BYU Pro Combat Deal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • old_gregg
    scaly man fish
    • Nov 2009
    • 16915

    #16
    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    Do they sell the jerseys? I haven't seen any of the previous ProCombat jerseys for sale. I have seen t-shirts and hats, though.
    good question. i have no idea.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

    Comment

    • old_gregg
      scaly man fish
      • Nov 2009
      • 16915

      #17
      Originally posted by Commando View Post
      I just bought a Nike BYU shirt... the blue one w/ the cougar w/ the sailor hat/beanie on. It's sick, but those Nike sizes are too damn big. I wear a medium tee and I had to get the small. It's still baggy on me.

      Based on the shirts Nike has been producing for the Y this year, they took note that we BYU fans/Bronco love/s the old school traditional looking stuff-- i.e. above-mentioned cougar shirt, the 1984 Champs shirt, etc. I would be willing to give them a fair shake on the Pro Combat, but if they are looking for revenue, they need to put out some damn McMahon, Detmer, Hall, Beck jerseys. It's so hard to find that stuff.
      i totally agree. some throwbacks would be really cool, but i bet licensing would be a nightmare.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 37987

        #18
        Originally posted by Commando View Post
        I just bought a Nike BYU shirt... the blue one w/ the cougar w/ the sailor hat/beanie on. It's sick, but those Nike sizes are too damn big. I wear a medium tee and I had to get the small. It's still baggy on me.
        Where did you get it?

        The Nike store (online) has some pretty cool ones. This one sounds like its in that same line.

        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #19
          Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
          A small? Never divulge your size to online bullies.
          I'm sayin' though... it literally fits like a Large by any other company.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #20
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Where did you get it?

            The Nike store (online) has some pretty cool ones. This one sounds like its in that same line.

            http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?cp=u...d-1/pid-313198
            I actually got it at Fanzz in Provo Towne Center. They have em online, too.



            I saw a few peeps with 'em at the Hawaii game last saturday, too. I was sporting my "vintage Yale" shirt, courtesy of Urban Outfitters.
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #21
              Originally posted by camleish View Post
              As most already know, rumor has it that the Pro Combat deal has finally been done much to Bronco's chagrin. The unis themselves sound sick though. Will playing in them for one game end BYU football tradition?

              (I didn't see a thread for this, but if there is just delete this)
              I can never understand why people think tradition and history started where they want to claim it started. BYU wore dark blue helmets when Virgil Carter was transplanting BYU to a new level. BYU wore a silver helmet for a season.

              The uniforms Danny Ainge wore in the NCAA tourney were a powder blue with silver numbers.

              I guess it doesn't matter though as the only thing that can be claimed tradition at BYU is royal blue from 1984, and NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a uniform that might be considered different.


              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • MartyFunkhouser
                Disciple of RNGesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 18754

                #22
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                I can never understand why people think tradition and history started where they want to claim it started. BYU wore dark blue helmets when Virgil Carter was transplanting BYU to a new level. BYU wore a silver helmet for a season.

                The uniforms Danny Ainge wore in the NCAA tourney were a powder blue with silver numbers.

                I guess it doesn't matter though as the only thing that can be claimed tradition at BYU is royal blue from 1984, and NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a uniform that might be considered different.


                http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
                I hated the Utes blackout uniforms and particularly hated the wounded warrior uniforms. I don't like the Utes wearing black uniforms. However, this is what the players want and I think that does matter. Yes, the players get a lot with from the University with their scholarships, but they are busting their asses working hard for the team. If they want to have fun and wear a different uniform, I think they should be allowed to do so. BMs attitude is a mistake.

                I think a lot of the Ducks uniforms are ugly, but even in all their ugliness they are damn fun. Any Ducks gear that I have purchased has been the most garish and ugly that I can find, that is the true essence of Duck gear. I'm sure the players really enjoy all the uniform combinations and it is great advertising for the Duck program.
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

                Comment

                • YOhio
                  Hipster Mode
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26165

                  #23
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I can never understand why people think tradition and history started where they want to claim it started. BYU wore dark blue helmets when Virgil Carter was transplanting BYU to a new level. BYU wore a silver helmet for a season.

                  The uniforms Danny Ainge wore in the NCAA tourney were a powder blue with silver numbers.

                  I guess it doesn't matter though as the only thing that can be claimed tradition at BYU is royal blue from 1984, and NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a uniform that might be considered different.


                  http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
                  Reeeeeer. Grumpy.

                  Comment

                  • YOhio
                    Hipster Mode
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 26165

                    #24
                    I think the Pro Combat uniforms are goofy and I like that Bronco resists handing over creative control to Nike. I wish Lavell had done the same.

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #25
                      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I can never understand why people think tradition and history started where they want to claim it started. BYU wore dark blue helmets when Virgil Carter was transplanting BYU to a new level. BYU wore a silver helmet for a season.

                      The uniforms Danny Ainge wore in the NCAA tourney were a powder blue with silver numbers.

                      I guess it doesn't matter though as the only thing that can be claimed tradition at BYU is royal blue from 1984, and NEVER EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES wear a uniform that might be considered different.


                      http://www.nationalchamps.net/Helmet_Project/
                      I think you are confusing an evolving uniform with changing your uniform every single week. One seems natural, the other is basically a marketing gimmick. Putting aside your homerism for a sec, do you really think it is a good idea to change weekly? What is the ducks identity during this era of whatever it is duck fans are calling it? 30 years from now when they bust out the throwbacks, which one will it be?

                      To me Oregon will always be daffy duck. It is actually pretty unique. Did disney force them to stop that? Their switch to the huge zero was a ripoff from the start as it looks very similar to oakleys logo.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • TripletDaddy
                        sweet triple
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 58186

                        #26
                        Whoops meant Donald not daffy.
                        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                          Time to camp
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 26082

                          #27
                          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          I think you are confusing an evolving uniform with changing your uniform every single week. One seems natural, the other is basically a marketing gimmick. Putting aside your homerism for a sec, do you really think it is a good idea to change weekly? What is the ducks identity during this era of whatever it is duck fans are calling it? 30 years from now when they bust out the throwbacks, which one will it be?

                          To me Oregon will always be daffy duck. It is actually pretty unique. Did disney force them to stop that? Their switch to the huge zero was a ripoff from the start as it looks very similar to oakleys logo.
                          daffy? I thought you knew your Dis. stuff. Oregon changes their uniforms every 3 years on the current cycle. I don't think anyone is really worried about what throwback will look best 30 years from now. Do I think that uniforms have helped vault Oregon into the national consciousness of recruits, so gimmick or not it worked. Funny that Southern Cal was wearing a black alternate jersey last year in hoops when they came to Mac Court. I guess even Southern Cal isn't above gimmicks?

                          However back to BYU I didn't say they should change the uniforms every week. I said that the idea that BYU's only tradition is royal blue, which many espouse bothers me. BYU has had many different colors and combinations over the last 50 years, why do only the 1984 uniforms count as the history and tradition?
                          Get confident, stupid
                          -landpoke

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #28
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            daffy? I thought you knew your Dis. stuff. Oregon changes their uniforms every 3 years on the current cycle. I don't think anyone is really worried about what throwback will look best 30 years from now. Do I think that uniforms have helped vault Oregon into the national consciousness of recruits, so gimmick or not it worked. Funny that Southern Cal was wearing a black alternate jersey last year in hoops when they came to Mac Court. I guess even Southern Cal isn't above gimmicks?

                            However back to BYU I didn't say they should change the uniforms every week. I said that the idea that BYU's only tradition is royal blue, which many espouse bothers me. BYU has had many different colors and combinations over the last 50 years, why do only the 1984 uniforms count as the history and tradition?
                            Oregon is in the consciousness because they are winning, not because of the uniforms. For all the talk of nike money, what has that association garnered for oregon? Zero rose bowls and...what...3 PAC 10 titles. Once Oregons current run ends, people won't care as much about Oregon, regardless of their uniforms, until their next up cycle. Where is oregons current recruiting class ranked? Well below schools that don't change their uniforms. I don't think there is much of a nexus there, but perhaps you have some insight that I'm not seeing. recruiting is strong when you are fielding winning teams, not when you are changing uniforms.

                            SC had the option to do black uniforms for football. The school said no way. Good for them.

                            BYU wore royal blue for much longer than one season. I don't get the 1984 thing. Most of the current fan base knows BYU football as the royal blue uniforms of past decades. That is their tradition.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                              Time to camp
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 26082

                              #29
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              Oregon is in the consciousness because they are winning, not because of the uniforms. For all the talk of nike money, what has that association garnered for oregon? Zero rose bowls and...what...3 PAC 10 titles. Once Oregons current run ends, people won't care as much about Oregon, regardless of their uniforms, until their next up cycle. Where is oregons current recruiting class ranked? Well below schools that don't change their uniforms. I don't think there is much of a nexus there, but perhaps you have some insight that I'm not seeing. recruiting is strong when you are fielding winning teams, not when you are changing uniforms.

                              SC had the option to do black uniforms for football. The school said no way. Good for them.
                              The worse USC gets, the more you sound like SU. Why did Southern Cal opt for the basketball black uniforms if they are such sticklers for tradition?

                              Talking about the Oregon uptick is fun and a great defense mechanism. I am glad you stopped just short of saying "snapshot in time". After all Oregon is 9 wins behind Southern Cal in the last 20 years, 178 to 169. Or 6 losses 80 to 86. Let me know when the 20 year uptick ends for either Oregon or Southern Cal.
                              Get confident, stupid
                              -landpoke

                              Comment

                              • Jarid in Cedar
                                CS Institutional Memory
                                • Jun 2009
                                • 13234

                                #30
                                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                                -Rick Majerus

                                Comment

                                Working...