The Case for Kalani Sitake

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #31
    Originally posted by USUC View Post
    I do find it interesting that BYU was ranked 18th after beating nobodies but Utah is only ranked 18th after beating a top ten team, a top 25 team, and a decent Oregon St team. BYU still has cache that most teams don't. Even when results are taken into account.
    Actually not very interesting. those voting in the polls generally don't give credit for lucky wins. #sjbh
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • Donuthole
      Official Outgayer
      • Nov 2008
      • 25271

      #32
      Originally posted by originalsocal View Post
      I am not fan of the what DS did in calling out Bronco in the way he did it. I do agree with many of his points however, and upon reflection I don't know how this whole coaching situation doesn't end badly. For all intents and purposes Bronco, if not lost it his marbles completely, has lost this this current team. I fear that this, coupled with the current success of our neighbors to the north present us with a real problem. We may be losing the in-state recruits, fanbase, and most importantly the financial backing of big time donors to the program. I think it may be the time for BYU to seriously consider an exit strategy here. This is a bad situation not all precipitated by Bronco, but the numbers bare out that outside a few 10 win seasons this coach is only good for 7 to 9 wins at best every season and even worse if the wheels fall off. I dare say that if Taysom had broken his leg the first game, we may be looking for our second win still. That, while being independent and looking to transform into being P5 worthy, is not good enough...especially while the clock is ticking.

      So, IMO we need to act. We need to become what we aren't. We need to swallow our pride and maybe take some risks that might seem a bit crazy. With that said I think we should seriously consider Kalani Sitake. Again, DS was a total dick in how he laid the case, and did Kalani no favors IF Holmoe even wanted to consider Kalani as a potential candidate. I believe that Kalani is an interesting choice for a number of reasons:

      1. He is a BYU alum. I know he loved his experience here. He was coached by Lavell and was greatly affected by what BYU gave to him. I know he has a soft spot for his alma mater. In other words, he gets it. He could appease the mullahs and homers. He has the potential to appease the fanatics like us as well.

      2. Kalani could bring back the poly pipeline. Who are we kidding right? The poly pipeline, with a few exceptions, is stronger up north than into Provo. When a BYU honk like Vai Sikahema sounds like a Utah man there is a reason. We've lost them. There may be a few that we still get in Provo, but the more talented seem to end up in Salt Lake...am I wrong here? McBride started the poly conversion to Utah, Urban and Whit strengthened it, and Kalani has solidified it. We need it back.

      3. Kalani should be a good agent for change, while still understanding out present needs. He has first hand witnessed the process of changing from MWC outlier to P5 prominence. He's gone through it. He has transitioned from offense to defense. He played offense at BYU, coached it at Snow and transitioned successfully to defense. He's gone through it. Hell, he even knows how to transition from Blue to Red. He's gone through it. We need a guy who understands how to keep the good and throw out the bad. Kalani should have that blueprint. He's gone through it.

      4. Kalani has credibility. He has shown well as a coach. There is a reason that he was made the Assistant Head Coach. He demands respect. I believe that will engender enough trust from potential hires, current staff that may stay, current players, current recruits, and future recruits.

      I realize there are risks involved here, but I think we are at the tipping point. All things considered, this may be the best path forward.

      Thoughts?
      Can you rest, already? Then I can move for a directed verdict and we can close this thread. Thanks.
      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

      Comment

      • byu71
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22070

        #33
        Originally posted by USUC View Post
        I do find it interesting that BYU was ranked 18th after beating nobodies but Utah is only ranked 18th after beating a top ten team, a top 25 team, and a decent Oregon St team. BYU still has cache that most teams don't. Even when results are taken into account.
        A big part of that is because of the type of fan base we have which is like what the big time schools have. If we had done what Utah has done the last 10 years, including getting into the PAC12, I think we would be looked upon as a big time draw.

        Comment

        • The_Douger
          Athletic Supporter
          • Jun 2012
          • 5413

          #34
          Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
          Guess what, that's what BYU always averages.
          I'd like to do better than that.

          I'd like to go to a New Years game at some point. I'd like to finish ranked. Bronco was doing better than that initially, and I'd hope we might seen improvement instead of taking a step back like we have. The last five years have been crummy. Don't get me wrong, there's some good wins in there, but there's some stinkers as well.
          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

          Comment

          • The_Douger
            Athletic Supporter
            • Jun 2012
            • 5413

            #35
            Bronco has probably earned some benefit of the doubt despite this year.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #36
              Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
              I'd like to do better than that.

              I'd like to go to a New Years game at some point. I'd like to finish ranked. Bronco was doing better than that initially, and I'd hope we might seen improvement instead of taking a step back like we have. The last five years have been crummy. Don't get me wrong, there's some good wins in there, but there's some stinkers as well.
              Bronco was doing better because we had consecutive really good QBs. That really hasn't happened often in the last 25 or so years of Cougar football. But generally when we've had really good QB's we've been good, and when we haven't we've been meh. We had a really good QB to start this year and could have had another one of those years like the early Bronco seasons, but then he went and broke his leg.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • originalsocal
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 1632

                #37
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                Yep. Out of curiousity I went and looked at the star level of our and Utah's recruits. Appears to me to be not different at all. Yet, on the field this year and playing against them the last 4 years, they appear to have more talented players.
                This! ^^^

                Is this coaching? Over-valuation? I think coaching.

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #38
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I've always thought very highly of you. I'm glad you are here.
                  I can testify to this. There was a time I didn't care for SeattleUte, I privately expressed this to Triplet and he explained how lovable SUnreally is. After becoming more of a student of his posts I grew into a huge lover of SU and am also very glad he is here.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #39
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I can testify to this. There was a time I didn't care for SeattleUte, I privately expressed this to Triplet and he explained how lovable SUnreally is. After becoming more of a student of his posts I grew into a huge lover of SU and am also very glad he is here.
                    I guess I should become a student of his posts. As a casual observer of his posts, I think he is a weenie.

                    Comment

                    • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                      Time to camp
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26082

                      #40
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I guess I should become a student of his posts. As a casual observer of his posts, I think he is a weenie.
                      Let me explain it to you this way, if SU were a BYU opponent you would buy 25 tickets and all of your kids would want to go.
                      Get confident, stupid
                      -landpoke

                      Comment

                      • RC Vikings
                        Known Heterosexual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8789

                        #41
                        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                        Bronco was doing better because we had consecutive really good QBs. That really hasn't happened often in the last 25 or so years of Cougar football. But generally when we've had really good QB's we've been good, and when we haven't we've been meh. We had a really good QB to start this year and could have had another one of those years like the early Bronco seasons, but then he went and broke his leg.
                        Bronco was doing really well with a QB he didn't recruit.

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #42
                          Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                          Let me explain it to you this way, if SU were a BYU opponent you would buy 25 tickets and all of your kids would want to go.
                          Good point. I couldn't wait for the Utah games when Wayne Howard was the coach.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69730

                            #43
                            I have always been a big fan of SU. Sadly, my love seems mostly unrequited lately.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • smokymountainrain
                              Impressive Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 22593

                              #44
                              Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
                              Bronco was doing better because we had consecutive really good QBs. That really hasn't happened often in the last 25 or so years of Cougar football. But generally when we've had really good QB's we've been good, and when we haven't we've been meh. We had a really good QB to start this year and could have had another one of those years like the early Bronco seasons, but then he went and broke his leg.
                              Yep. That's mostly true for college football programs in general. Big time programs such as Tennessee, Texas, Michigan, Florida - they haven't had good QBs, they've sucked and coaches have been and/or will be fired.
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

                              Comment

                              • YOhio
                                Hipster Mode
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26165

                                #45
                                I'd really like for Bronco to stay and be successful at BYU. I'd also like him to teach his players to not be super stupid. Simple things like don't get multiple unsportsmanlike conduct penalties in a game, don't run offsides when you're kicking off, wait until the ball is snapped before you move, kneel the ball in the endzone on a kickoff and don't try to field a punt inside the 10-yard line but if you do make sure you catch and hold the ball. I think those simple things would do wonders for not making his team look like such a shit show.

                                Comment

                                Working...