What is a crappy team?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #16
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I didn't feel any great pride in byu yesterday, but I did say that I had fun in that last series. The entire game was a snooze fest, so it was great to stand up and cheer and feel some atmosphere for once.

    Make no mistake, byu should have blown that game open but couldn't do it. Byu had a short field and couldn't even convert 3 points. The offense gave up 9 points, half the game total. Byu is not good this year.
    Gtt
    As for Utah, the media and public perception is going to be one of relative indifference, at least as it pertains to the other top teams. Why? Because Utah has beaten some crappy teams. I think the utes are using the Boise model...play a weak schedule and go undefeated. In fairness to the utes, scheduling games against Pitt, Iowa state, and noter dame should could for something and it isn't the utes fault that these teams stink this year.

    Utah has a great squad this season, no doubt. They are cursed that the only good team they will play this season is tcu. I think that is why they will continue to get jumped. While it isn't utahs or boises fault that their opponents don't have great records, it isn't mizzous fault either. And mizzou just beat #1 Oklahoma.

    I guess the answer to your question....crappy teams are like pornography....you watch them in secret and hope nobody catches you. (also, you know them when you see them)
    I agree with Triplet. Just wanted to make a record of that.
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    Comment

    • U-Ute
      Non member
      • Aug 2009
      • 2071

      #17
      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I read on ESPN that Utah has only beaten crappy teams. What does that mean? They're crappy because Utah is really good, that's what it means. Crappy is relative. I read 3D's post about his pride at BYU hanging on to win the cliffhanger against Wyoming. LES was rockin' on that last drive. I'm sure those BYU kids who played that game don't think they just beat a crappy team. Good teams are good because they make most of the other teams look crappy. In every endeavor, there are 5% who stand out. Are the rest ipso fact crappy because the good make them look bad? Is Iowa State a crappy team? I don't know. Ask Jeff Lebowski. The world wants to punish the good for being good. It's not their fault most everyone else is crappy.
      I smell what you're cooking, but I can't take an order of it.

      I remember when we beat BYU for the coveted Toilet Brush trophy in McBride's final season, and everyone was thrilled. True, we had beaten our rival, and that had something to do with it, but nobody was disillusioned to the point where we thought we had beaten a good team. We just felt good because we won a hard fought game after a pretty tough season.

      Frankly, I'm not worried about getting to the NC game. With not starting ranked at the beginning of the season, and the way our schedule has fallen out with Pitt and Notre Dame sucking and Air Force falling out of the rankings, it just isn't going to happen. I still think we are good enough to make a BCS game (potentially the Rose Bowl if Oregon wins out and BSU's SOS pulls them down). I'd be thrilled with that.

      The true shame would be if we win out and end up in The BYU Invitational. Although, now that I think about it, it would give us a potential matchup against USC. It'd be fun to give them a preview of what is going to hit them next year.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #18
        SC is not bowl eligible this season. Next season maybe, depending on the appeals, but for now, I'm not banking on it.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • CJF
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8497

          #19
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          I am not sure I see the point of this thread (but why should that matter?). Anyway, it does seem that we are starting to see how the Cougs and Utes have done against common opponents. So far, it seems clear that if BYU is a crappy team, Utah is at least less crappy. That's worth something, isn't it? My guess is that by season's end we'll know more. Or at least we'll have more information to argue about.
          I don't know what is worse. Crappy or really bad. Whichever one is worse is what the BYU offense is. The defense is playing pretty well, especially considering the major injuries. But this offense is terrible. Especially considering the talent on the OL.

          Utah on the other hand has been nothing but impressive in their games. I didn't see the Pitt game, but the games I have watched they've been dominate. The only way Utah loses a game in regular season, TCU included, is to give it away. Against the less crappy teams the silly turnovers could come back to haunt Utah.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment

          • U-Ute
            Non member
            • Aug 2009
            • 2071

            #20
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            SC is not bowl eligible this season. Next season maybe, depending on the appeals, but for now, I'm not banking on it.
            Crap. I forgot about that. Cal or Washington then... meh. Been there, done that. Not as much fun.

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #21
              One thing this season is doind is exposing the myth of 2004 Utes > 2008 Utes.
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • Uncle Ted
                The Big 12 money shot.
                • Apr 2010
                • 28853

                #22
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                I didn't feel any great pride in byu yesterday, but I did say that I had fun in that last series. The entire game was a snooze fest, so it was great to stand up and cheer and feel some atmosphere for once.

                Make no mistake, byu should have blown that game open but couldn't do it. Byu had a short field and couldn't even convert 3 points. The offense gave up 9 points, half the game total. Byu is not good this year.
                I would have to agree. If BYU wins six games this year and somehow gets invited to a bowl I will be somewhat surprised. On the bright side our kids that are in the BYU band may be home early for the christmas break this year.

                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                As for Utah, the media and public perception is going to be one of relative indifference, at least as it pertains to the other top teams. Why? Because Utah has beaten some crappy teams. I think the utes are using the Boise model...play a weak schedule and go undefeated. In fairness to the utes, scheduling games against Pitt, Iowa state, and noter dame should could for something and it isn't the utes fault that these teams stink this year.

                Utah has a great squad this season, no doubt. They are cursed that the only good team they will play this season is tcu. I think that is why they will continue to get jumped. While it isn't utahs or boises fault that their opponents don't have great records, it isn't mizzous fault either. And mizzou just beat #1 Oklahoma.

                I guess the answer to your question....crappy teams are like pornography....you watch them in secret and hope nobody catches you. (also, you know them when you see them)
                Hmm... By this definition Utah must be a crappy team for me. Confession Time: Last year I even went to the Utah-TCU game. I was there with some TCU friends so I couldn't show my true feelings. I wanted the Utes to win but they got their butts kicked. That game sucked.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #23
                  Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                  Crap. I forgot about that. Cal or Washington then... meh. Been there, done that. Not as much fun.
                  The u has already beaten sc. And in the Vegas bowl, no less.

                  I am getting the feeling you are either really young or don't follow utah football much. Or have a bad memory. Or watch pornography.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • U-Ute
                    Non member
                    • Aug 2009
                    • 2071

                    #24
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    The u has already beaten sc. And in the Vegas bowl, no less.

                    I am getting the feeling you are either really young or don't follow utah football much. Or have a bad memory. Or watch pornography.
                    Heh. No, I clearly remember that victory. Who could forget mighty Lance Rice picking apart Troy Polamalu and company to a scorching 10-6 victory as our D held them to something like 1 or 2 yards rushing. Didn't we rename our stadium after him after that game or something?

                    But that was a different time. Back when the U was still climbing out of the ashes of obscurity, and USC was still recovering from the Paul Hackett days. Although, at this rate, it certainly seems that Kiffin is bound and determined to make USC fans look fondly back on those Hackett teams.

                    Either way, its always fun to beat USC, even if they suck. There's just something innately satisfying about it. Not so much with Cal. Maybe its because I haven't been a PAC-10 honk for very long.

                    Thanks for the reply. My download is just about done. I'll check back later.

                    Comment

                    Working...