2012 BYU Football Season

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #571
    Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
    I don't get the complaining about Doman's comments. The fans have done nothing but complain about fat and out of shape OL for the past year. The fans complained about Heaps taking the summer off and not participating in offseason workouts with the team.

    Now an article comes out and it looks like they are working hard at getting the OL in shape and that conditioning is the primary focus of the summer off-season. Unlike last year, our starting QB is leading the charge, and all people do is complain about the article. Isn't this what everyone wanted, or did I misunderstand the complaining that went on over the past 10 months?
    The Cycle is thus:

    1. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before

    2. Season has bumps along the way where it becomes "obvious" that players didn't work hard in the offseason and that they weren't really all that close

    3. Coaches claim to be working on items identified in #2

    4. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before
    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • YOhio
      Hipster Mode
      • Nov 2008
      • 26165

      #572
      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
      The Cycle is thus:

      1. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before

      2. Season has bumps along the way where it becomes "obvious" that players didn't work hard in the offseason and that they weren't really all that close

      3. Coaches claim to be working on items identified in #2

      4. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before
      You can also occasionally blame an assistant coach or two for the problem. It's not always offseason workouts or team chemistry.

      Comment

      • BYUMizzou
        Junior Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 400

        #573
        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
        The Cycle is thus:

        1. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before

        2. Season has bumps along the way where it becomes "obvious" that players didn't work hard in the offseason and that they weren't really all that close

        3. Coaches claim to be working on items identified in #2

        4. Coaches and/or players rave about how they are working harder than ever in the offseason and that they are closer as a team than ever before
        My impression of Doman is that he isn't one to spoon feed BS. Bronco, on the other hand (and I love Bronco), tends to reach a little bit with his comments on occasion. When Doman says they're trying to focus on the OL conditioning, I tend to believe that they're trying harder to focus on getting the OL in shape.

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #574
          Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
          My impression of Doman is that he isn't one to spoon feed BS. Bronco, on the other hand (and I love Bronco), tends to reach a little bit with his comments on occasion. When Doman says they're trying to focus on the OL conditioning, I tend to believe that they're trying harder to focus on getting the OL in shape.
          I could be wrong, not the greatest of memories here. Didn't Doman hype how good Heaps was looking before the season started?

          Like I said, nothing wrong with loving what is being told, but based on the track record, I see nothing wrong in not getting expectations up. Both types of fans can coexist.

          Comment

          • Indy Coug
            Heartless Bastard
            • Dec 2008
            • 18747

            #575
            Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
            My impression of Doman is that he isn't one to spoon feed BS. Bronco, on the other hand (and I love Bronco), tends to reach a little bit with his comments on occasion. When Doman says they're trying to focus on the OL conditioning, I tend to believe that they're trying harder to focus on getting the OL in shape.
            The funny thing is the OL is (was) in no worse shape than the majority of D-1 programs. Sure, they could improve their conditioning, sure they could shed a few pounds, but I don't think that's going to make much of a difference come game time.

            However, if you gear your comments and press coverage to deal with the topics fans are griping about, you temporarily keep them at bay.
            Everything in life is an approximation.

            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

            Comment

            • lambdacoug
              Junior Member
              • Oct 2011
              • 3981

              #576
              Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
              I don't get the complaining about Doman's comments. The fans have done nothing but complain about fat and out of shape OL for the past year. The fans complained about Heaps taking the summer off and not participating in offseason workouts with the team.

              Now an article comes out and it looks like they are working hard at getting the OL in shape and that conditioning is the primary focus of the summer off-season. Unlike last year, our starting QB is leading the charge, and all people do is complain about the article. Isn't this what everyone wanted, or did I misunderstand the complaining that went on over the past 10 months?
              I'm sick of this hype year in and year out. Stop the stupid talk of fantastic seasons ahead and playing for perfection or the national title, etc... I'd prefer to see results and one game at a time, and no overly optimistic prognostications about how this is the greatest team/offseason/qb/burrito/ol/punter since sliced bread and portioned toilet paper...
              Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
              - Howard Aiken

              Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
              - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

              Comment

              • BYUMizzou
                Junior Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 400

                #577
                Originally posted by atheistcougar View Post
                I'm sick of this hype year in and year out. Stop the stupid talk of fantastic seasons ahead and playing for perfection or the national title, etc... I'd prefer to see results and one game at a time, and no overly optimistic prognostications about how this is the greatest team/offseason/qb/burrito/ol/punter since sliced bread and portioned toilet paper...
                I feel a little bit sorry for fans who feel like they have to protect their feelings by being cynical and skeptical about every semi-positive thing that comes out in the media before the season starts. I enjoy the expectation and anticipation of every upcoming football season. I love to dream that my BYU team could have a breakout year and do great things. That's how I choose to be a fan.

                Comment

                • lambdacoug
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • 3981

                  #578
                  Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                  I feel a little bit sorry for fans who feel like they have to protect their feelings by being cynical and skeptical about every semi-positive thing that comes out in the media before the season starts. I enjoy the expectation and anticipation of every upcoming football season. I love to dream that my BYU team could have a breakout year and do great things. That's how I choose to be a fan.


                  I'd like to see Bronco muzzle his players and coaches and hear the mantra from everyone that we are taking the season one game at a time. I'd prefer to hear "We are working hard to fix what lacking last year." rather than "We are working harder than I've ever seen before." That falls flat after a while. Ever heard the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"? I used to buy into the hype as well, after the Big 12 drama and last year with Jake Hypes, I'd rather just see results and no hype. I won't believe the hype until they can actually back it up.
                  Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
                  - Howard Aiken

                  Any sufficiently complicated platform contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of a functional programming language.
                  - Variation on Greenspun's Tenth Rule

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #579
                    Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                    I feel a little bit sorry for fans who feel like they have to protect their feelings by being cynical and skeptical about every semi-positive thing that comes out in the media before the season starts. I enjoy the expectation and anticipation of every upcoming football season. I love to dream that my BYU team could have a breakout year and do great things. That's how I choose to be a fan.
                    C'mon. Can't you just be happy being the kind of fan you are and not have to heap praise on yourself for it.

                    This isn't like "I am so greatful to be a member of the church and feel sorry for all those who don't have the truth and light". This is football pure and simple and fans will be fans.

                    I tried over and over to indicate I appreciate fans like you, the optimistic ones. However, when it gets to you thinking others should be like you it gets a bit much.

                    Comment

                    • YOhio
                      Hipster Mode
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 26165

                      #580
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      C'mon. Can't you just be happy being the kind of fan you are and not have to heap praise on yourself for it.

                      This isn't like "I am so greatful to be a member of the church and feel sorry for all those who don't have the truth and light". This is football pure and simple and fans will be fans.

                      I tried over and over to indicate I appreciate fans like you, the optimistic ones. However, when it gets to you thinking others should be like you it gets a bit much.
                      Sheesh. He offers his sympathy and you throw it right back at him. I mean, he doesn't have to feel sorry for you. Show a little gratitude.

                      Comment

                      • BYUMizzou
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 400

                        #581
                        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                        C'mon. Can't you just be happy being the kind of fan you are and not have to heap praise on yourself for it.

                        This isn't like "I am so greatful to be a member of the church and feel sorry for all those who don't have the truth and light". This is football pure and simple and fans will be fans.

                        I tried over and over to indicate I appreciate fans like you, the optimistic ones. However, when it gets to you thinking others should be like you it gets a bit much.
                        We get it. You're old and grumpy.

                        Comment

                        • byu71
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22070

                          #582
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Sheesh. He offers his sympathy and you throw it right back at him. I mean, he doesn't have to feel sorry for you. Show a little gratitude.
                          Sorry. I have always had a bad habit of being ungreatful for those that try to lift me out of my slothful ways.

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #583
                            Originally posted by BYUMizzou View Post
                            We get it. You're old and grumpy.
                            LOL I miss that about CB.

                            Comment

                            • MarkGrace
                              Grooveshark dick tease
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 31546

                              #584
                              Our coaches are never going to learn their lesson. I much prefer the Urban/Kyle approach at this point.
                              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                              Comment

                              • YOhio
                                Hipster Mode
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 26165

                                #585
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                LOL I miss that about CB.
                                You've probably forgotten that we also make fun of you here for being old and grumpy.

                                Comment

                                Working...