Help Wanted: Who replaces Bronco?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Crockett
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2013
    • 850

    #136
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Awesome. BYU is screwed. Bronco is irreplaceable. With the mullahs in charge and the Church getting tougher on the Honor Code for athletes, and with missions, etc., and Utah in the Pac 12, this job isn't as easy or attractive as it used to be. And they'll get a Big 12 invitation when hell freezes over. BYU needs to high tail it back to the MWC and choose their new coach very carefully. Probably Boise State is a good model.

    What a clever hire by Virginia. And I finally have good reason to respect Bronco. You won't hear him say football isn't no. 1 again. lol.

    Comment

    • chrisrenrut
      Strikes and Gutters
      • Jul 2009
      • 2295

      #137
      Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      Bronco had the OSU job and out Gary Andersen as a reference. When they calls GA, he expressed interest in the job and took it. At least, that's what the rumor mill was saying.
      Why would Bronco put Gary as a job reference? Am I missing a connection?

      Comment

      • Jarid in Cedar
        CS Institutional Memory
        • Jun 2009
        • 13234

        #138
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I honestly know very little about the guy. Is your comment because he's not HC material at this point, or because you would like to see him gone from Stanford (or both?).
        Don't know how he would be add a head coach, but him being out of Stanford would be good for both Utah and BYU
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

        -Rick Majerus

        Comment

        • Omaha 680
          Senior Member
          • Jul 2011
          • 11181

          #139
          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Awesome. BYU is screwed. Bronco is irreplaceable. With the mullahs in charge and the Church getting tougher on the Honor Code for athletes, and with missions, etc., and Utah in the Pac 12, this job isn't as easy or attractive as it used to be. And they'll get a Big 12 invitation when hell freezes over. BYU needs to high tail it back to the MWC and choose their new coach very carefully. Probably Boise State is a good model.

          What a clever hire by Virginia. And I finally have good reason to respect Bronco. You won't hear him say football isn't no. 1 again. lol.

          Comment

          • Sullyute
            a day late/a dollar short
            • Jul 2010
            • 3308

            #140
            Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
            Why would Bronco put Gary as a job reference? Am I missing a connection?
            Like they use references at that level, puuullllleeeaaasssee.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

            Comment

            • Topper
              Pre-Historic Man
              • Nov 2011
              • 11764

              #141
              He has obviously received some good reviews moving up at each position. Otherwise I know little about him.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

              Comment

              • OceanBlue
                Junior Member
                • May 2012
                • 860

                #142
                As a former resident of Annapolis I hope Coach Ken stays put. Great fit for Navy and they may give him more $ to stay.
                Bronco will be fun to watch at UVA.

                Comment

                • Crockett
                  Junior Member
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 850

                  #143

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69676

                    #144
                    Originally posted by OceanBlue View Post
                    As a former resident of Annapolis I hope Coach Ken stays put. Great fit for Navy and they may give him more $ to stay.
                    Bronco will be fun to watch at UVA.
                    WTH?
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Topper
                      Pre-Historic Man
                      • Nov 2011
                      • 11764

                      #145
                      It will be interesting to see how Tom handles the hiring process. It is a perilous time for the new coach with the treacherous schedule for 2016. OTOH, BYU had topped out with Bronco, as his teams did reasonably well on defense given his talent availability, but seemed to be ill-prepared during certain big games such as games against Utah or Michigan.

                      Of cougjunkie's list, I wish Bevell were available. Kenny N could be a good fit, and Lance Anderson is intriguing.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                      Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                      Comment

                      • OceanBlue
                        Junior Member
                        • May 2012
                        • 860

                        #146
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        WTH?
                        Not meant as a knock on BYU. That's my hometown and I have family that worked in the athletic department years ago. I like the service academies doing well in football.

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #147
                          Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                          Why would Bronco put Gary as a job reference? Am I missing a connection?
                          Why would you ask a head coaching candidate for a reference?

                          Comment

                          • Joe Public
                            8.1 YPC
                            • Apr 2011
                            • 8524

                            #148
                            Well, what a day to be off of the internet for a while.

                            I'm a Bronco fan and hate to see him go. We'll see if anyone else can squeeze blood out of the turnip that is BYU's defense. I wish him the best at Virginia and will be interested to see what he does with a different talent pool.

                            I'm not sure who is out there that is better than Anae who would actually take the job.
                            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

                            "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #149
                              Tom said BYU can't compete with P5 salaries.

                              Bronco said you don't coach at BYU for the money.

                              We aren't getting anyone good.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • CJF
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8497

                                #150
                                Maybe Holmoe should be candidate.
                                A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                                Comment

                                Working...