No announcement yet.

Apple vs. PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• seriously though why 128gb? 150 vms at the same time?
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      seriously though why 128gb? 150 vms at the same time?
      Data. It's my personal workstation but I do a lot of my research on it. There is a big performance advantage to being able to read a big dataset completely in ram. I like having a personal workstation because I can overclock it ... which gives me better performance for most of my use cases over machines at work. The exception being stuff that is embarrassingly parallel, but really only embarrassingly parallel that is also quite computationally intensive (smaller embarrassingly parallel stuff it doesn't make enough of a difference).

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
        And if I finally get my hands on a 10gb nic, it can finally be an adequate plex server.
        ??? Why do you need a 10gb NIC in order to be a good Plex server? Are you running fiber in your house or what? Jeepers!

I've got CAT6 all throughout my house with 1gb nics and routers and it's plenty good enough for Plex.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
          ??? Why do you need a 10gb NIC in order to be a good Plex server? Are you running fiber in your house or what? Jeepers!

I've got CAT6 all throughout my house with 1gb nics and routers and it's plenty good enough for Plex.
          Wasn't serious

Comment

Data. It's my personal workstation but I do a lot of my research on it. There is a big performance advantage to being able to read a big dataset completely in ram. I like having a personal workstation because I can overclock it ... which gives me better performance for most of my use cases over machines at work. The exception being stuff that is embarrassingly parallel, but really only embarrassingly parallel that is also quite computationally intensive (smaller embarrassingly parallel stuff it doesn't make enough of a difference).
            That's pretty much the same answer I would've given.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

Man, you should have gone with CAT6a. CAT6 is only good for about 30 meters @ 10Gbps.

For 4K streams you are going to need about 25Mbps so with 1Gbps networking you are only good for about 40 simultaneous streams or so (max). Of course, I suspect the Plex server would fall over first trying to transcode all those streams on-the-fly at once unless it is one of those new iMac Pros with the 18 core Xeon CPU and 128GB of ECC memory. Oh, BTW, the iMac Pro has 10Gb ethernet built-in not to mention that killer 5K screen.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                Man, you should have gone with CAT6a. CAT6 is only good for about 30 meters @ 10Gbps.

For 4K streams you are going to need about 25Mbps so with 1Gbps networking you are only good for about 40 simultaneous streams or so (max). Of course, I suspect the Plex server would fall over first trying to transcode all those streams on-the-fly at once unless it is one of those new iMac Pros with the 18 core Xeon CPU and 128GB of ECC memory. Oh, BTW, the iMac Pro has 10Gb ethernet built-in not to mention that killer 5K screen.
                Wow, I think I would be doing humanity a favor by deleting this.

Comment

Honestly I'm not too sure much of humanity would notice, let alone care.

No offense.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

What? You have something against American computers (designed by engineers in California)? USA, USA, USA!
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                      Honestly I'm not too sure much of humanity would notice, let alone care.

No offense.
                      I've always assumed I was humanity's representative agent. You're not suggesting that was a bad assumption?
                      Last edited by pelagius; 09-18-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        What? You have something against American computers (designed by engineers in California)? USA, USA, USA!
                        Yeah, I'm an economist. Also, if they cared about cooling, and everything they built didn't thermal throttle ... then at least I could like them more the Acer.
                        Last edited by pelagius; 09-18-2017, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Uncle Ted is like a machine. Nothing but APPLE, DEMOCRATS, APPLE, APPLE, PELOSI, APPLE, HILLARY, APPLE, .... until the end of time.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Yeah, I'm an economist. Also, if they cared about cooling, and everything they build didn't thermal throttle ... then at least I could like them more the Acer.
                            Oh, they care about cooling... that is the coolest thing about the iMac Pro:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Uncle Ted is like a machine. Nothing but APPLE, DEMOCRATS, APPLE, APPLE, PELOSI, APPLE, HILLARY, APPLE, .... until the end of time.
                              That reminds me of build I do kinda want to do; a Ryzen (Like the 1700) based Hackintosh.

Comment

That reminds me of build I do kinda want to do; a Ryzen (Like the 1700) based Hackintosh.
                                Hey now...
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X