sounds like short on mobo. check standoffs
How old is your computer?
Collapse
X
-
Wouldn't they have to set up some kind of replacement program? This is crazy."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
Originally posted by beefytee View PostHow long until intel has chips with fixes out? My understanding is that this doesn't affect AMD chips. Only Intel x86 chips.Originally posted by falafel View PostFeeling good about my decision to go AMD this time around.
Sorry... this vulnerability also applies to AMD and ARM CPUs:
Posted by Matt Linton, Senior Security Engineer and Pat Parseghian, Technical Program Manager [Google Cloud, G Suite, and Chrome customers...
"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Yep. The AMD Chiefs must have wanted to sell off today. They originally claimed they were not affected.Originally posted by Uncle Ted View PostSorry... this vulnerability also applies to AMD and ARM CPUs:
Posted by Matt Linton, Senior Security Engineer and Pat Parseghian, Technical Program Manager [Google Cloud, G Suite, and Chrome customers...
https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.c...with-side.html
Comment
-
bah. that sucks.Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Very much aware of my techno-ignorance, Mrs. PAC asked me to ask my betters on the board if her proposed computer fix makes sense. She uses a 2015 Mac (3.3 Ghz, Intel core), with 8 GB of memory w/available slots for 8 GB more. She uses Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing. When using those programs, photos are slow to upload and save, and not infrequently she gets the spinning beach ball of death, losing whatever edits she has made. She has read that one can dramatically increase efficiency if she runs the operating system through an external hard drive. With that, and 8 more gigs of memory (all at a cost of less than $200), she believes/hopes that all will be well.
My reaction to problems such as this is to buy a new computer (back in our PC days starting in the late ‘80s, we’d buy a new computer every other year, with significant increases in computing power and storage). Thus, my default setting is to buy a new one.
Anyway, what do you recommend (buy or repair)? I’d just as soon save money, but if her proposal is too patchwork and not all that effective, I’m okay with buying a new Mac and further enriching the Apple shareholders here...
Comment
-
I'm far from the board expert, but increased memory sounds like a good idea. So does getting a newer, more capable computer.
Just be careful that she doesn't expand her search too far for newer, more capable equipment."I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
- Goatnapper'96
Comment
-
PAC - just buy the new one -with 1T SSD and 36 gig memory. If you buy one with those two specs - all the other components will fall into place.
Tell her she's worth it and save up for another in 5 years.
Comment
-
One of the nice things about being north of 60 is that your future is somewhat diminished. What the hell are you saving for? Buy the damn computer already.Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View PostVery much aware of my techno-ignorance, Mrs. PAC asked me to ask my betters on the board if her proposed computer fix makes sense. She uses a 2015 Mac (3.3 Ghz, Intel core), with 8 GB of memory w/available slots for 8 GB more. She uses Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing. When using those programs, photos are slow to upload and save, and not infrequently she gets the spinning beach ball of death, losing whatever edits she has made. She has read that one can dramatically increase efficiency if she runs the operating system through an external hard drive. With that, and 8 more gigs of memory (all at a cost of less than $200), she believes/hopes that all will be well.
My reaction to problems such as this is to buy a new computer (back in our PC days starting in the late ‘80s, we’d buy a new computer every other year, with significant increases in computing power and storage). Thus, my default setting is to buy a new one.
Anyway, what do you recommend (buy or repair)? I’d just as soon save money, but if her proposal is too patchwork and not all that effective, I’m okay with buying a new Mac and further enriching the Apple shareholders here..."The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane
Comment
-
IMHO, it would be crazy to throw money at a 7-yr-old computer. Get her a new M1 MacBook Air. They are fantastic (typing this from my MBA in JFK). Incredible battery life, runs cool/no fan, plenty of oomph, are super light, and they don't cost that much.Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View PostVery much aware of my techno-ignorance, Mrs. PAC asked me to ask my betters on the board if her proposed computer fix makes sense. She uses a 2015 Mac (3.3 Ghz, Intel core), with 8 GB of memory w/available slots for 8 GB more. She uses Lightroom and Photoshop for photo editing. When using those programs, photos are slow to upload and save, and not infrequently she gets the spinning beach ball of death, losing whatever edits she has made. She has read that one can dramatically increase efficiency if she runs the operating system through an external hard drive. With that, and 8 more gigs of memory (all at a cost of less than $200), she believes/hopes that all will be well.
My reaction to problems such as this is to buy a new computer (back in our PC days starting in the late ‘80s, we’d buy a new computer every other year, with significant increases in computing power and storage). Thus, my default setting is to buy a new one.
Anyway, what do you recommend (buy or repair)? I’d just as soon save money, but if her proposal is too patchwork and not all that effective, I’m okay with buying a new Mac and further enriching the Apple shareholders here..."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
16GB is plenty. Don't waste your money on 36GB.Originally posted by clackamascoug View PostPAC - just buy the new one -with 1T SSD and 36 gig memory. If you buy one with those two specs - all the other components will fall into place.
Tell her she's worth it and save up for another in 5 years."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
Good luck finding a model with 36GB RAM. I'm not sure they exist. Unless you're a hard-core developer, standing up local databases and web servers, you don't need anything more than 16GB.Originally posted by clackamascoug View PostPAC - just buy the new one -with 1T SSD and 36 gig memory. If you buy one with those two specs - all the other components will fall into place.
Tell her she's worth it and save up for another in 5 years.
And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing.Last edited by Non Sequitur; 06-02-2022, 03:41 PM."The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane
Comment
-
I did make a mistake - I meant 32 gig - it was 1:22 am when I wrote that. It sounded like she did a lot of photo rendering work - which is a memory hog.Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Good luck finding a model with 36GB RAM. I'm not sure they exist. Unless you're a hard-core developer, standing up local databases and web servers, you don't need anything more than 16GB.
And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing.
Comment
-
I knew it was an honest mistake. I was just busting your balls. On another note, unless you're referring to Gig Young, don't ever say gig. Use GB.Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
I did make a mistake - I meant 32 gig - it was 1:22 am when I wrote that. It sounded like she did a lot of photo rendering work - which is a memory hog."The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane
Comment
-
Don’t listen to him, PAC. I have both.Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Good luck finding a model with 36GB RAM. I'm not sure they exist. Unless you're a hard-core developer, standing up local databases and web servers, you don't need anything more than 16GB.
And PAC, I'd advise the MacBook Pro instead of the Air, just for the larger display, especially since you're transitioning from a desktop. Plus, the Pro has a little more cachet, if you're into that sort of thing."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
Comment