Cruisin for a Bruins - the official Utah v UCLA thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Tone Loc
    Junior Member
    • Apr 2009
    • 475

    #31
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    He is a limited QB, but has made far fewer costly mistakes this year. A pathetically low standard to meet, of course; but to paraphrase Rumsfeld, you go into the games with the quarterback you have.

    p.s. The word from inside the program is that Chow did nothing to develop Hays.
    Fine, then Hays hasnt been developed at all. And keep in mind Solon said this year.

    Plus I think you pulled that far fewer costly mistakes out of your can. His QB rating is identical from year to year.

    Comment

    • Solon
      Lost in the flood
      • Nov 2008
      • 5747

      #32
      Originally posted by Tone Loc View Post
      Could you please explain how BJ turned Hays into a servicable QB when he is exactly the same QB with practically the exact stats as last year? Sounds like Chow deserves the credit for 'developing' him, because he isnt any better this year than last.
      LAUte said it best. "serviceable" is the lowest acceptable adjective I could use. Hays hasn't lost us any games. He doesn't fumble. He threw a couple of picks vs. USC but otherwise has been a decent game-manager. Don't get me wrong - Hays isn't a very good QB, but I feel like he's much better than he was last year.

      Hays isn't the biggest problem with the offense. Maybe that's the best way to put it.

      I know you're saying his stats are the same as last year, but I'd say he looks better than he did last year. His fundamentals are better. He seems to be making better decisions, even if he's limited.
      "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
      -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

      Comment

      • wally
        <><><><><><><><>
        • Jun 2010
        • 4137

        #33
        Originally posted by Solon View Post
        Turning Hays into a serviceable QB this year is a great credit to Brian Johnson.
        I thought that for a 25 YO first year OC, BJ did a pretty good job calling plays vs. USC. Less than stellar execution by Utah versus superior talent did not yield the result I wanted, but I thought that the play-calling was creative enough and showed some decent improvement over previous weeks.

        I remain staunchly optimistic about the BJ hire. (Sorry to PU and MPFunk if this is hard for you to hear!)

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #34
          Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
          I just think Hays is who he is, and he hasn't developed at all since he's been here. He doesn't make a ton of mistakes, but he doesn't make a ton of big plays either. He's just an average player.
          Bingo. He has a ceiling and has met it.

          Now, before we get too deep into a Hays-bashing fest, let's be clear that the guy is tough as nails, has all the heart in the world, and can inspire his teammates. There doesn't seem to be an ounce of pettiness or selfishness in him. I honor him and appreciate him for all that.

          Last year in the early going he lost games for us and regularly killed drives. This year he's not doing that and not throwing picks (the USC pick-6 is a notable exception, but that game was already out of reach). He's doing the best he can for us and with some decent blocking he should be good enough to get us bowl-eligible. I doubt it will be his fault if we don't get there.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • The_Douger
            Athletic Supporter
            • Jun 2012
            • 5413

            #35
            Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
            Bingo. He has a ceiling and has met it.

            Now, before we get too deep into a Hays-bashing fest, let's be clear that the guy is tough as nails, has all the heart in the world, and can inspire his teammates. There doesn't seem to be an ounce of pettiness or selfishness in him. I honor him and appreciate him for all that.

            Last year in the early going he lost games for us and regularly killed drives. This year he's not doing that and not throwing picks (the USC pick-6 is a notable exception, but that game was already out of reach). He's doing the best he can for us and with some decent blocking he should be good enough to get us bowl-eligible. I doubt it will be his fault if we don't get there.
            Given the dysfunction around him with an OC that I think is in over his head, and a poor offensive line, I think Hays has done fine.

            In fact, I'd prefer Hays over Riley at BYU. Maybe that just means I think really poorly of Riley though. Completely agreed that Hays seems like a good teammate.
            Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

            Comment

            • Portland Ute
              Junior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 5647

              #36
              Originally posted by wally View Post
              I remain staunchly optimistic about the BJ hire. (Sorry to PU and MPFunk if this is hard for you to hear!)
              Don't lump me in with MP on this.

              I was shocked and disappointed at the hire, but I've not been all that down on BJ. Maybe I haven't stated that clearly enough on CUF, but I've said that the very LAST thing the U. needs is more turnover at the OC position.

              I've said elsewhere that I was fairly impressed with the playcalling in the 1st half vs. USC and saw some glimmers of hope. There were a couple of drives that were really fun to watch.

              I think BJ will do better now that the decision has been made to go to the spread. He knows it. He understands it and I believe he's got the athletes to run it.

              Comment

              • Solon
                Lost in the flood
                • Nov 2008
                • 5747

                #37
                Originally posted by wally View Post
                I thought that for a 25 YO first year OC, BJ did a pretty good job calling plays vs. USC. Less than stellar execution by Utah versus superior talent did not yield the result I wanted, but I thought that the play-calling was creative enough and showed some decent improvement over previous weeks.

                I remain staunchly optimistic about the BJ hire. (Sorry to PU and MPFunk if this is hard for you to hear!)
                I'm optimistic too. I trust Whittingham; if he saw something special in BJ, he saw it. If Whit is willing to attach BJ's abilities to his own W-L record, I think fans should be willing to give the kid a couple of years to prove himself. It's an unorthodox move, for sure, but I'm still in wait-and-see mode.

                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Now, before we get too deep into a Hays-bashing fest, let's be clear that the guy is tough as nails, has all the heart in the world, and can inspire his teammates. There doesn't seem to be an ounce of pettiness or selfishness in him.
                I think Hays could be a really good coach someday
                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

                Comment

                • UtahJazzFan88
                  Jazz | Utes | Raiders
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 1678

                  #38
                  Wilson starting.

                  Comment

                  • BoylenOver
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 9146

                    #39
                    Well, as it was with Hays, the guys around Wilson (on offense and defense) have to do their jobs to enable him to do his.

                    He's much better-suited to run spread option than Hays, and has a much better pedigree. But we'll probably see some growing pains in terms of decision-making and holding onto the ball too long.
                    "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                    "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                    Comment

                    • The_Tick
                      Made something of myself
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7294

                      #40
                      This game on normal tv?

                      Comment

                      • BoylenOver
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 9146

                        #41
                        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        This game on normal tv?
                        Whatever your opinion of Fox (that's over-the-air Fox) is, that's the station carrying the game.
                        "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                        "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                        Comment

                        • hostile
                          lollygagger
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 5736

                          #42
                          Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          This game on normal tv?
                          In slc it is on Fox
                          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                          "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                          Comment

                          • The_Tick
                            Made something of myself
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7294

                            #43
                            Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            In slc it is on Fox
                            I will look for california

                            Comment

                            • The_Tick
                              Made something of myself
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 7294

                              #44
                              Not available in ca

                              Comment

                              • Mormon Red Death
                                BYU Delenda Est
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8077

                                #45
                                Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                                I will look for california
                                Its on fox nationwide

                                Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
                                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                                Comment

                                Working...