The Heaps of Goodbyes Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • SeattleUte
    Faith crisis consultant
    • Nov 2008
    • 20837

    #31
    I'm probably stating the obvious here. There are some implied platitudes in what follows. But somebody has to say it.

    The worst thing that ever happened to Heaps was being ranked no. 1 among pro-style quarterbacks by ESPN. Even then, he received a fairly modest 80 rating. Apparently it was not a great year for pro-style QBs. Apparently ESPN was right. He was not the HS quarterback of the decade. How many highly ranked and highly pro style quarterbacks bust? A lot.

    Still, none of us knows whether Heaps is a bust. I learned with Brian Johnson that you're lucky if you get two great years from these college quarterbacks; they're still very much developing physically, intellectually and emotionally, and the position is really demanding, needless to say. We got less than two great years with Brian, but he gave us one season for the ages, and will be remembered for all the ages at Utah, for that one season. At the end of the day, he was the opposite of a bust, though Johnson was where Wynn is now at similar stages in their careers. He was also benched for a time in favor of a virtual walk-on. As many here have noted, BYU's great quarterbacks often had to climb a steep hill, and wait their turn.

    But the no. 1 ESPN ranking, fans' expectations (the din here and on Cougarboard was incredible a year before he arrived; I even said long before his freshman year that I was sick of hearing his name; congratulations you all for not doing the same thing to Mangum), he came with a publicist (barf), and then against Bronco's better judgment and probably in response to fan and booster (and parent?) pressure, Heaps started as a freshman and didn't redshirt.

    He's been in over his head. And to make matters worse, he married when he was 19, in homage to the honor code (his is not the first life the honor code has damaged or ruined, is it). Now that's his biggest challenge in life whereas college and football should have been at this stage.

    I only feel sorry for him because it's clear his parents have hurt him, and he's been a victim of the most twisted traits of BYU culture. As creekster said, nobody is born with a reasonable expectation of being a superstar. Most of the ones who are anointed as such while kids just fade away. Heaps still has a bright and happy future, whatever happens with his football life, if he can take control of his own life and forget the pre-college accolades, pretend they didn't happen.

    I think he should transfer, but probably not to Utah (in his won best interests). Sometimes people need a fresh start. I doubt he'd get that at Utah, with BYU fans still all around.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

    --Jonathan Swift

    Comment

    • WashingtonCoug
      Monsters like me
      • Jan 2009
      • 1489

      #32
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I'm probably stating the obvious here. There are some implied platitudes in what follows. But somebody has to say it.

      The worst thing that ever happened to Heaps was being ranked no. 1 among pro-style quarterbacks by ESPN. Even then, he received a fairly modest 80 rating. Apparently it was not a great year for pro-style QBs. Apparently ESPN was right. He was not the HS quarterback of the decade. How many highly ranked and highly pro style quarterbacks bust? A lot.

      Still, none of us knows whether Heaps is a bust. I learned with Brian Johnson that you're lucky if you get two great years from these college quarterbacks; they're still very much developing physically, intellectually and emotionally, and the position is really demanding, needless to say. We got less than two great years with Brian, but he gave us one season for the ages, and will be remembered for all the ages at Utah, for that one season. At the end of the day, he was the opposite of a bust, though Johnson was where Wynn is now at similar stages in their careers. He was also benched for a time in favor of a virtual walk-on. As many here have noted, BYU's great quarterbacks often had to climb a steep hill, and wait their turn.

      But the no. 1 ESPN ranking, fans' expectations (the din here and on Cougarboard was incredible a year before he arrived; I even said long before his freshman year that I was sick of hearing his name; congratulations you all for not doing the same thing to Mangum), he came with a publicist (barf), and then against Bronco's better judgment and probably in response to fan and booster (and parent?) pressure, Heaps started as a freshman and didn't redshirt.

      He's been in over his head. And to make matters worse, he married when he was 19, in homage to the honor code (his is not the first life the honor code has damaged or ruined, is it). Now that's his biggest challenge in life whereas college and football should have been at this stage.

      I only feel sorry for him because it's clear his parents have hurt him, and he's been a victim of the most twisted traits of BYU culture. As creekster said, nobody is born with a reasonable expectation of being a superstar. Most of the ones who are anointed as such while kids just fade away. Heaps still has a bright and happy future, whatever happens with his football life, if he can take control of his own life and forget the pre-college accolades, pretend they didn't happen.

      I think he should transfer, but probably not to Utah (in his won best interests). Sometimes people need a fresh start. I doubt he'd get that at Utah, with BYU fans still all around.
      I think this is a pretty good post. I agree with much of what you said. My only disagreement is that I don't think he should transfer. He needs to mature, take a year to sit on the bench and then come back as a true leader of this team.
      "To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
      —Abraham Maslow

      Comment

      • WhyBeYou
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 12

        #33
        Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
        Jake has zero shot regardless of Nelson's play, this is a very deeply emotional and personal thing Bronco has with Riley, evidenced by how he broke down in tears talking about how much he loves how Riley plays and praising him for the terrible decisions saying he is proud that he is trying to make plays.
        Broncos' love for Riley will fade.. Just as the Denver Broncos fan's love for Tebow.

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25266

          #34
          Originally posted by WhyBeYou View Post
          Broncos' love for Riley will fade.. Just as the Denver Broncos fan's love for Tebow.
          Which Denver Broncos fan?
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • WhyBeYou
            Junior Member
            • Oct 2011
            • 12

            #35
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Which Denver Broncos fan?
            Only the one's that want to see Denver win.

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #36
              Banned
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #37
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Which Denver Broncos fan?
                This one baby!
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #38
                  While SU's post is far from sincere I too would agree with much of it, maybe not for exactly the same reasons, but the end result would be probably the same.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #39
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    I'm probably stating the obvious here. There are some implied platitudes in what follows. But somebody has to say it.

                    The worst thing that ever happened to Heaps was being ranked no. 1 among pro-style quarterbacks by ESPN. Even then, he received a fairly modest 80 rating. Apparently it was not a great year for pro-style QBs. Apparently ESPN was right. He was not the HS quarterback of the decade. How many highly ranked and highly pro style quarterbacks bust? A lot.

                    Still, none of us knows whether Heaps is a bust. I learned with Brian Johnson that you're lucky if you get two great years from these college quarterbacks; they're still very much developing physically, intellectually and emotionally, and the position is really demanding, needless to say. We got less than two great years with Brian, but he gave us one season for the ages, and will be remembered for all the ages at Utah, for that one season. At the end of the day, he was the opposite of a bust, though Johnson was where Wynn is now at similar stages in their careers. He was also benched for a time in favor of a virtual walk-on. As many here have noted, BYU's great quarterbacks often had to climb a steep hill, and wait their turn.

                    But the no. 1 ESPN ranking, fans' expectations (the din here and on Cougarboard was incredible a year before he arrived; I even said long before his freshman year that I was sick of hearing his name; congratulations you all for not doing the same thing to Mangum), he came with a publicist (barf), and then against Bronco's better judgment and probably in response to fan and booster (and parent?) pressure, Heaps started as a freshman and didn't redshirt.

                    He's been in over his head. And to make matters worse, he married when he was 19, in homage to the honor code (his is not the first life the honor code has damaged or ruined, is it). Now that's his biggest challenge in life whereas college and football should have been at this stage.

                    I only feel sorry for him because it's clear his parents have hurt him, and he's been a victim of the most twisted traits of BYU culture. As creekster said, nobody is born with a reasonable expectation of being a superstar. Most of the ones who are anointed as such while kids just fade away. Heaps still has a bright and happy future, whatever happens with his football life, if he can take control of his own life and forget the pre-college accolades, pretend they didn't happen.

                    I think he should transfer, but probably not to Utah (in his won best interests). Sometimes people need a fresh start. I doubt he'd get that at Utah, with BYU fans still all around.
                    Decent take. I think you are right ........sorry, just can't bring myself to say it.

                    Comment

                    • MarkGrace
                      Grooveshark dick tease
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 31546

                      #40
                      I learned with Brian Johnson that you're lucky if you get two great years from these college quarterbacks; they're still very much developing physically, intellectually and emotionally, and the position is really demanding, needless to say.
                      Many years ago a very sage man (a former BYU QB, actually) told me to never expect anything out of a BYU QB before his Jr. year. I've pretty much stuck with that since.
                      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                      Comment

                      • Hsaru
                        Junior Member
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 1109

                        #41
                        With Bronco's newest comments saying he wants Riley's high five of the ref to be the symbol of this team moving forward, I think it is all but a certainty that Jake is going to transfer. Bronco doesn't look like he is even trying to prevent it anymore, he just told Jake that you are done with this team, we have moved on, your chances of competing are over.



                        The last sentence is reading between the lines/speculation if it wasn't clear.
                        Last edited by Hsaru; 11-01-2011, 05:55 PM.

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                          With Bronco's newest comments saying he wants Riley's high five of the ref to be the symbol of this team moving forward, I think it is all but a certainty that Jake is going to transfer. Bronco doesn't look like he is even trying to prevent it anymore, he just told Jake that you are done with this team, we have moved on, your chances of competing are over.
                          Link?

                          Comment

                          • Shaka
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 10449

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                            With Bronco's newest comments saying he wants Riley's high five of the ref to be the symbol of this team moving forward, I think it is all but a certainty that Jake is going to transfer. Bronco doesn't look like he is even trying to prevent it anymore, he just told Jake that you are done with this team, we have moved on, your chances of competing are over.



                            The last sentence is reading between the lines/speculation if it wasn't clear.
                            It's amazing how you're able to spin virtually everything into someone hating on Jake.

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Hsaru View Post
                              With Bronco's newest comments saying he wants Riley's high five of the ref to be the symbol of this team moving forward, I think it is all but a certainty that Jake is going to transfer. Bronco doesn't look like he is even trying to prevent it anymore, he just told Jake that you are done with this team, we have moved on, your chances of competing are over.



                              The last sentence is reading between the lines/speculation if it wasn't clear.
                              Dude, come in off the ledge. Seriously, it is cold outside.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • Hsaru
                                Junior Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 1109

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                It's amazing how you're able to spin virtually everything into someone hating on Jake.
                                Radio hosts thought the same thing, thats where I heard it. I'm not pulling this out of my ass.

                                Comment

                                Working...