Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardinal, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Cardinal, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Yep! Male even. They love oiled sunflower seed!
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I went out before sunrise this morning to look for American Woodcock (stfu!), and I was lucky enough to get the 176th species of bird that I've heard/seen in my county, the Great-Horned Owl was singing on Country Squire Rd, about 15 minutes after first light, and there were a pair, likely brooding at this time of year, who kept answering one another for a good 25 mins. We never saw them, but their unmistakable hoots rang out among the cacophony of Horned Larks, Killdeer, Field Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, Northern Cardinals, and White-Eyed Vireos that were up and singing at dawn. I've had Great-Horned Owls in all the surrounding counties, but never in my home county, and getting that this morning was a real treat.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S83291485
        https://ebird.org/checklist/S83301037

I had 61 different species today; not bad for this early in the year.
        "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

I saw a mountain bluebird last Sunday but wasn't able to get a picture, sorry.

Saw it here: 37.1601781, -118.3490989

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            I saw a mountain bluebird last Sunday but wasn't able to get a picture, sorry.

Saw it here: 37.1601781, -118.3490989
            That color of blue in Mountain Bluebirds is just incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
              I went out before sunrise this morning to look for American Woodcock (stfu!), and I was lucky enough to get the 176th species of bird that I've heard/seen in my county, the Great-Horned Owl was singing on Country Squire Rd, about 15 minutes after first light, and there were a pair, likely brooding at this time of year, who kept answering one another for a good 25 mins. We never saw them, but their unmistakable hoots rang out among the cacophony of Horned Larks, Killdeer, Field Sparrows, Eastern Towhees, Northern Cardinals, and White-Eyed Vireos that were up and singing at dawn. I've had Great-Horned Owls in all the surrounding counties, but never in my home county, and getting that this morning was a real treat.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S83291485
              https://ebird.org/checklist/S83301037

I had 61 different species today; not bad for this early in the year.
              61 in one day? Good heavens.

We need to go birding together sometime.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

61 in one day? Good heavens.

We need to go birding together sometime.
                Check out this list, my best in the USA. It also had the first-ever record for a Trumpeter Swan in South Carolina. https://ebird.org/checklist/S53616690

I'm happy to go birding anytime, but you've got a professional naturalist/biologist in Dwight Schr-ute much closer than I am.

Comment

Really cool. I hear a sound often here in the Springville area that sounds like an owl. Like at least once a week regularly. I'm not sure what it is.

Comment

Two great horned owls have built a nest just up the street. Can’t wait to see the chicks this spring.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Two great horned owls have built a nest just up the street. Can’t wait to see the chicks this spring.

They hatched!

Comment

Really cool!

Comment

Here’s another photo. Wuap, I need your help. This duck looks like a mallard but the front was totally white. I don’t recall ever seeing a mallard like this. Any ideas?

Comment

i think it's just a bibbed mallard, jl.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              kevin-feterik-byu-bibs-528x400.jpg
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Aha....

Probably domestic. Someone was telling me that there are some domestic ducks on that part of the river.

Comment

Working...
                                X