Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Babs View Post
    yahoo still exists?
    Yes. In fact, I just saw a car just the other day at church with a Texas Yahoo license tag...

Looks like it was the car of a BYU grad too.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post

I would say most do not associate Notre Dame with Roman Catholicism or at least it's a remote link. If Notre Dame were to receive probation for recruiting violations or otherwise get bad press; people usually don't hold that as a verdict against Roman Catholicm. However, the same can't be said about BYU. And it's justifiable because the LDS church has integrated BYU as part of its brand and has a vested interest in protecting it and thus its image and PR.
      1 in 6 people in the US are Catholic, at least nominally (perhaps they go to Mass on Easter and Christmas). Everybody knows and deals with at least a handfull of Catholics. Maybe 1 in 50 people in the US are Mormon, or at least are counted on the rolls whether or not they ever attend church.

Outside of the Western US, most people will come across a Mormon at some point in their lives but will not have much exposure beyond that. Most of the contact comes through: 1) missionaries, 2) neighbors/friends/coworkers who are members, 3) positive press (eg James Fredette, 'The Book of Mormon' musical), 4) negative press (eg Brandon Davies stories, 'The Book of Mormon' musical).

ND was almost completely unaffected by the priests diddling little boys scandal, and is typically seen as entirely unconnected. Likewise Boston College, Georgetown, Creighton, Holy Cross, Loyola, St Josephs, San Francisco, Seattle, Xavier, Loyola, Marquette, Fordham, etc (all Jesuit universities) are typically held as unrelated to Church scandals and most bad press.

The same disconnect from its parent church cannot be claimed by BYU. The Prop 8 campaign for example was very closely associated with the church and also with BYU, whether fair or not.

And don't even get started on history. Sure the Catholic church has driven some unbelievably horrific events throughout history, but most of those were centuries ago on a different continent. BYU is still tied to 'blacks and the priesthood' which is something that happened mere decades ago in THIS country. The stereotype is almost entirely untrue, but the label is firmly affixed and won't be removed any time soon.

For the record, I usually wear my Utah gear only on game days, but sometimes I will wear a Drum n' Feather hat. I am not particularly fond of wearing college team gear (though I love wearing my Pats hoodies and hats, especially here in the Land of the Seattle SeaChickens...).

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
        Yes. In fact, I just saw a car just the other day at church with a Texas Yahoo license tag...

Looks like it was the car of a BYU grad too.
        So should I get one that says
        kie1:CH ?

Comment

I grew up LDS in Denver, removed from the "Utah" LDS culture.

I had several BYU sweatshirts and hats and took pride in BYU's football success while I was in high school.

After I moved here it didn't take long to associate BYU with the types of fans that post on Cougar-board.

I don't see the brand ever catching on nationally.

Hell... I don't see the brand growing locally either.

My neighborhood in Bountiful sports 5 Ute flags for every Cougar flag.

I'm one of those "Ute" mormons that doesn't want to be mistaken for one of those Mullah Mo's.
          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
          -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
          -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

Or maybe get an Arizona one and spell Ask Jeeves, or Michigan and Metacrawler. I think that has too many letters, though.

Comment

What does QUCH mean?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, with pretty hearts....

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I was thinking maybe kie1:THOUSE might just about do it.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
                    If the gear is worn near enough to New Haven, you may get a "Go Bulldogs!"
                    I got a "Go Yale!" in Jackson Hole back when BYU was in the Crowton/scandal doldrums. I didn't bother to correct him.

Comment

Originally posted by Devildog View Post

I'm one of those "Ute" mormons that doesn't want to be mistaken for one of those Mullah Mo's.
                      I think the term you are searching for is "zoot".
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                        I got a "Go Yale!" in Jackson Hole back when BYU was in the Crowton/scandal doldrums. I didn't bother to correct him.
                        But was he wrong?

I recall hearing a few "Yale Sucks!" getting lobbed at my coworker (byu grad) walking around in Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc. I had to chuckle, for multiple reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          I think the term you are searching for is "zoot".
                          Didn't you come up with ALUF too?

Anyway... The whole pious, sanctimonious, self-rYghteous thing seems like a tough sell to a national audience.
                          "We should remember that one man is much the same as another, and that he is best who is trained in the severest school."
                          -Thucydides

"Study strategy over the years and achieve the spirit of the warrior. Today is victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men."
                          -Miyamoto Musashi

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

How about kie1:IJABRD?
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                              How about kie1:IJABRD?
                              I think the one you are looking for is:

kie1: T

Comment

Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
                                I think the one you are looking for is:

kie1: T
                                kie1:TCAST

Comment

Working...