Apple vs. PC

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • pelagius
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5288

    #181
    Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Hey now...
    Come on now, you know it would be awesome. Build in a mini-ITX case, set the RGB stuff to a nice purple or lime green, a little liquid cooling for a sweet overclock, and then let my daughter take it to college next year. She would have the coolest mac on campus.
    Last edited by pelagius; 09-18-2017, 08:17 PM.

    Comment

    • Uncle Ted
      The Big 12 money shot.
      • Apr 2010
      • 28853

      #182
      Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      Come on now, you know it would be awesome. Build in a mini-ITX case, set the RGB stuff to a nice purple or lime green, a little liquid cooling for a sweet overclock, and then let my daughter take it to college next year. She would have the coolest mac on campus.
      Don't Steal OS X!

      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • pelagius
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 5288

        #183
        Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Don't Steal OS X!
        Lame, Hackintosh is Jean Valjean.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37973

          #184
          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
          Here's an $800 Dell with a GTX 1070 in it. Over half the value of the computer is in the graphics card. Costco online carries an upgraded version of this computer with an i7, twice the RAM and twice the HDD capacity for $1,300. The value of those upgrades is around $220.

          http://www.frys.com/product/8989903?...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
          Actually went to maybe buy this Dell this morning. Didn't pull the trigger because the guy told me it had basically been run hard for the last 2 months, powering 7 4k screens on display. Probably going to build at this point.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69676

            #185
            Ha. I remember when I would get excited to buy a new Dell. Good times.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Commando
              Explosivo
              • Feb 2009
              • 20748

              #186
              Who didn't?!

              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37973

                #187
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Ha. I remember when I would get excited to buy a new Dell. Good times.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • Color Me Badd Fan
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2009
                  • 12519

                  #188
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Actually went to maybe buy this Dell this morning. Didn't pull the trigger because the guy told me it had basically been run hard for the last 2 months, powering 7 4k screens on display. Probably going to build at this point.
                  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cmvr7

                  This is what I ended up using. I kind of wish I bought the 650w power supply, but that particular Seasonic line is pretty good for the price. When I bought the RAM, it was $125. You can save a little bit of money if you buy a 7500 instead of a 7600k because you don't have to buy a CPU cooler.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37973

                    #189
                    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cmvr7

                    This is what I ended up using. I kind of wish I bought the 650w power supply, but that particular Seasonic line is pretty good for the price. When I bought the RAM, it was $125. You can save a little bit of money if you buy a 7500 instead of a 7600k because you don't have to buy a CPU cooler.
                    You power usage with that build is only 197W, why would you go for 650 PSU? Or even the 550 you ended up with?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37973

                      #190
                      Here is one I put together today. Anything seriously wrong with this? I'm not sure I need the CPU fan.

                      https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fsX9gL
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • old_gregg
                        scaly man fish
                        • Nov 2009
                        • 16915

                        #191
                        Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                        https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3cmvr7

                        This is what I ended up using. I kind of wish I bought the 650w power supply, but that particular Seasonic line is pretty good for the price. When I bought the RAM, it was $125. You can save a little bit of money if you buy a 7500 instead of a 7600k because you don't have to buy a CPU cooler.
                        buy the k chip dummies
                        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                        Comment

                        • old_gregg
                          scaly man fish
                          • Nov 2009
                          • 16915

                          #192
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Here is one I put together today. Anything seriously wrong with this? I'm not sure I need the CPU fan.

                          https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fsX9gL
                          make sure the memory is ryzen compatible. i think there have been issues with that
                          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37973

                            #193
                            Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                            make sure the memory is ryzen compatible. i think there have been issues with that
                            noted. thanks.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Color Me Badd Fan
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 12519

                              #194
                              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              buy the k chip dummies
                              The difference between a 7500 and 7600k for him would be practically nothing. He wants to play games then it does make a difference.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                              Comment

                              • old_gregg
                                scaly man fish
                                • Nov 2009
                                • 16915

                                #195
                                the price difference is immaterial and the performance jump/potential is significant
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                                Comment

                                Working...