No announcement yet.

Water conservation: Do the right thing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water conservation: Do the right thing!

This is the official thread promoting water conservation. If you have tips about conserving water, you are invited to post them in this thread.

Originally posted by RobinFinderson View Post
    This is the official thread promoting water conservation. If you have tips about conserving water, you are invited to post them in this thread.
    I just had a large amount of sod installed in my backyard in Las Vegas. Thanks Colorado River!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I leave the water running in my bathroom sink so it stays hot all the time. That thing takes like 30 seconds to warm up after it turns on! I don't have that kind of time!

Comment

You've inspired me. I officially vow to discontinue double flushing. I will stop flushing before I use the toilet just because I don't want to pee in stale water. It's after only from now on.
        sigpic
        "Outlined against a blue, gray
        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I have suggested that CUFers pee in the shower or sink as a way of conserving water. This grossed many people out, even though from a water conservation standpoint it makes perfect sense.

For those who insist that pee only belongs in the toilet, I have a new water conservation tip. Bucket flushing.

Simply put a bucket in your shower. When you first run the water, to get it to the right temp, use the bucket to catch that water. Then, when you are showering, put the bucket some place in the shower so it will continue to catch runoff. By the time you are done, you will have a bucket full of water that can be used for bucket flushing.

To bucket flush, simply take the filled bucket of water out of the shower and dump it directly into the toilet. Congrats! You just saved one flush-worth of water, and have assured your moral superiority over all those who do not bucket flush. Now celebrate and buy yourself a tofu frosty!

Comment

i propose we stop growing rice and cotton in the Central Valley. Voila; water problems solved. Better still, I porpose we stop sending water to Los Angeles. You SoCal people can find your own damn water. In exhange, you can stop sending us your movies. Please.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboy View Post
              You've inspired me. I officially vow to discontinue double flushing. I will stop flushing before I use the toilet just because I don't want to pee in stale water. It's after only from now on.
              Excellent! But please flush as many times as needed to choke down your massive cowboy pies.

Comment

Nothing you do inside your home will make a dent compared to the water you use to water your lawn.

Best way to conserve water would be to increase the rates charged each month for water usage.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Nothing you do inside your home will make a dent compared to the water you use to water your lawn.

Best way to conserve water would be to increase the rates charged each month for water usage.
                  Totally true. Landscaping is by far the biggest source of personal water usage.

Comment

I have suggested that CUFers pee in the shower or sink as a way of conserving water. This grossed many people out, even though from a water conservation standpoint it makes perfect sense.
                    To counteract the water-sucking effects of my new lawn, I have been peeing in the shower. I've also been taking my no. 2's in there as well. All to save water. Thanks for the tip, Finderson.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This is very true. I sort of ignored the drought surcharge our water district added and then two motnhs ago I go hit with an $800 penalty ofr over usaeage. My once verdant lawn is now semi brown with dead spots.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        To counteract the water-sucking effects of my new lawn, I have been peeing in the shower. I've also been taking my no. 2's in there as well. All to save water. Thanks for the tip, Finderson.
                        Mrs. falafel is now bathing in the sink.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

Also, it should be illegal to water your lawn from September to March in states where it is warm all year round. Those of us in places with winter do our part.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                            i propose we stop growing rice and cotton in the Central Valley. Voila; water problems solved. Better still, I porpose we stop sending water to Los Angeles. You SoCal people can find your own damn water. In exhange, you can stop sending us your movies. Please.
                            The average SoCal person uses about 120 gallons a day (most for landscaping). Through better landscaping and more careful water usage, we could get that number down to 40 gallons a day. Then we wouldn't need so much of that NorCal water. Faith and I have a general rule of thumb -- we only water crops. If we won't eventually eat it, we don't water it.

Comment

No doubt.
                              I spent my first few years in Utah being really stingy with water--watering my lawn every 2-3 days, long deep nighttime waterings, etc--and suffered with having a lawn that just wasn't as nice-looking as everyone elses. Installed sod this summer and thus had to water quite a bit more while the roots took. The cost? Maybe $10/month more.
                              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

Working...
                              X