Holy War 2011

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Commando
    Explosivo
    • Feb 2009
    • 20748

    #1516
    Jake effed up several times, no doubt. However, this game isn't half the clusterfuck it turned out to be if we have a semblance of a running game. End of story.

    What does this game look like w Tonga and Harvey behind the line? We need a f*cking fullback stat.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

    Comment

    • Shaka
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2008
      • 10450

      #1517
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      Jake effed up several times, no doubt. However, this game isn't half the clusterfuck it turned out to be if we have a semblance of a running game. End of story.

      What does this game look like w Tonga and Harvey behind the line? We need a f*cking fullback stat.
      I hope Alisa is going to get a lot of reps in practice.

      Comment

      • Senioritis
        Mr. Crimson Lover
        • Nov 2008
        • 694

        #1518
        Originally posted by Senioritis View Post

        3. I will not gloat, but I would like to give just a little advice to my good friends here of the blue clad variety. When, next June and July, you are bored of the offseason and are looking for any tidbit of football information to slake your thirst, DON'T BUY THE HYPE! Your last really relevant season was 1996, but you continue to set your expectations at the 1996 Or Bust level. For once, just for once, wait to see what you've got before you unwittingly fall prey to the verbal stylings of HB Arnett & Co. It is possible to enjoy a football season without preseason expectations of going undefeated. Try it. You won't be disappointed. And, next June, if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them to have a big glass of shut the hell up. Just do it. You've got a bunch of good players. You've got a bunch of people passionate about their success. You've got a coach who wins a lot. You aren't going away. But, just once, try it before you buy it.
        P.S. This is probably more for the blue clad supporters who surround me in my non-cyber life, as there aren't that many kool aid drinkers here. There are a few, even the strong, but not many. However, because I am too chicken to say this to my blue clad friends in non-cyber world, I felt like I should say it somewhere. It feels good to have said it. Thank you.

        Comment

        • Green Monstah
          Royal Rooter
          • Aug 2010
          • 13981

          #1519
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          No. In fact I think you and everyone else that wants to pin this on Heaps are dead wrong. I am high on Heaps but he ain't perfect. But this offense has serious issues and they don't start or end with the QB. And I wanted to avoid the board today so I wouldn't have to read the analysis of armchair QBs who have never played a down of tackle football. Navigating the posts today are as frustrating as watching the game last night.
          I think you misread my post. I spread the blame fairly well without ignoring Heaps role in the stagnant offense.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #1520
            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
            Jake isn't playing well and it's not just the offensive scheme and the play calling that are the causes. People are right to be calling Jake out at this time. They should also be calling out a bunch of other people including the O-line and running backs.
            The O-line is terrible in run blocking. The RBs are all terrible. BYU is 116th in rushing offense. That's almost last in the country. I honestly don't know what anyone here expects out of a QB when you are so one dimensional offensively.

            I am not saying Jake has been great. But he's been adequate and IMO pretty good considering he's been hamstrung by no ground game.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • Shaka
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 10450

              #1521
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              The O-line is terrible in run blocking. The RBs are all terrible. BYU is 116th in rushing offense. That's almost last in the country. I honestly don't know what anyone here expects out of a QB when you are so one dimensional offensively.

              I am not saying Jake has been great. But he's been adequate and IMO pretty good considering he's been hamstrung by no ground game.
              I expect my quarterback to make throws that most high school sophomore QB's have mastered. I expect him to not casually try to handle snaps that aren't going to hit him in the numbers. I expect him to not stare down receivers and to progress to his second and third reads instead of checking all the way down to his release valve. I expect him to at least make a token attempt at a tackle when he throws a pick. Lastly I expect him to be contrite and not make a fool of himself at the post-game press conference.

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10450

                #1522
                Also I expect the band to STFU when my struggling quarterback is trying to audible!

                Comment

                • KillerDog
                  a.k.a. K-dog
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 4196

                  #1523
                  Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                  How the hell could you sit through that game to the end? Props, man. No way would I ever have stayed.
                  I do it to support the kids.

                  Comment

                  • Shaka
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 10450

                    #1524
                    Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                    I do it to support the kids.
                    I stayed too. For some weird reason I feel like I need to sit and suffer along with the team.

                    Comment

                    • Flattop
                      Many books, little time
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 1452

                      #1525
                      Originally posted by Senioritis View Post
                      A few thingy dingys:

                      1. The book on Jordan Wynn is that you hit him good, he gets happy feet, and he turns into a pile of steaming stuff with raisins like Lane's mom makes in Better Off Dead. So, last night, Wynn gets popped, stays down a bit, comes back in, and plays better. That's a huge step. Wynn is like Tim Wakefield. He's the first knuckleball quarterback in the history of Utah Football. He won't impress anybody, but he damn well has a chance to beat you. It's time to get on board, Utes. He's what we've got, and unless and until he gets hurt again, he's your quarterback for the next 23 games. Love him for what he is.

                      2. I thought the difference makers for Utah's defense were a couple of backup white dudes - Trevor Reilly and Quade Chappuis. Reilly just seemed like he was in on every play. Great motor. Chappuis is a walk on safety from Lone Peak who holds the dubious honor of being the fastest honky on the team. Walker and Rowe got the first snaps, and seemed to be about six steps slow covering the flat early on. Chappuis and McGill came in, and a lot of that went away. There were still completions, but they were of the 3-4 yard variety, rather than the first down variety. This was important, because Utah had to play more bump and run due to BYU's success with the short game early on. Chappuis is an undersized, overachieving walk on white kid from Utah County with a beastly desire to give the business. Perfect Scalley guy, and I'll be surprised if he doesn't get the majority of the reps going forward.

                      3. I will not gloat, but I would like to give just a little advice to my good friends here of the blue clad variety. When, next June and July, you are bored of the offseason and are looking for any tidbit of football information to slake your thirst, DON'T BUY THE HYPE! Your last really relevant season was 1996, but you continue to set your expectations at the 1996 Or Bust level. For once, just for once, wait to see what you've got before you unwittingly fall prey to the verbal stylings of HB Arnett & Co. It is possible to enjoy a football season without preseason expectations of going undefeated. Try it. You won't be disappointed. And, next June, if anyone tells you otherwise, tell them to have a big glass of shut the hell up. Just do it. You've got a bunch of good players. You've got a bunch of people passionate about their success. You've got a coach who wins a lot. You aren't going away. But, just once, try it before you buy it.

                      4. The names of respective return specialists from the two teams last night:

                      Reggie Dunn
                      JD Falslev

                      I will let you draw your own conclusions.

                      5. I thought the momentum of the game turned in the two series just before halftime - the Utah stop of BYU and the Jake Murphy breakout party. However, the game stayed competitive until the two series in the middle of the third quarter. The score is 30-10, Utah has to kickoff from the 20, and BYU returns it to about the 45. BYU gets a first down to the Utah 45, then three incompletions and a punt to the Utah 10. Utah gets the ball with 6:00 left in the quarter, and goes seven consecutive running plays, all to John White. 43 yards in 7 plays, eating up about four minutes off the clock and totally sucking the will out of BYU's defense. Even though it ended in a punt, that was checkmate. The rest was just for entertainment.

                      6. The season starts now. I really believe that if Utah wins the next two at home, they will win the South, with a huge giant asterisk, but whatever. ASU is the competition, but they will lose at home to USC and @ Oregon. If Utah gets them, that's 3 conference losses. Utah beats ASU and Washington the next two games, they are 2-1. They have to win all the home games (OSU, UCLA, and the Bison), and then win just one of @Cal, @AZ, @WSU. It's possible, but the next two really set them up. Got to beat Washington and ASU at home.

                      7. For obvious reasons, I am not swallowing the Utah offense wholeheartedly. However, I believe the D is good enough to keep Utah in every game, and if Wynn keeps doing his thing they'll be alright.

                      Knuckleballs to the wall!
                      :clap:
                      Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                      Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                      Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #1526
                        Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        I expect my quarterback to make throws that most high school sophomore QB's have mastered. I expect him to not casually try to handle snaps that aren't going to hit him in the numbers. I expect him to not stare down receivers and to progress to his second and third reads instead of checking all the way down to his release valve. I expect him to at least make a token attempt at a tackle when he throws a pick. Lastly I expect him to be contrite and not make a fool of himself at the post-game press conference.
                        I wish he had more touch to complete those 2 yard passes more consistently. I also wish that Terrence Brown could get the ball back to Heaps a bit quicker. The defensive front is 3 steps into the backfield by the time he receives the snap. I also wish Jake never had to worry about where the snap is going to end up. There is zero reason that ball shouldn't hit him in the numbers every play. I also wish the OL would give him more time to get through his progressions. I also wish he never watched Jason Street get paralyzed. And I really don't care what he says post game as long as it doesn't negatively impact chemistry.
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • Shaka
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 10450

                          #1527
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          I wish he had more touch to complete those 2 yard passes more consistently. I also wish that Terrence Brown could get the ball back to Heaps a bit quicker. The defensive front is 3 steps into the backfield by the time he receives the snap. I also wish Jake never had to worry about where the snap is going to end up. There is zero reason that ball shouldn't hit him in the numbers every play. I also wish the OL would give him more time to get through his progressions. I also wish he never watched Jason Street get paralyzed. And I really don't care what he says post game as long as it doesn't negatively impact chemistry.
                          A perfect response. I tip my hat to you sir!

                          Comment

                          • KillerDog
                            a.k.a. K-dog
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 4196

                            #1528
                            Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                            I stayed too. For some weird reason I feel like I need to sit and suffer along with the team.
                            They practiced enough to earn my respect and I can stay in the stadium to support them.

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #1529
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              I wish he had more touch to complete those 2 yard passes more consistently. I also wish that Terrence Brown could get the ball back to Heaps a bit quicker. The defensive front is 3 steps into the backfield by the time he receives the snap. I also wish Jake never had to worry about where the snap is going to end up. There is zero reason that ball shouldn't hit him in the numbers every play.
                              I don't pretend to know anything about line play, but I have noticed the last couple of games that BYU's center holds the ball pre-snap differently than most others. Seemingly holding it by the tip of the ball instead a more traditional grip. I wonder if that adds to the errant snaps?
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #1530
                                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                I don't pretend to know anything about line play, but I have noticed the last couple of games that BYU's center holds the ball pre-snap differently than most others. Seemingly holding it by the tip of the ball instead a more traditional grip. I wonder if that adds to the errant snaps?
                                To me, he holds it that way because he can't squat to get his head up to make his reads for the line. Holding it by the tip gives him a little bit more room because he can't get his fat ass down and head up. He grips down a bit further on his actual snap. But he's not getting his arm straight back and quick enough so he's lofting the ball. A few have actually hit that big rear end of his.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...