The Case for Kalani Sitake

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69689

    #406
    Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    Don't you worry about this being as good as it gets with Bronco?
    Absolutely.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • The_Douger
      Athletic Supporter
      • Jun 2012
      • 5413

      #407
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Absolutely.
      That's why I'm ready for a change. I know this gets said a lot, but I really feel like they're mired and he's just kind of like Ron McBride. Ron McBride isn't a bad guy, but I just don't see us getting above and beyond what we've been the last 5 years.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

      Comment

      • USUC
        Chronic Poseur
        • Apr 2010
        • 8790

        #408
        Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Do you have inside information to support this belief?
        If SCcoug's info above is correct, no way BYU will pay a DC nearly as much as Utah. I have no inside information other than Bronco isn't getting fired and will be the HC at least until his contract is up and I don't see the reasoning on why KS would come to BYU for the same position but with less money.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69689

          #409
          Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
          That's why I'm ready for a change. I know this gets said a lot, but I really feel like they're mired and he's just kind of like Ron McBride. Ron McBride isn't a bad guy, but I just don't see us getting above and beyond what we've been the last 5 years.
          At the same time, I am not at all convinced that there is a demonstrably superior candidate out there.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • The_Douger
            Athletic Supporter
            • Jun 2012
            • 5413

            #410
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            At the same time, I am not at all convinced that there is a demonstrably superior candidate out there.
            I like the DC at Stanford. I have no idea if he cares or would be interested in a HC position, but he has fielded a special defense for many of his years there, and has a lot of experience dealing with restrictions and not having a huge recruiting pool.

            I have no idea if Sitake would be interested in coming either.

            You are right that there are not very many HC candidates out there that fit the criteria.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #411
              Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
              I like the DC at Stanford. I have no idea if he cares or would be interested in a HC position, but he has fielded a special defense for many of his years there, and has a lot of experience dealing with restrictions and not having a huge recruiting pool.

              I have no idea if Sitake would be interested in coming either.

              You are right that there are not very many HC candidates out there that fit the criteria.
              I think this is his first year as Director of Defense.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • USUC
                Chronic Poseur
                • Apr 2010
                • 8790

                #412
                Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                That's why I'm ready for a change. I know this gets said a lot, but I really feel like they're mired and he's just kind of like Ron McBride. Ron McBride isn't a bad guy, but I just don't see us getting above and beyond what we've been the last 5 years.
                If Bronco decided to step down after this season I wouldn't be heart broken. But there is definitely a risk in finding someone new. From all indications Sitake is a great guy and has an amazing relationship with his players. He is great at recruiting. That alone might be an upgrade. But outside of him, I don't feel too confident that anyone could do better than Bronco.

                Comment

                • The_Douger
                  Athletic Supporter
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 5413

                  #413
                  Originally posted by USUC View Post
                  If Bronco decided to step down after this season I wouldn't be heart broken. But there is definitely a risk in finding someone new. From all indications Sitake is a great guy and has an amazing relationship with his players. He is great at recruiting. That alone might be an upgrade. But outside of him, I don't feel too confident that anyone could do better than Bronco.
                  I just think a big part of Broncos' effectiveness is that he coordinates the defense. My biggest issue is that he's tried to turn this over to assistants twice and it's been a disaster both times. Nobody does as good as a job as he does, and he should just continue to do that or bring in and pay someone with an outside perspective on it.

                  I would like to congratulate Oxcoug. He smelled the problem that is Nick Howell long before anyone else did.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                  Comment

                  • Crockett
                    Junior Member
                    • Sep 2013
                    • 850

                    #414
                    Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    I don't see the reasoning on why KS would come to BYU for the same position but with less money.
                    Ignoring the money issue, which would need to be addressed, here are a couple of reasons:

                    1. If Bronco's contract doesn't get renewed (either Tom Holmoe has decided to make a change, Bronco is ready to move on, whatever), then KS could come in as DC and head-coach-in-waiting (a la Jimbo Fisher at FSU) and possibly even as assistant head coach. A promise to become the future head coach while having some time to establish / acclimate / orient yourself in the program has some advantages.
                    2. Gordon Monson reports / speculates that KS has been disrespected at Utah and may be more open to moving on: link.

                    Comment

                    • Portland Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5647

                      #415
                      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                      Clay's play didn't cost the Utes the game. A 14-0 lead on the Ducks is nothing, absolutely nothing. Even without that play, the Utes weren't going to win. You need something better than the 20th best QB in the Pac-12 to beat Oregon.

                      Maybe if the Utes would have gone up 35-0 and it was 28-7 instead, then you could make the argument that it lost the game.
                      Well, fortunately for you, you could be happy no matter the outcome.

                      Comment

                      • Blueintheface
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 15382

                        #416
                        Cannibalism is step 3 in the grieving process. Acceptance will come eventually, but in the mean time let CS be your conduit, Ute fans.
                        "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                        "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                        Comment

                        • USUC
                          Chronic Poseur
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 8790

                          #417
                          Originally posted by Crockett View Post
                          Ignoring the money issue, which would need to be addressed, here are a couple of reasons:

                          1. If Bronco's contract doesn't get renewed (either Tom Holmoe has decided to make a change, Bronco is ready to move on, whatever), then KS could come in as DC and head-coach-in-waiting (a la Jimbo Fisher at FSU) and possibly even as assistant head coach. A promise to become the future head coach while having some time to establish / acclimate / orient yourself in the program has some advantages.
                          2. Gordon Monson reports / speculates that KS has been disrespected at Utah and may be more open to moving on: link.
                          The flip side of this is the Will Muschamp situation at Texas. He was promised the job but Mack didn't step down when anticipated. Even if promised the head coaching position, still a gamble to do it.

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #418
                            let's get this thread going again!
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Goatnapper'96
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 10924

                              #419
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              let's get this thread going again!
                              To be honest with you I am not on any bandwagons but if I am Kalani Sitake and I want to be a head coach soon, taking the DC job at BYU might not be such a bad idea. Mendenhall's days are numbered IMO. Between the fan angst and his own sanity of finally saying: "I have had enough of you people's shit, go ahead and get somebody else" I think his end is getting closer. If KS is here already, and has squeezed out a tear or two at firesides, my guess is he will get serious consideration.
                              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                              -General George S. Patton

                              I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                              -DOCTOR Wuap

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #420
                                Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                To be honest with you I am not on any bandwagons but if I am Kalani Sitake and I want to be a head coach soon, taking the DC job at BYU might not be such a bad idea. Mendenhall's days are numbered IMO. Between the fan angst and his own sanity of finally saying: "I have had enough of you people's shit, go ahead and get somebody else" I think his end is getting closer. If KS is here already, and has squeezed out a tear or two at firesides, my guess is he will get serious consideration.
                                lol
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...