I need a new car

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #496
    Originally posted by kccougar View Post
    Brought home a new sled this morning. This one I found in Portland (and for under $10k!). I arranged one of my business flights so I had a 3-hr layover there on the way home so I could leave the airport and check out the car. I figured if it wasn't what I wanted I would just head back to the airport and finish my trip home. If it was a good car, I'd skip the second leg of the flight and drive it home.
    Did the airline send you any weird notification/warning when they noticed you missed the second leg? I've always wondered what they'd do.

    Comment

    • Joe Public
      8.1 YPC
      • Apr 2011
      • 8530

      #497
      Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Are governors (the engine thingy, not the kind that Benson worked for) required on cars in the US?
      No.

      "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

      "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

      Comment

      • kccougar
        9262
        • Nov 2008
        • 7020

        #498
        Originally posted by scottie View Post
        Did the airline send you any weird notification/warning when they noticed you missed the second leg? I've always wondered what they'd do.
        Nope. Nothing happened.
        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #499
          Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          Are governors (the engine thingy, not the kind that Benson worked for) required on cars in the US?
          They are usually put on cars because of the tire choice of the manufacturer. They put tires on that are only rated to a certain speed so they put a corresponding governor on.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • old_gregg
            scaly man fish
            • Nov 2009
            • 16915

            #500
            Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
            Are governors (the engine thingy, not the kind that Benson worked for) required on cars in the US?
            art if you need to get the ecu reflashed on your bugatti i know a guy
            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21142

              #501
              Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              Are governors (the engine thingy, not the kind that Benson worked for) required on cars in the US?
              Haven't seen that show in a while.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • Art Vandelay
                Striving for mediocrity
                • Jul 2009
                • 10516

                #502
                Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                They are usually put on cars because of the tire choice of the manufacturer. They put tires on that are only rated to a certain speed so they put a corresponding governor on.
                That makes sense. I've known two different cars that both "governed out" (?) at 130mph. I've heard tales of 160 and 180 mph, and wondered what the difference was- other than level of insanity of the driver.

                Comment

                • old_gregg
                  scaly man fish
                  • Nov 2009
                  • 16915

                  #503
                  Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                  That makes sense. I've known two different cars that both "governed out" (?) at 130mph. I've heard tales of 160 and 180 mph, and wondered what the difference was- other than level of insanity of the driver.
                  performance tune
                  Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10450

                    #504
                    My Saab has a governor that will not let it go beyond 145.

                    Comment

                    • Dwight Schr-ute
                      Members Only
                      • May 2011
                      • 4917

                      #505
                      Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                      My Saab has a governor that will not let it go beyond 145.
                      Which is a good thing. That's probably a bit fast to be pulling a boat.
                      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                      Comment

                      • Shaka
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 10450

                        #506
                        Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                        Which is a good thing. That's probably a bit fast to be pulling a boat.
                        Yeah it sucks up Parley's as it is.

                        Comment

                        • Maximus
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 6023

                          #507
                          Car broke down, thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TL AWD V6...for $19k.


                          Is that a bad choice? 60k miles. So it should last 5-10 years.

                          Comment

                          • wally
                            <><><><><><><><>
                            • Jun 2010
                            • 4137

                            #508
                            Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                            Car broke down, thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TL AWD V6...for $19k.


                            Is that a bad choice? 60k miles. So it should last 5-10 years.

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #509
                              Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                              Car broke down, thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TL AWD V6...for $19k.


                              Is that a bad choice? 60k miles. So it should last 5-10 years.
                              way more than a kia
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21142

                                #510
                                Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                                Car broke down, thinking about buying a 2010 Acura TL AWD V6...for $19k.


                                Is that a bad choice? 60k miles. So it should last 5-10 years.
                                http://www.edmunds.com/acura/tl/2010/road-test/

                                Pros
                                Refined and powerful V6, manual transmission works well and adds quickness, impressive handling, superb front seats, roomy backseat, strong brakes.

                                Cons
                                Controversial styling, numb steering, marginal ride quality.
                                If you're a fan of the styling, the TL SH-AWD 6MT definitely belongs at the top of your shopping list. After all, its performance is competitive with that of the BMW 535i xDrive, which runs $10,000-$15,000 more when comparably equipped. And the TL SH-AWD is bigger and more comfortable than the marginally better-performing but pricier Audi S4.

                                Though more conservatively styled, the above-mentioned BMW and Audi are the only truly comparable luxury performance sedans with manual transmissions and the year-round versatility of all-wheel drive.
                                Last edited by Pelado; 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...