Todd Christensen died today.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RC Vikings
    Known Heterosexual
    • Nov 2008
    • 8789

    #16
    Just a couple of interesting things about Christensen from his wiki page. Leading the team in receptions three years in a row while coming out of the backfield is remarkable. Also I love that after his playing days he would still want to compete and choose the decathlon.

    At BYU, Christensen was a four-year starter (1974–77) at running back, led the team for three consecutive seasons in receiving and was an All-Western Athletic Conference selection in 1977.
    Following his football career Todd Christensen had tryouts with the Oakland A's and the Anaheim Angels but found his niche in Masters Track and Field where he set an age-group World Record in the Heptathlon and was the top decathlete in the world for ages 45-and-over.

    Comment

    • oxcoug
      Dolphins Rape Hipsters
      • Dec 2009
      • 5309

      #17
      TC led the NFL in receiving twice - in 1983 with 92 receptions and 1986 with 95 receptions. And went to the Pro Bowl five times. He was the second TE to lead the NFL in receptions, after Kellen Winslow.

      I have a signed 1984 Topps card from him that says "Stay strong, Todd Christensen." I picked that up at a fireside just outside of Sacramento.
      Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

      It can't all be wedding cake.

      Comment

      • Shaka
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 10450

        #18
        Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        I know lots of people didnt' like TC as an announcer. I always enjoyed him casually dropping some NYT-crossword-puzzle word into the middle of his color analysis.
        Todd was very well-read. When I ran into him at various sports venues while he was watching his kids. He was almost always had a book with him. As with most well-read people the written word leaked into his vocabulary.

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #19
          Originally posted by Shaka View Post
          Todd was very well-read. When I ran into him at various sports venues while he was watching his kids. He was almost always had a book with him. As with most well-read people the written word leaked into his vocabulary.
          I think he just liked words and enjoyed using them. I don't think it had anything to do with him wanting to appear intelligent or well read to others.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • Shaka
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 10450

            #20
            Originally posted by kccougar View Post
            I think he just liked words and enjoyed using them. I don't think it had anything to do with him wanting to appear intelligent or well read to others.
            Neither do I. In my experience he was a very humble guy. Honestly one of the nicest and most approachable athletes I've ever met.

            Comment

            • DrumNFeather
              Invisible Swordsman
              • Nov 2008
              • 8854

              #21
              Very sad news. Todd is a distant relative to our family (never met him or anything like that, but we grew up knowing we were related to him).
              "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

              Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

              Comment

              • dabrockster
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 10949

                #22
                Ah man.. This is sad to hear.. As a Raider fan, I loved watching him play.. I thought it was the coolest thing to see a BYU player playing on my devilish team...

                RIP Todd..

                Comment

                • Surfah
                  Where's Wallace?
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 33726

                  #23
                  Todd Christensen was one of my first sports idols. In fact as a young BYU and Raiders fan he ranked right up there with Magic. Every summer my dad would take us out to Oxnard to see the Raiders and Cowboys. My dad is a Cowboys fan and I was a Raiders fan. The first year my dad took me to Oxnard I wore my BYU shirt just so he would know I was his fan and part of the tribe. As soon as they opened the field to fans I rushed to find Todd. His was the first autograph I wanted on my football. When I reached him and handed him my Sharpie and football he looked down and saw my BYU shirt. He said, hey I went to BYU. I smiled big, told him that I knew that and that is why I wore it. He winked at me and signed my football. I'll never forget. Every year we went back I always got another TC autograph. My neighbor knew how much I loved TC so one year he gave me every single one of Todd's football cards. It was one of my most treasured gifts and I still have those cards in protective sleeves. His passing makes me really sad.

                  Rest in peace Todd. You've gone too soon.
                  "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                  -Turtle
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • TripletDaddy
                    sweet triple
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 58186

                    #24
                    i forgot the 'boys moved to oxnard. they used to practice in T.O. and Cal Lutheran, only about a 10 minute bike ride from my home.

                    Todd was a star member during the era of Raiderism that hooked me for life. Loved that guy and that team.
                    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • MarkGrace
                      Grooveshark dick tease
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 31546

                      #25
                      When I was younger I played in a fall ball league and we had a game against Toby's team. One of the umps didn't show, so they asked him to do it. Dude took it seriously, and wasn't just some dad out there calling the came. He made two close calls against the AF team and some of the parents started to cat call and boo him. lol.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                      Comment

                      • clackamascoug
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 9709

                        #26
                        Growing up in Oregon, and going to BYU like Todd, and Danny, I've always felt a strong indentification to those two. Sad news.

                        Comment

                        • dabrockster
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 10949

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Todd Christensen was one of my first sports idols. In fact as a young BYU and Raiders fan he ranked right up there with Magic. Every summer my dad would take us out to Oxnard to see the Raiders and Cowboys. My dad is a Cowboys fan and I was a Raiders fan. The first year my dad took me to Oxnard I wore my BYU shirt just so he would know I was his fan and part of the tribe. As soon as they opened the field to fans I rushed to find Todd. His was the first autograph I wanted on my football. When I reached him and handed him my Sharpie and football he looked down and saw my BYU shirt. He said, hey I went to BYU. I smiled big, told him that I knew that and that is why I wore it. He winked at me and signed my football. I'll never forget. Every year we went back I always got another TC autograph. My neighbor knew how much I loved TC so one year he gave me every single one of Todd's football cards. It was one of my most treasured gifts and I still have those cards in protective sleeves. His passing makes me really sad.

                          Rest in peace Todd. You've gone too soon.
                          Amen Bro.. Amen...

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16937

                            #28
                            As a student at BYU in '76, I was given a sideline pass for the game at RES. It was cool standing with the team watching them beat up on the U near the beginning of a two-decade stretch of domination <sniff>. Anyway, after the game I was waiting for a friend outside the locker room when Todd and others came out. During their conversation, one of the players asked TC if he was coming over that evening but Todd said, "No, I'm teaching the Elders Quorum tomorrow and I need to prepare a lesson." I doubt many college football stars have skipped a party in favor of priesthood lesson prep, but I was impressed. RIP, Todd, and thanks for some great memories.

                            Comment

                            • Rickomatic
                              Junior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 617

                              #29
                              This sad for me to hear about. Todd Christensen was an absolute favorite of mine when he was at BYU. My uncle played on the 76 team and introduced me to him. I was totally awe struck. I could not even speak when we were introduced. He just chuckled and signed my new BYU hat that my uncle had just bought for me. I also must admit that I cried like a little girl when he went to the Raiders. Growing up a Bronco fan, it was almost more than I could handle. I could handle him as a Cowboy, but not the Raiders.
                              RIP Mr. Christensen, you will be missed but not forgotten.

                              Comment

                              • cougjunkie
                                *Banned*
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 23223

                                #30
                                I met Todd one time. It was late after a BYU football game. The game was on the MTN and he was on the call. This was during the peak when BYU fans were hammering him for his suspect work as a broadcaster and over use of the english language. I. too jumped on board and thought he needed to tone things down. I stopped at Taco bell in American Fork after the game with my wife it was close to midnight when we sat down. A few minutes later Todd comes in with his youngest son in his wheel chair. We were the only people in the restaurant and they sat a few tables from us. He looked over at us in our BYU gear and made a comment about the game. We started discussing how things went and he invited us to slide over to sit with him and his son. We sat there and talked to him and Taryn for about 20 minutes it was almost as if he knew I wasn't the biggest fan of his. He never said anything profound or impactful he was just friendly and a really nice guy. His son was very funny and even though he was given a tough path in life he was also very positive. I asked him why he was here so late and he said he didn't have a chance to see his son at all that day as he was busy with game prep. He said as soon as the night was over they headed out for a bite to eat just the two of them. You could just tell they had a very special relationship.
                                *Banned*

                                Comment

                                Working...