I'm going to believe because this team could really use the extra practice time.
Utah and a Bowl game
Collapse
X
-
So, unless I am wrong, if five more losers happens, doesn't that just mean that Utah is now part of a pool of teams that includes the other "losers"?Originally posted by DrumNFeather View PostFriday update for those keeping track at home...when MRD posted this, there were 6 slots available...then Miami pulled out, so that made 7 right? Two winners and one loser today leave 5 slots. Keep hope alive!
Why in the world would any of those bowls choose Utah over one of the other 5 win teams? Especially when those bowls are in the mid-west or back east?
Comment
-
Because APR comes into play and Utah will be high on that list. Essentially, they may be forced to take us at pencil pointOriginally posted by Portland Ute View PostSo, unless I am wrong, if five more losers happens, doesn't that just mean that Utah is now part of a pool of teams that includes the other "losers"?
Why in the world would any of those bowls choose Utah over one of the other 5 win teams? Especially when those bowls are in the mid-west or back east?
"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
-
Does the team have to get an undeserving bowl invite in order to have extra practices? Is it against the NCAA rules to practice without having an undeserving bowl invite? Can the coaches just make the team practice for the sake of practicing?Originally posted by UtahDan View PostIt doesn't deserve it, but all that extra practice is a pretty nice benefit and worth taking, no?
I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that this team doesn't deserve anything but time to think about this poor season. It's all about consequences."Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
You cannot practice unless you get a bowl. Basically, 15 free practices. It is akin to a second fall camp. I would take an undeserved bowl every day of the week.Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View PostDoes the team have to get an undeserving bowl invite in order to have extra practices? Is it against the NCAA rules to practice without having an undeserving bowl invite? Can the coaches just make the team practice for the sake of practicing?
I don't know the answers to these questions, but I do know that this team doesn't deserve anything but time to think about this poor season. It's all about consequences."The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
I personally would feel embarrassed if the Utes got a bowl game, and I think the program would be embarrassed (e.g., being a the butt of jokes on sports news media nationwide). But I'd probably get over that.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
That is because you care what other people thinkOriginally posted by LA Ute View PostI personally would feel embarrassed if the Utes got a bowl game, and I think the program would be embarrassed (e.g., being a the butt of jokes on sports news media nationwide). But I'd probably get over that.
. I have long lost that trait. I care what is best for the program, and will take all of the negative press in the world as trade off for what is best to grow the program.
"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
That's why said I'd probably get over it.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostThat is because you care what other people think
. I have long lost that trait. I care what is best for the program, and will take all of the negative press in the world as trade off for what is best to grow the program.
“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
Thanks for that info.Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View PostYou cannot practice unless you get a bowl. Basically, 15 free practices. It is akin to a second fall camp. I would take an undeserved bowl every day of the week.
Utah does not deserve a bowl game or extra practices. That's my opinion and I don't care if anyone disagrees.
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
this thread has brought back memories of the 1992 season when Utah had its first bowl game in what, 30 years? Anyways, I still remember the joke that was going around UT county then.
Twenty years later, I hope this joke sees a revival as it would probably more apropos this time around.Question: What's the difference between Utah and Cheerios?
Answer: Cheerios belong in a bowl.Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
God forgives many things for an act of mercyAlessandro Manzoni
Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.
pelagius
Comment
-
They didn't earn it. But, if it is given to them they would be fools not to take it. Even if the Utes are a punchline for the off season, this team needs the extra play and practice.Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View PostThanks for that info.
Utah does not deserve a bowl game or extra practices. That's my opinion and I don't care if anyone disagrees.
Comment
-
Things starting to look bleak...
Purdue, SMU, and Va. Tech all win today. Pitt and Connecticut up to 5 wins each with a chance for 6 next week."They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Comment
-
Baylor wins in ot...bleaker it is now.Originally posted by DrumNFeather View PostThings starting to look bleak...
Purdue, SMU, and Va. Tech all win today. Pitt and Connecticut up to 5 wins each with a chance for 6 next week.
Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum
"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla
Comment
Comment