Giving wuap the bird - the official bird ID thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27877

    #31


    Cardinal, right?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #32
      Originally posted by Moliere View Post


      Cardinal, right?


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yep! Male even. They love oiled sunflower seed!
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #33
        I went out before sunrise this morning to look for American Woodcock (stfu!), and I was lucky enough to get the 176th species of bird that I've heard/seen in my county, the Great-Horned Owl was singing on Country Squire Rd, about 15 minutes after first light, and there were a pair, likely brooding at this time of year, who kept answering one another for a good 25 mins. We never saw them, but their unmistakable hoots rang out among the cacophony of Horned Larks, Killdeer, Field Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, Northern Cardinals, and White-Eyed Vireos that were up and singing at dawn. I've had Great-Horned Owls in all the surrounding counties, but never in my home county, and getting that this morning was a real treat.

        eBird transforms your bird sightings into science and conservation. Plan trips, find birds, track your lists, explore range maps and bird migration—all free.

        eBird transforms your bird sightings into science and conservation. Plan trips, find birds, track your lists, explore range maps and bird migration—all free.


        I had 61 different species today; not bad for this early in the year.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • BigPiney
          Huge Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12365

          #34
          I saw a mountain bluebird last Sunday but wasn't able to get a picture, sorry.

          Saw it here: 37.1601781, -118.3490989

          Comment

          • wuapinmon
            Soul Plumber
            • Dec 2008
            • 30711

            #35
            Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I saw a mountain bluebird last Sunday but wasn't able to get a picture, sorry.

            Saw it here: 37.1601781, -118.3490989
            That color of blue in Mountain Bluebirds is just incredible.
            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69687

              #36
              Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I went out before sunrise this morning to look for American Woodcock (stfu!), and I was lucky enough to get the 176th species of bird that I've heard/seen in my county, the Great-Horned Owl was singing on Country Squire Rd, about 15 minutes after first light, and there were a pair, likely brooding at this time of year, who kept answering one another for a good 25 mins. We never saw them, but their unmistakable hoots rang out among the cacophony of Horned Larks, Killdeer, Field Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, Northern Cardinals, and White-Eyed Vireos that were up and singing at dawn. I've had Great-Horned Owls in all the surrounding counties, but never in my home county, and getting that this morning was a real treat.

              eBird transforms your bird sightings into science and conservation. Plan trips, find birds, track your lists, explore range maps and bird migration—all free.

              eBird transforms your bird sightings into science and conservation. Plan trips, find birds, track your lists, explore range maps and bird migration—all free.


              I had 61 different species today; not bad for this early in the year.
              61 in one day? Good heavens.

              We need to go birding together sometime.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • wuapinmon
                Soul Plumber
                • Dec 2008
                • 30711

                #37
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                61 in one day? Good heavens.

                We need to go birding together sometime.
                Check out this list, my best in the USA. It also had the first-ever record for a Trumpeter Swan in South Carolina. https://ebird.org/checklist/S53616690

                I'm happy to go birding anytime, but you've got a professional naturalist/biologist in Dwight Schr-ute much closer than I am.
                "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #38
                  Really cool. I hear a sound often here in the Springville area that sounds like an owl. Like at least once a week regularly. I'm not sure what it is.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69687

                    #39
                    Two great horned owls have built a nest just up the street. Can’t wait to see the chicks this spring.

                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69687

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Two great horned owls have built a nest just up the street. Can’t wait to see the chicks this spring.

                      They hatched!

                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • Bo Diddley
                        Senior
                        • Jul 2012
                        • 18789

                        #41
                        Really cool!

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69687

                          #42
                          Here’s another photo. Wuap, I need your help. This duck looks like a mallard but the front was totally white. I don’t recall ever seeing a mallard like this. Any ideas?

                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #43
                            i think it's just a bibbed mallard, jl.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21139

                              #44
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              i think it's just a bibbed mallard, jl.
                              kevin-feterik-byu-bibs-528x400.jpg
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69687

                                #45
                                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                i think it's just a bibbed mallard, jl.
                                Aha....

                                Probably domestic. Someone was telling me that there are some domestic ducks on that part of the river.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...