Stand-up guys

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37974

    #16
    Originally posted by RedSox View Post
    Seems like it's really just a mass internet penis-measuring contest.
    Think of the potential of this event if Robin were put in charge!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • Parrot Head
      Operation Hot Mother
      • Nov 2008
      • 2322

      #17
      I'm amazed by the ambivalence expressed towards the rivalry. Are you waiting for that awesome Utah-Washington State matchup to blow up? Maybe that BYU-Idaho State game...?

      Yeah, I'm fine with Utah (or Duke, in the case of UNC) doing alright if it doesn't hurt us so that we could then whoop up on them, but I'd love to see them just get laughed off the field or the court for a couple of seasons.

      As for wearing red, I have a red fleece pullover that gets me through winter and a red In-N-Out shirt, but that's it. We've been house hunting lately, but one of the houses that we like is on a street with strong ties to the current Utah regime and it's giving me second thoughts. Without rivalry, what are sports?

      (On a tangent, I have the bad habit of frequently ending up at Target on the days that I wear the In-N-Out polo with khaki pants and I get asked where different products are in the store. Beware the red and tan combo.)
      I have nothing else to say at this time.

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25266

        #18
        Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
        I'm amazed by the ambivalence expressed towards the rivalry.
        IMO, it's faux ambivalence from people who can't handle the stress of losing the rivalry game and the aftermath of such a loss. Any fan of either school who is truly honest with himself/herself understands how much the rivalry has meant to both schools over the last 20 years, and wants it to continue.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #19
          I'd like to see it continue and I prefer that it will be played in September. I think with it played early in the season, the acrimony will be tempered a bit because there will still be a lot of season left to be played for both teams. For those who live and die by the outcome of the rivalry game, there won't be time to stew about it and it won't fester throughout the entire off season.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • Clark Addison
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10305

            #20
            Originally posted by Parrot Head View Post
            We've been house hunting lately, but one of the houses that we like is on a street with strong ties to the current Utah regime and it's giving me second thoughts.
            Ha! I know exactly what street you mean.

            FYI, with the clues you have provided, I have been able to figure out that your house would be 2000 feet from mine as the crow flies. You may want to reconsider.

            Comment

            • Flattop
              Many books, little time
              • Jun 2009
              • 1452

              #21
              Originally posted by RedSox View Post
              So, your answer is "religion"?

              We're all caught there.

              I'm in shock at how many people on the internet claim that they don't want to continue the rivalry (on both sides). Seems like it's really just a mass internet penis-measuring contest.

              Seems obvious that we want to continue to play each other. The last decade the rivalry games have been incredible (with a few exceptions). Why toss that to the wind because of the strange religious undertones (that I ignore almost completely)?
              Some might consider those strange religious undertones to be poisonous. Just ask Max Hall.
              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

              Comment

              • Commando
                Explosivo
                • Feb 2009
                • 20748

                #22
                Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                Some might consider those strange religious undertones to be poisonous. Just ask Max Hall.
                Max Hall is my homeboy. He has single-handedly done more to get under Ute fans' collective skin than anybody in the history of mankind save Lenny Gomes.


                I was talking to some Ute fan here in Phoenix (some kid on his summer internship) and he was getting so worked up talking about how bad he hated Max. I just said that Max was a very funny, affable guy, and this kid was getting red in the face, tears forming, etc. He even started to make untrue statements about Max, i.e. he only beat the Utes once, that he cried on t.v.... It made me think that for a kid that knew next to nothing about the rivalry or his own professed team for that matter, he sure had been burning an extraordinary amount of calories on Max Hall. If I see Max around town, I'm giving him a hug and buying his dinner.
                Last edited by Commando; 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM.
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                Comment

                • Flattop
                  Many books, little time
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 1452

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  Max Hall is my homeboy. He has single-handedly done more to get under Ute fans' collective skin than anybody in the history of mankind save Lenny Gomes.
                  Some of us were too busy laughing at him to let that happen. Even so, his tirade was a turning point.
                  Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                  Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                  Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13955

                    #24
                    Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                    Some might consider those strange religious undertones to be poisonous. Just ask Max Hall.
                    Was Max Hall's beef religious? I watched his press conference a few times, but didn't memorize it.

                    I recall him calling the U "classless" and expressing his "hate" for the university, its fans, its players, etc., etc. I also recall him being upset about beer being thrown on his family.

                    Did he say "I hate these apostates" or something, and I missed it?

                    Max may have hated the Utes, but I bet he loved the rivalry.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #25
                      Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                      Was Max Hall's beef religious? I watched his press conference a few times, but didn't memorize it.

                      I recall him calling the U "classless" and expressing his "hate" for the university, its fans, its players, etc., etc. I also recall him being upset about beer being thrown on his family.

                      Did he say "I hate these apostates" or something, and I missed it?

                      Max may have hated the Utes, but I bet he loved the rivalry.
                      Let's play the hot/cold game with him for who he is thinking of. First name rhymes with Shmaustin, last name rhymes with Shmollie.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                        Some of us were too busy laughing at him to let that happen. Even so, his tirade was a turning point.
                        Oh geez. From my experience, when a Ute says he laughs at Max Hall (*cough* the winningest QB in BYU history), that has always been a deliberate, nervous laughter. The fact you had to immediately respond and say something derisive about Max speaks to my point.
                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • Flattop
                          Many books, little time
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 1452

                          #27
                          Originally posted by RedSox View Post
                          Was Max Hall's beef religious? I watched his press conference a few times, but didn't memorize it.

                          I recall him calling the U "classless" and expressing his "hate" for the university, its fans, its players, etc., etc. I also recall him being upset about beer being thrown on his family.

                          Did he say "I hate these apostates" or something, and I missed it?

                          Max may have hated the Utes, but I bet he loved the rivalry.
                          One word: Beer.

                          It had to be beer.
                          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                          Comment

                          • Flattop
                            Many books, little time
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 1452

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Commando View Post
                            I was talking to some Ute fan here in Phoenix (some kid on his summer internship) and he was getting so worked up talking about how bad he hated Max. I just said that Max was a very funny, affable guy, and this kid was getting red in the face, tears forming, etc. He even started to make untrue statements about Max, i.e. he only beat the Utes once, that he cried on t.v.... It made me think that for a kid that knew next to nothing about the rivalry or his own professed team for that matter, he sure had been burning an extraordinary amount of calories on Max Hall. If I see Max around town, I'm giving him a hug and buying his dinner.
                            That kid has problems. Plus, he is clearly confusing Max Hall with John Beck.

                            Oh geez. From my experience, when a Ute says he laughs at Max Hall (*cough* the winningest QB in BYU history), that has always been a deliberate, nervous laughter. The fact you had to immediately respond and say something derisive about Max speaks to my point.
                            Really, those six turnovers were quite funny. Dang, another derisive comment!
                            Last edited by Flattop; 06-21-2011, 09:11 AM.
                            Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                            Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                            Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                            Comment

                            • Commando
                              Explosivo
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 20748

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                              That kid has problems. Plus, he is clearly confusing Max Hall with John Beck.
                              I know, right?? I did something I never do in a heated sports discussion-- dropped the subject. I was afraid I might be stabbed later if I didn't.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #30
                                Originally posted by Flattop View Post
                                Really, those six turnovers were quite funny. Dang, another derisive comment!
                                At least you are engaging in actual rivalry smack related to the game rather than unsubstantiated put downs.

                                For the record, I found 4th and 18 to be hilariously awesome, and I further found Harvey's ass-smashing of that certain loud mouthed Linebacker crossing the goal line to be particularly savory. My only regret is that AC didn't recite the Max Hall tirade, because that's really the only way it would have been more offensive to Ute fans.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...