Water conservation: Do the right thing!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #16
    You should come and see my front lawn. My neighbors are really pissed, but you would be proud of me Robin. I can't figure how to turn on the automatic system and I keep putting off doing it manually. I don't think I have watered in two or three weeks.

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #17
      Because of the climate, there are few yards in Ohio that utilize sprinkling systems. It usually makes for an August full of dead lawns, which always surprises me when I go to a desert and see rows of bright green lawns.

      One thing I fear about the environmental movement is that it has been so closely aligned with the left that wise approaches to conservation are being disregarded by the right. Things like responsible water use and recycling should be practiced regardless of the abundance or scarcity of resources, especially for Mormons and our understanding of stewardship.

      Comment

      • RobinFinderson
        Banned
        • Nov 2008
        • 10548

        #18
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        You should come and see my front lawn. My neighbors are really pissed, but you would be proud of me Robin. I can't figure how to turn on the automatic system and I keep putting off doing it manually. I don't think I have watered in two or three weeks.
        I just wiped a tear from my eye. Thank you for this inspiring story.

        Comment

        • JohnnyLingo
          La Naranja
          • Nov 2008
          • 3976

          #19
          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          One thing I fear about the environmental movement is that it has been so [hijacked by] the left that wise approaches to conservation are being disregarded by the right. Things like responsible water use and recycling should be practiced regardless of the abundance or scarcity of resources, especially for Mormons and our understanding of stewardship.
          I agree.

          Comment

          • jxncoog
            Non-tourist
            • Oct 2009
            • 126

            #20
            Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
            Totally true. Landscaping is by far the biggest source of personal water usage.
            We've moved into an Energy Star home. All plumbing fixtures are water savers without a noticable decrease in pressure. The toilets are also dual flush. As a result our water bill is down by about 25% from our other home resulting in a savings of about $5 bucks a month.

            We do have landscaping sprinklers, but with a 62 day growing season, they really only run from late May through September.

            Comment

            • RobinFinderson
              Banned
              • Nov 2008
              • 10548

              #21
              Originally posted by jxncoog View Post
              We've moved into an Energy Star home. All plumbing fixtures are water savers without a noticable decrease in pressure. The toilets are also dual flush. As a result our water bill is down by about 25% from our other home resulting in a savings of about $5 bucks a month.

              We do have landscaping sprinklers, but with a 62 day growing season, they really only run from late May through September.
              I will never forget the coolness of using our Energy Star front-loading washing machine for the first time. It was as if we had hired a robot servant to do our laundry. I sat in front of the washing machine slack-jawed, watching it spin. It was a very moving experience.

              Comment

              • beefytee
                Board eye candy
                • Mar 2009
                • 7542

                #22
                Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                I will never forget the coolness of using our Energy Star front-loading washing machine for the first time. It was as if we had hired a robot servant to do our laundry. I sat in front of the washing machine slack-jawed, watching it spin. It was a very moving experience.
                We have an energy star home and a front loading energy star washing machine. We had a good laugh when the builder sent up the energy star sticker. Where are you supposed to put those things on houses?

                Comment

                • jxncoog
                  Non-tourist
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 126

                  #23
                  Energy Star encompasses a general deduction to consumption, achieved through appliances, fixtures and building materials. More important however are the techniques used to reach a LEED rating which includes longterm sustainability, indoor air quality, in addition to energy efficiency.

                  Comment

                  • RobinFinderson
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10548

                    #24
                    Originally posted by jxncoog View Post
                    Energy Star encompasses a general deduction to consumption, achieved through appliances, fixtures and building materials. More important however are the techniques used to reach a LEED rating which includes longterm sustainability, indoor air quality, in addition to energy efficiency.
                    Hey jxncoog, welcome to the board. What is your connection to LEED certification?

                    Comment

                    • jxncoog
                      Non-tourist
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 126

                      #25
                      Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
                      Hey jxncoog, welcome to the board. What is your connection to LEED certification?
                      I work for a company that does LEED projects, though I have to admit, I've been busy during that time building luxury homes for people who up until the last few years don't much care about LEED.

                      Last December I bought a Gold Certified LEED home. It is also Energy Star rated. It was tested at 55 on the HERS scale if that means anything to you.

                      We don't see any substantial benefits to energy bills, nothing to warrant the additional costs alone in the short term. For instance, I moved from a home that was 50% smaller but my energy bills (gas & power) have decreased by 20%. The documentation indicated that the payoff rate of the additional costs to the home would be realized in 6 to 7 years. I put it more at 8 to 10 years. However, in reality, in a normal market, the payoff rate for those savings against the extra cost could outlive a mortgage partly because there is a percieved value and hence premium for LEED upgrades to the home in the current market.

                      When I was in school, we spent quite a bit of time on energy efficient construction techniques and since then I have always wanted an energy efficient home. So while I like lower energy costs, I care more about consumption, indoor air quality and the fact that I live in a home that is very efficient.

                      Comment

                      • kccougar
                        9262
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7020

                        #26
                        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        No doubt.
                        I spent my first few years in Utah being really stingy with water--watering my lawn every 2-3 days, long deep nighttime waterings, etc--and suffered with having a lawn that just wasn't as nice-looking as everyone elses. Installed sod this summer and thus had to water quite a bit more while the roots took. The cost? Maybe $10/month more.
                        When we bought our home in Utah (first home I've owned with auto sprinklers) I made the mistake of listening to all the recommendations to avoid overwatering. I had a really crappy lawn. Of course, I live in Sandy and that is exactly what it is -clean sand and boulders topped with 2 inches of sod. No moisture stays in the ground.
                        "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

                        Comment

                        • il Padrino Ute
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19161

                          #27
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          One thing I fear about the environmental movement is that it has been so closely aligned with the left that wise approaches to conservation are being disregarded by the right. Things like responsible water use and recycling should be practiced regardless of the abundance or scarcity of resources, especially for Mormons and our understanding of stewardship.
                          The left only has itself to blame. If they would stop demanding that people live their lives the way the left thinks they should live, there would be more people willing to do those things.
                          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #28
                            Originally posted by kccougar View Post
                            When we bought our home in Utah (first home I've owned with auto sprinklers) I made the mistake of listening to all the recommendations to avoid overwatering. I had a really crappy lawn. Of course, I live in Sandy and that is exactly what it is -clean sand and boulders topped with 2 inches of sod. No moisture stays in the ground.
                            Yeah!
                            I've read a lot on this and it seems like every expert says 2-3 waterings/week and make them long waterings to force the roots to grow deeply. But my lawn is always the crappiest looking on the street. Is there a middle ground somewhere? I don't want to waste water but I'd also like to have an average lawn. How much does everyone water? We have a new lawn right now--I don't want to screw it up next summer.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • YOhio
                              Hipster Mode
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26165

                              #29
                              Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                              The left only has itself to blame. If they would stop demanding that people live their lives the way the left thinks they should live, there would be more people willing to do those things.
                              The left isn't to blame for others' unwillingness to be wise stewards. You know, personal responsibility and all.

                              Comment

                              • ERCougar
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10978

                                #30
                                Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                                One thing I fear about the environmental movement is that it has been so closely aligned with the left that wise approaches to conservation are being disregarded by the right. Things like responsible water use and recycling should be practiced regardless of the abundance or scarcity of resources, especially for Mormons and our understanding of stewardship.
                                I agree. I think people are joking over on CB when they talk about "increasing their carbon footprint" and whatnot, but sometimes I wonder.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                                Comment

                                Working...