Which vehicle for 50k

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #106
    you guys were being serious about the Miata??
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #107
      honestly i think the gays got it right on this one. try driving a miata without smiling the whole time.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • kccougar
        9262
        • Nov 2008
        • 7020

        #108
        Originally posted by camleish View Post
        Dude, what happened to the hood? Engine fire?
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

        Comment

        • old_gregg
          scaly man fish
          • Nov 2009
          • 16915

          #109
          Originally posted by kccougar View Post
          Dude, what happened to the hood? Engine fire?
          it's a crappy aftermarket hood with a bad paint job. it's still got the stock 1.6l with 93k easy, completely heterosexual miles.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

          Comment

          • Coach McGuirk
            1
            • Nov 2008
            • 12109

            #110
            and I don't know what to say anymore.

            Comment

            • Surfah
              Where's Wallace?
              • Nov 2008
              • 33726

              #111
              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
              you guys were being serious about the Miata??
              Yeah.

              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #112
                Has anyone had much success negotiating a price via the internet? I know the exact car I want and have a half dozen dealerships within a reasonable driving distance. I'm hoping to find one willing to give a better deal than what the local one quoted me. I will either buy the car out of town (a hassle since I'm not trading one in) or see if the local guy will match the price.

                Comment

                • Babs
                  Not a Lawyer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 17128

                  #113
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  you guys were being serious about the Miata??
                  THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MIATAS.

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #114
                    Originally posted by Babs View Post
                    THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH MIATAS.
                    Aren't they Italian? I think it is "Miati"
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • thesaint258
                      aka Benito Hazard
                      • Jan 2009
                      • 3005

                      #115
                      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                      Has anyone had much success negotiating a price via the internet? I know the exact car I want and have a half dozen dealerships within a reasonable driving distance. I'm hoping to find one willing to give a better deal than what the local one quoted me. I will either buy the car out of town (a hassle since I'm not trading one in) or see if the local guy will match the price.
                      That's how I bought my car. I had done enough research to know the dealer's cost after the holdback, so I had offers from two or three places, and I kept going to them saying that I have a lower quote. One guy asked me what it would take to stop the merry-go-round, and I told him what I thought a fair price was. I got the car for below the published invoice, so I was happy.
                      Not that, sickos.

                      Comment

                      • Babs
                        Not a Lawyer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 17128

                        #116
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        Aren't they Italian? I think it is "Miati"
                        I think if I were a guy, I would call it an MX-5. I'm not sure why it's mentioned in a thread dedicated to cars around 50 grand, though.

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #117
                          Originally posted by Babs View Post
                          I think if I were a guy, I would call it an MX-5. I'm not sure why it's mentioned in a thread dedicated to cars around 50 grand, though.
                          Just to clarify: in your hypothetical, a guy owns a Miata, correct?
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #118
                            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                            Just to clarify: in your hypothetical, a guy owns a Miata, correct?
                            The Miata I'm talking about isn't very hypothetical, and it's not owned by a guy.

                            Comment

                            • Surfah
                              Where's Wallace?
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 33726

                              #119
                              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                              Has anyone had much success negotiating a price via the internet? I know the exact car I want and have a half dozen dealerships within a reasonable driving distance. I'm hoping to find one willing to give a better deal than what the local one quoted me. I will either buy the car out of town (a hassle since I'm not trading one in) or see if the local guy will match the price.
                              I'd say 60% of all internet quotes are just ploys to get you into the dealership. These are called screamers. They give you a quote and when you show up they tell you the vehicle is unavailable, etc. Then they try and sell you something else figuring you went out of your way to get there and don't want to go home empty handed. This is of course if you are negotiating the price directly with someone. If you're going through a service like Costco or some banks like USAA then the dealer already has pricing agreements worked out for you. For example, Costco typically has agreements to sell at a certain price, say $500 below MSRP, and the dealer is obligated to show you the MSRP.

                              Another tactic to cut through the BS is to do some research and pull up True Market Value numbers for the vehicle you want from Edmunds.com. This reflects the sales prices of the exact vehicle you're looking for based on zip code. If you can beat that price you're doing alright. Lots of people print out the TMV and take it in and say if you can beat that price you have a deal. And obviously it doesn't hurt to wait until the end of the month when the dealer may be willing to deal. They make money on the number of cars they sale. Each month the maker puts out goals with escalating bonuses for the dealerships. If you're after a car that is a few sales short of hitting one of those bonuses you may get a steep discount. This time of year is good too to pick up last year's model as the new year's begins to roll out.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • mtnbiker
                                it's all a blur
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 2573

                                #120
                                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                                Has anyone had much success negotiating a price via the internet? I know the exact car I want and have a half dozen dealerships within a reasonable driving distance. I'm hoping to find one willing to give a better deal than what the local one quoted me. I will either buy the car out of town (a hassle since I'm not trading one in) or see if the local guy will match the price.
                                I did it back in 1997. The internet sales team (one guy? I think he was also the fleet sales guy) of Willey Ford in Bountiful had just been set up, and the guy told me I was the first one through. They didn't have exactly what I wanted in stock, so they ordered the vehicle from the factory. I had to wait a month or something like that, but that was ok. I got a better price than other dealerships would offer, including a sales guy in my own ward, who actually wanted a premium on top of the msrp. jerk. Like Surfah mentions, I'd also done my homework on Edmunds.

                                Comment

                                Working...