What to do in New Orleans??

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omaha 680
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 11181

    #16
    Good grief so many New Orleans threads. I'm here until tomorrow afternoon (first time visit). Meetings broke early this morning and I'm looking to score some brunch. Recommendations would be appreciated.

    Comment

    • Shaka
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 10449

      #17
      PAscal's Manale

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #18
        AUgust for dinner. One of my favorites
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • Omaha 680
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 11181

          #19
          Thanks for the recs. Pascal's was too far away for tonight. August was doable but couldn't get a table. We ended up going to Brennan's. My entre was pretty good but the bananas foster was ridic.

          I also ended up in an average joint for brunch. Cafe Beignet. The Beignets were actually very good and they had some decent live music. But the cajun hash was very average. Going to try to get one of Wuap's po' boys at Crabby Jacks on the way out tomorrow.
          Last edited by Omaha 680; 01-21-2016, 07:47 PM.

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #20
            Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
            Going to try to get one of Wuap's po' boys at Crabby Jacks on the way out tomorrow.
            You will not be sorry. I'd give $30 for a calamari one right now.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Omaha 680
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 11181

              #21
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              You will not be sorry. I'd give $30 for a calamari one right now.
              You weren't joking. That was a serious sandwich. I got the shrimp I will be dreaming about it.

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #22
                Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                You weren't joking. That was a serious sandwich. I got the shrimp I will be dreaming about it.
                It looks like a dive, and the parking lot smells like fish hell (on a hot day), but good Lord those sandwiches!
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • Shaka
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 10449

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                  You weren't joking. That was a serious sandwich. I got the shrimp I will be dreaming about it.
                  It really was one of the best ever food recommendations.

                  Comment

                  • LiveCoug
                    LA Ute loves me
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18488

                    #24
                    Planning a trip to NOLA in 2 weeks with the family (8, 5, 3, 1). Are we crazy to go there during spring break (I assume it's spring break everywhere.. i dunno) with kids? We are actually staying in Slidell, not New Orleans, so I'm sure we will be away from the worst of the crazy stuff at night.

                    Soooo... family stuff to do in New Orleans? Best beach on the Mississippi coast?

                    Comment

                    • San Juan Sun
                      Kicked to the curb
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 9214

                      #25
                      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      Planning a trip to NOLA in 2 weeks with the family (8, 5, 3, 1). Are we crazy to go there during spring break (I assume it's spring break everywhere.. i dunno) with kids? We are actually staying in Slidell, not New Orleans, so I'm sure we will be away from the worst of the crazy stuff at night.

                      Soooo... family stuff to do in New Orleans? Best beach on the Mississippi coast?
                      Heading there in May for a conference. Also interested in answers to LC's question.
                      "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

                      - Ty Cobb

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #26
                        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        Planning a trip to NOLA in 2 weeks with the family (8, 5, 3, 1). Are we crazy to go there during spring break (I assume it's spring break everywhere.. i dunno) with kids? We are actually staying in Slidell, not New Orleans, so I'm sure we will be away from the worst of the crazy stuff at night.

                        Soooo... family stuff to do in New Orleans? Best beach on the Mississippi coast?
                        Go on a Gator tour, the kids would have fun. Take the streetcar for a tour of the city. If you go into Biloxi the Flounder Imperial at Mary Mahoney's is one of the best seafood meals I've ever had.
                        Last edited by RC Vikings; 03-05-2017, 07:57 PM.

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10449

                          #27
                          Waup is your man. He gave me good advice when I went there.

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18017

                            #28
                            The gator tour was fun and I'm sure they'll like it. The most enjoyable thing we did was take a tour of the French Quarter and a nearby cemetery, though your kids may lose interest in that quick.

                            If you hit the French Quarter, stay away from Bourbon Street. It was seedy when we went, I'm sure it's worse during Spring Break.

                            If you do spend some time in the French Quarter, go eat at the Court of Two Sisters. It has a lovely atmosphere at night. Go to Cafe du Monde at get the obligatory beignets. La Petite Grocerie was also very good, but it's in another part of town.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • Mormon Red Death
                              BYU Delenda Est
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8077

                              #29
                              Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              Planning a trip to NOLA in 2 weeks with the family (8, 5, 3, 1). Are we crazy to go there during spring break (I assume it's spring break everywhere.. i dunno) with kids? We are actually staying in Slidell, not New Orleans, so I'm sure we will be away from the worst of the crazy stuff at night.

                              Soooo... family stuff to do in New Orleans? Best beach on the Mississippi coast?
                              There is an insects museum that is fun for kids (French quarter). Bourbon street is fine during the day as they close the signs for the seedier stuff. Go visit some plantations (oak alley). Ride the street car to the end on both side that is cheap. Audubon zoo is decent as well.

                              City park is good - try story land

                              Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                              "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                              Comment

                              • LiveCoug
                                LA Ute loves me
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18488

                                #30
                                Thanks for the suggestions so far. The plantation is a great idea, my wife loves that crap.

                                Didn't even think about the fact that we will be there on St. Patrick's Day, so I'm sure there will be some good fun in the city. Excited.

                                Comment

                                Working...