my default setting is to buy a new one.

Anyway, what do you recommend (buy or repair)? I’d just as soon save money, but if her proposal is too patchwork and not all that effective, I’m okay with buying a new Mac and further enriching
              the Apple shareholders here...

Comment

I'm far from the board expert, but increased memory sounds like a good idea. So does getting a newer, more capable computer.

Just be careful that she doesn't expand her search too far for newer, more capable equipment.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

PAC - just buy the new one -with 1T SSD and 36 gig memory. If you buy one with those two specs - all the other components will fall into place.

Tell her she's worth it and save up for another in 5 years.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                    Very much aware of my techno-ignorance, Mrs. PAC asked me to ask my betters on the board if her proposed computer fix makes sense. She uses a 2015 Mac (3.3 Ghz, Intel core), with 8 GB of memory w/available slots for 8 GB more. She uses Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing. When using those programs, photos are slow to upload and save, and not infrequently she gets the spinning beach ball of death, losing whatever edits she has made. She has read that one can dramatically increase efficiency if she runs the operating system through an external hard drive. With that, and 8 more gigs of memory (all at a cost of less than $200), she believes/hopes that all will be well.

My reaction to problems such as this is to buy a new computer (back in our PC days starting in the late ‘80s, we’d buy a new computer every other year, with significant increases in computing power and storage). Thus, my default setting is to buy a new one.

Anyway, what do you recommend (buy or repair)? I’d just as soon save money, but if her proposal is too patchwork and not all that effective, I’m okay with buying a new Mac and further enriching
                    One of the nice things about being north of 60 is that your future is somewhat diminished. What the hell are you saving for? Buy the damn computer already.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

IMHO, it would be crazy to throw money at a 7-yr-old computer. Get her a new M1 MacBook Air. They are fantastic (typing this from my MBA in JFK). Incredible battery life, runs cool/no fan, plenty of oomph, are super light, and they don't cost that much.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                        PAC - just buy the new one -with 1T SSD and 36 gig memory. If you buy one with those two specs - all the other components will fall into place.

16GB is plenty. Don't waste your money on 36GB.

Comment

Good luck finding a model with 36GB RAM. I'm not sure they exist. Unless you're a hard-core developer, standing up local databases and web servers, you don't need anything more than 16GB.

And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing.
                          Last edited by Non Sequitur; 06-02-2022, 03:41 PM.
                          "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

Good luck finding a model with 36GB RAM. I'm not sure they exist. Unless you're a hard-core developer, standing up local databases and web servers, you don't need anything more than 16GB.

And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing.
                            I did make a mistake - I meant 32 gig - it was 1:22 am when I wrote that. It sounded like she did a lot of photo rendering work - which is a memory hog.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

I did make a mistake - I meant 32 gig - it was 1:22 am when I wrote that. It sounded like she did a lot of photo rendering work - which is a memory hog.
                              I knew it was an honest mistake. I was just busting your balls. On another note, unless you're referring to Gig Young, don't ever say gig. Use GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

Don’t listen to him, PAC. I have both.

Comment

Working...
                                X