Bishop Gorman HS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bishop Gorman HS

I'm beginning to like this school -- some private school in Las Vegas, supposed to be one of the top prep football programs in the nation. This is the third year in a row we've gotten a top 100 recruit from there. DeMarco Murray (five star), Ryan Reynolds (five), and now some DE named Justin Chaisson (four).

Apparently it's becoming a feeder school for Oklahoma, as unlikely as that seems. I'm okay with that, though.

Overall a weak class for us, though. The kids have noticed a pattern in Oklahoma's seasons, I think.

Originally posted by Babs View Post
    I'm beginning to like this school -- some private school in Las Vegas, supposed to be one of the top prep football programs in the nation. This is the third year in a row we've gotten a top 100 recruit from there. DeMarco Murray (five star), Ryan Reynolds (five), and now some DE named Justin Chaisson (four).

Apparently it's becoming a feeder school for Oklahoma, as unlikely as that seems. I'm okay with that, though.
    BYUs own Jonathan Tavernari played at Bishop Gorman.
    *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      So the football players are better than the basketball players there. Good to know.
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

Do you know anything about it? How is some Catholic school fielding these teams? Do they go around and actively recruit the best talent in the state? Out here the private schools' teams are a joke. And you'd never see a black kid at a Catholic school, EVER. (I'm just saying is all.) So this school is very puzzling to me.

Comment

Overall a weak class for us, though. The kids have noticed a pattern in Oklahoma's seasons, I think.
          is this much different than LB Poly?
          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Bishop Gorman and I have a history.

I remember transitioning from Junior High to High School and notice a lot of friends from the year before were gone. Was playing on the the Freshman Basketball team for my High School and we played Bishop Gorman at Bishop Gorman and I find out that most of them now went to Bishop Gorman . For some reason it kind of annoyed me (mostly explained by being 14). I remember saying a rather mean thing or two to a girl I kind of liked the year before. Not my finest moment.
            Last edited by pelagius; 02-04-2009, 01:13 PM.

Comment

Do you know anything about it? How is some Catholic school fielding these teams? Do they go around and actively recruit the best talent in the state? Out here the private schools' teams are a joke. And you'd never see a black kid at a Catholic school, EVER. (I'm just saying is all.) So this school is very puzzling to me.
              Very wealthy catholic school. They have better facilities than UNLV (no I am not joking). The Fertitta brothers and Dana White (for thsoe that follow the UFC) both went there.

Also David White one of OUs assistant coaches went there.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                I find out that most of them now went to Bishop Gorman. For some reason it kind of annoyed me. I remember saying a rather mean thing or two a girl I kind of liked the year before. Not my finest moment.
                that's hilarious. I can just see a young pelagius offended at the implied slight to his school's desirability.

Comment

Very wealthy catholic school. They have better facilities than UNLV (no I am not joking). The Fertitta brothers and Dana White (for thsoe that follow the UFC) both went there.

Also David White one of OUs assistant coaches went there.
                  yeah, I know how we got the pipeline established. But even the fact that we hired one of their assistant coaches seems like an odd twist of fate. I'm not complaining, though.

Comment

And you'd never see a black kid at a Catholic school, EVER. (I'm just saying is all.)
                    Outside of the south, Catholic schools LOVE black kids ... as long as they can dunk or run a 4.4 forty ...

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzard View Post
                      Outside of the south, Catholic schools LOVE black kids ... as long as they can dunk or run a 4.4 forty ...
                      Interesting. The two Catholic schools here were founded the very week the Supreme Court ruled against segregation in Oklahoma, and the schools have never forgotten their roots.

Comment

I played baseball with a couple of kids from BG. But I think I probably played with kids from damn near every HS in LV.
                        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

Interesting. The two Catholic schools here were founded the very week the Supreme Court ruled against segregation in Oklahoma, and the schools have never forgotten their roots.
                          Oh, and the evangelical schools especially love black kids on their sports teams. If I had a dollar for every Christian school whose (white) pastor had a vision in which God told him the best way to spread the word (and double the size of his 99% white congregation) was to create a perennial USA Today Top 25 football or basketball program ...

To quote O Brother Where Art Thou (loosely), "There's good money in the word of God."

Comment

The private schools in SoCal actively recruit. They play in their own leagues that do not include public schools.
                            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                              The private schools in SoCal actively recruit. They play in their own leagues that do not include public schools.
                              When I lived in Northern California, our little league baseball team was pretty good. We actually made it to the regionals of the little league world series where we lost to Sean Burroughs and Tony Gwyn Jr of Long Beach State. We had several players that even as 12 year olds you knew would be college prospects. The next year we put together a traveling team for Babe Ruth league and won the state title.

The high school baseball coach had a son on our team, and everyone talked about how good our school was going to be in baseball for years to come. Then along came De La Salle. They started recruiting about 5 kids on our team. They offered tuition waivers to come. Three of the kids jumped ship and went to De La Salle. All three ended up with college scholarships (LSU, Boston College, and Chico State) nobody from my highschool ended up with anything higher than NAIA or D-II schollies. So I guess they made the right choice.

Also my freshman year in football we played De La Salle and lost 52-0.
                              *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                              X