The Pac-12 participation thread.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Hot Lunch
    Out of Office
    • Nov 2008
    • 7842

    #1036
    Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
    Do we have different rules than other schools to get kids qualified?
    No you do not. Don't let other BYU fans try and tell you that you do. They use the same NCAA qualifications that most schools go by. Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and a couple of others that require higher qualifications that the school has in place. BYU uses the NCAA qualifications for their athletes.
    "Take it to the Bank"

    Comment

    • Topper
      Pre-Historic Man
      • Nov 2011
      • 11764

      #1037
      Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
      In other words, are high academic standards hurting BYU football recruiting? Probably not.
      Lack of conference affiliation and appearances in big bowls?
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

      Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25266

        #1038
        Originally posted by Topper View Post
        Lack of conference affiliation and appearances in big bowls?
        Please find out what NewsBot thinks, and return and report.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69687

          #1039
          Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
          No you do not. Don't let other BYU fans try and tell you that you do. They use the same NCAA qualifications that most schools go by. Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and a couple of others that require higher qualifications that the school has in place. BYU uses the NCAA qualifications for their athletes.
          Whoops. You need to correct the Des News. Looks like they got it wrong.



          A recent Associated Press review of most of the 120 top-tier football programs showed that athletes enjoyed a significantly better chance at admissions being bent on their behalf. BYU, like most private universities, doesn't provide minimum academic requirements for enrollment; however, the football program does.

          "It's all something that is very unique to BYU," said assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Joe DuPaix. "I know for a fact, from experience, that other programs aren't necessarily like that. Every program is different, but we're not one of those that are going to go out and offer a kid just because someone else did. We're going to see if that kid is a fit-first kid, and academics is a huge part of that. Academics is a huge part of what we are as a football program."
          The baseline to enroll at BYU and to be part of its football program is a 3.3 GPA, coupled with a 19 on the ACT. There is a bit of a sliding scale, as someone could qualify with a 3.0 GPA and a 24 on the ACT, according to coaches, but they try to stick as closely to the stated "baseline" as possible.

          Most schools, particularly state schools, don't have enrollment requirements quite as high as BYU's. Utah, due to its joining the Pac-12, recently raised theirs to a baseline of a 2.6 GPA and an 18 on the ACT while Utah State calls for a 2.5 minimum GPA and a 19 on the ACT.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • HBCoug
            Peanut Gallery Asshat
            • Dec 2008
            • 2082

            #1040
            Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
            Do we have different rules than other schools to get kids qualified?
            Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
            No you do not. Don't let other BYU fans try and tell you that you do. They use the same NCAA qualifications that most schools go by. Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and a couple of others that require higher qualifications that the school has in place. BYU uses the NCAA qualifications for their athletes.
            Don't listen to HL as he's a complete turncoat. He used to fist roll when Max Hall led the Cougs to blue zone drives that actually culminated with TDs, but then saw $ signs in his eyes when the Utes started getting partial Pac-12 money. Also, he rode YOhio's coattails to HS football glory. Think about it ... there has to be a reason recruits turn down the BYU experience, and my guess is it's because we're the Harvard of the West and the Stanford of about 800 miles east.

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #1041
              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              No you do not. Don't let other BYU fans try and tell you that you do. They use the same NCAA qualifications that most schools go by. Duke, Stanford, Notre Dame and a couple of others that require higher qualifications that the school has in place. BYU uses the NCAA qualifications for their athletes.
              I am not sure about this.

              What about Pita Taumoepenu? He was not admitted to BYU but was able to attend Utah.

              Also Sione Takitaki is a very solid BYU commit right now but does not qualify, yet he tripped to Washington State and they have said they can get him in.

              Maybe BYU picks and chooses the kids they lower the standards for .
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • Hot Lunch
                Out of Office
                • Nov 2008
                • 7842

                #1042
                Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                I am not sure about this.

                What about Pita Taumoepenu? He was not admitted to BYU but was able to attend Utah.

                Also Sione Takitaki is a very solid BYU commit right now but does not qualify, yet he tripped to Washington State and they have said they can get him in.

                Maybe BYU picks and chooses the kids they lower the standards for .
                Maybe the Pac12 has a loophole I am not aware of now.
                "Take it to the Bank"

                Comment

                • MartyFunkhouser
                  Disciple of RNGesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18747

                  #1043
                  Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                  I can't ever blame a kid for choosing Stanford. Hard to pass up on that education and as a parent, I know that is were I would be encouraging my child to play if they wanted him.
                  That is because you are a good parent. Any parent that encourages their child to give up a free education at Stanford for a school like Utah or BYU is a bad parent.
                  Last edited by MartyFunkhouser; 01-14-2014, 10:26 AM.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

                  Comment

                  • cougjunkie
                    *Banned*
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 23223

                    #1044
                    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    That is because you are a good parent. Any parent that encourages their child to give up a free education at Stanford for a school like Utah or BYU is a bad parent.
                    I hope my nanny teaches my kids these same principles.
                    *Banned*

                    Comment

                    • cougjunkie
                      *Banned*
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 23223

                      #1045
                      Congrats to the Utes are raiding Laramie for another coach. I bet the Wyoming is starting to hate Utah as much as Colorado does.
                      *Banned*

                      Comment

                      • Hot Lunch
                        Out of Office
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 7842

                        #1046
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Whoops. You need to correct the Des News. Looks like they got it wrong.

                        http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...cs.html?pg=all
                        The Des News gets a lot of things wrong. Especially when it comes to BYU and Utah athletics. As for their sliding scale, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this.

                        I will go by what a current BYU coach told me about getting a recruit into school. And I quote, "As long as he qualifies through the NCAA, if we want him, we will get him into BYU".
                        "Take it to the Bank"

                        Comment

                        • MartyFunkhouser
                          Disciple of RNGesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18747

                          #1047
                          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                          Congrats to the Utes are raiding Laramie for another coach. I bet the Wyoming is starting to hate Utah as much as Colorado does.
                          Hey not everyone has the chance to raid coaches from Simon Fraser, College of the Canyons, or can promote an assistant to the athletics director for student services.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

                          Comment

                          • Hot Lunch
                            Out of Office
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7842

                            #1048
                            Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                            Don't listen to HL as he's a complete turncoat. He used to fist roll when Max Hall led the Cougs to blue zone drives that actually culminated with TDs, but then saw $ signs in his eyes when the Utes started getting partial Pac-12 money. Also, he rode YOhio's coattails to HS football glory. Think about it ... there has to be a reason recruits turn down the BYU experience, and my guess is it's because we're the Harvard of the West and the Stanford of about 800 miles east.
                            I would have never made it in life if it weren't for YOhio. I owe him everything.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69687

                              #1049
                              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                              The Des News gets a lot of things wrong. Especially when it comes to BYU and Utah athletics. As for their sliding scale, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this.

                              I will go by what a current BYU coach told me about getting a recruit into school. And I quote, "As long as he qualifies through the NCAA, if we want him, we will get him into BYU".
                              That would make the most sense.

                              What were Utah's standards prior to the recent change?
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • MartyFunkhouser
                                Disciple of RNGesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 18747

                                #1050
                                Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                                The Des News gets a lot of things wrong. Especially when it comes to BYU and Utah athletics. As for their sliding scale, I am going to go ahead and call BS on this.

                                I will go by what a current BYU coach told me about getting a recruit into school. And I quote, "As long as he qualifies through the NCAA, if we want him, we will get him into BYU".
                                I absolutely believe that BYU has a sliding scale. If it is a recruit that they feel is worth the risk, the scale will slide all the way down to the NCAA minimum qualifications. If it is a recruit that isn't quite worth the risk, the scale is higher.
                                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                                --Kendrick Lamar

                                Comment

                                Working...