The ACC Expansion Groundswell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Geez. Get a hold of yourself. More likely that the SEC, P12, B12 will all go to 16. I think there are reasonable odds that we get picked up in one of those scenarios.
    If the Pac goes to 16, what would they hate less is my question. Clearly the UC schools look down upon the Cal State schools so there is little appetite to add Fresno St. or SDSU. Obviously, they don't want BYU. The Nevada Schools are not exactly bastions of academia but they don't have the baggage. Colo State? New Mexico? One scenario that might work for the Pac is to add Colo State, BYU and the Nevada schools and then the 8 original founders of the Pac can go back to their Pac-8 or Pac-Coastal Division and then force the other 8 schools to all be a PAC-Landlocked Division or Mountain Division. Then you play your 7 game division schedule and get 2 non-division teams on H-H and over an eight year period you work through those H-H games. But seriously, I don't think the PAC wanted to expand to 12 and I am convinced they don't want to add any more. It will be interesting to see if the winds of change will force their hand and how they will deal with expansion.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      I can see my constant use of the F-word, mysogenistic posts challenging anyone and everyone (except KCCougar's) manhood, frequent homages to the greatest qb in BYU and college football history and stellar sophistry have finally won a convert!

The Big-12 will have to expand, I think BYU will be one they eventually pick up but I think there is some hesitancy to wait and see where the final sweet spot, wrt # of teams in a conference, is going to shake out. I think 12 is the optimal # but it appears that it will be at least 14. The only thing that could expedite BYU's eventual BCS ascension is if the Pac is looking to expand and feels it has no choice to add BYU over its other options. Then perhaps the Big-12 will go harder after BYU. I don't know who the Pac will add to expand. The options out west are meager unless they can pry away some of the Big-12 teams.
      I really think it would be ideal if BYU ended up in the Pac. I would be plenty happy with the Big 8x2 though.

It is definitely a good thing for BYU that the ACC chose Louisville. An easy expansion for the Big 12 would have been to just pick up Louisville and Cincinnati. Now the only threat is Florida State to the Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
        I really think it would be ideal if BYU ended up in the Pac. I would be plenty happy with the Big 8x2 though.

It is definitely a good thing for BYU that the ACC chose Louisville. An easy expansion for the Big 12 would have been to just pick up Louisville and Cincinnati. Now the only threat is Florida State to the Big 12.
        I agree. I think the shakeup of the last week is good for BYU.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

If the Pac goes to 16, what would they hate less is my question. Clearly the UC schools look down upon the Cal State schools so there is little appetite to add Fresno St. or SDSU. Obviously, they don't want BYU. The Nevada Schools are not exactly bastions of academia but they don't have the baggage. Colo State? New Mexico? One scenario that might work for the Pac is to add Colo State, BYU and the Nevada schools and then the 8 original founders of the Pac can go back to their Pac-8 or Pac-Coastal Division and then force the other 8 schools to all be a PAC-Landlocked Division or Mountain Division. Then you play your 7 game division schedule and get 2 non-division teams on H-H and over an eight year period you work through those H-H games. But seriously, I don't think the PAC wanted to expand to 12 and I am convinced they don't want to add any more. It will be interesting to see if the winds of change will force their hand and how they will deal with expansion.
          I could see UNLV, BYU, CSU, and New Mexico if they had to get to 16. I think UNR has no shot at the PAC ever. Hawaii, SDSU, or BSU are also dark horse candidates.

But I would be shocked if the PAC went to 16 unless it was with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

Comment

Originally posted by fbguru View Post
            I could see UNLV, BYU, CSU, and New Mexico if they had to get to 16. I think UNR has no shot at the PAC ever. Hawaii, SDSU, or BSU are also dark horse candidates.

But I would be shocked if the PAC went to 16 unless it was with Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.
            I'd be shocked if the big Big 12 teams went to the PAC. The time difference sucks. Oregon games start at 9pm central time, unless its a big game. That sucks for fans, most of which for those schools are in central time.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I'd be shocked if the big Big 12 teams went to the PAC. The time difference sucks. Oregon games start at 9pm central time, unless its a big game. That sucks for fans, most of which for those schools are in central time.
              I agree. It sounds ideal given the sucky realities both conferences face to expand, but I think there is too many smaller issues that make such a marriage insurmountable in reality. Seems to me BYU just needs to stay steady and eventually they will hold all the cards, baby!

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by fbguru View Post

I could see them adding BSU and BYU above the others.. Seems more logical to me...

Comment

I agree. It sounds ideal given the sucky realities both conferences face to expand, but I think there is too many smaller issues that make such a marriage insurmountable in reality. Seems to me BYU just needs to stay steady and eventually they will hold all the cards, baby!
                  You seem to have lost your confident swagger. Years of being dead wrong about pretty much everything would probably do that to a man.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    You seem to have lost your confident swagger. Years of being dead wrong about pretty much everything would probably do that to a man.
                    I was never confident that BYU's position was much due to BYU. If you recall I have consistently said this: eventually the Big-12 will have to expand and in the end BYU will be one of the better options they have. Similar to what happened to the Pac.

But I have noticed that most of my predictions have been off for some time, clearly my luck is about to change! Just call me JT for Juan Tavernari!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I was never confident that BYU's position was much due to BYU. If you recall I have consistently said this: eventually the Big-12 will have to expand and in the end BYU will be one of the better options they have. Similar to what happened to the Pac.

But I have noticed that most of my predictions have been off for some time, clearly my luck is about to change! Just call me JT for Juan Tavernari!
                      Revisionist history. You would get all cocky and say that only you and kccougar were worthy of wearing the jockstrap of one James MF'in McMahon due to your unwavering belief that BYU would eventually find themselves as proud members of the Big 12 athletic conference. You'd then hurl various insults, most of them misogynistic in nature, at those of us who expressed any type of dissenting opinion. It was a crude spectacle.

Comment

Effin chucker
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I still think Clemson with FSU makes a lot of sense.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                            Revisionist history. You would get all cocky and say that only you and kccougar were worthy of wearing the jockstrap of one James MF'in McMahon due to your unwavering belief that BYU would eventually find themselves as proud members of the Big 12 athletic conference. You'd then hurl various insults, most of them misogynistic in nature, at those of us who expressed any type of dissenting opinion. It was a crude spectacle.
                            I still think most of you are string pulling pussies and with Jimbo FUCKING McMahon getting his degree, who needs a fully functioning brain to graduate from a two bit parochial academy such as BYU?, and about to get inducted into the BYU Hall of Fame, the BYU will have atoned and my faith is unwavering that the Big-12 will recognize its needs and BYU's availability. Just as you eventually got a date to prom nite, sucka!

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Newsclip: "A Week to Remember for BYU and Fans"

"This week started off with the long anticipated wait of Jimbo Eff'ing McMahon being inducted into the BYU Hall of Fame. No one ever anticpated that BYU would also accept an invitation to the Big 12 the same week, but that is what has taken place.. To make things even better, BYU allowed Jimbo Eff'ing McMahon to grace the crowd at the halftime to stir the team in what is now a come from behind win against Texas.. Welcome to the Big 12 BYU.. Welcome. Big 12.. Are you ready for the Cougars?"

I believe this would be Goat's wet dream... Or mine..

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Geez. Get a hold of yourself. More likely that the SEC, P12, B12 will all go to 16. I think there are reasonable odds that we get picked up in one of those scenarios.
                                Hmmmm.....

Please note that L'ville chose the ACC, notwithstanding the widespread belief that they were B12's #1 expansion choice. The top of the BE is consolidating in the ACC, which is a premiere b-ball conference with several storied football programs (though they are down as of late), which, in my opinion, makes it far less likely that it will be the conference that is carved up. Please also note that the B12 has lost 33% of its conference and had to add a team from a non-AQ conference to get to 10 (which is 2 less than it's name indicates). It is less stable; it has "image" problems; and it is jerked around by one University of Texas.

Thus, it's more likely that the B12 folds than the ACC.

If we go to 4 16-team superconferences, geographically only the Pac-12 makes sense, but I refuse to believe we have a shot at getting in while Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, and University of Washington are in the conference. If B12 goes by the wayside, what are our other options? B10 is the closest, but we're not an AAU school. SEC? seems unlikely. ACC? How much sense does it make to have a Rocky-Mountain school in the Atlantic Coast Conference. And finally, the LDS church loves it some independence. Even if the B12 survives superconferences (and I don't think it does), I'm not sure the powers that be want in.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X