The Coaches Poll Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #16
    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
    Also, what in the world is Ole Miss doing with 48 points in the "others receiving votes" portion? I wouldn't be surprised if they finish last in the SEC West.
    As long as he doesn't rob anyone Ole Miss now has a top 20 QB. I would be shocked if they finished last in the SEC West.

    They should start 5-0
    Jacksonville
    @Tulane
    Fresno State
    Vandy
    Kentucky

    lose @ Bama
    lose @ Arkansas

    Auburn at home toss up
    The great SEC late season bye that the P10/12 can't figure out UL-Laf-W

    @Tennessee probable toss up/win
    @LSU loss
    Mississippi State win

    Somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3. In the SEC either a record like that probably gets you playing on New Year's Day.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 37987

      #17
      Originally posted by USS Utah
      Two words: Harvey Unga.
      Are you referring to Bronco's ability to get great production out of freshman? If so, I agree.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • KillerDog
        a.k.a. K-dog
        • Feb 2009
        • 4196

        #18
        Originally posted by doctorcoug View Post
        BYU getting votes is more about tradition than true probability. BYU will not likely be top 25 caliber.
        http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...l/usatpoll.htm
        Could be or it could be about the constant presense in the top 25, regardless of graduations, they have enjoyed for an extended period leading up to this season. Maybe that is what you mean by tradition. Many coaches vote based on their perception of the coaching and recruiting ability of the coaches of that team.

        Comment

        • Hot Lunch
          Out of Office
          • Nov 2008
          • 7842

          #19
          The Coaches poll is probably the worst poll that college football has. It is pointless and irrelevant.

          Do I sound like mpFunk right now?
          "Take it to the Bank"

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37987

            #20
            Originally posted by USS Utah
            People willingly believe what they want to.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Uncle Ted
              The Big 12 money shot.
              • Apr 2010
              • 28853

              #21
              Originally posted by Babs View Post
              giggle.
              Yes, I know... Texas is ahead of both Oklahoma and Nebraska.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Babs
                Not a Lawyer
                • Nov 2008
                • 17128

                #22
                Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                Yes, I know... Texas is ahead of both Oklahoma and Nebraska.
                Texas always starts out the season that way. I was actually giggling on account of the one previously unranked team that outranks the others by a good 10 spots or so.

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Babs View Post
                  Texas always starts out the season that way. I was actually giggling on account of the one previously unranked team that outranks the others by a good 10 spots or so.
                  Of course, I was joking about Texas.

                  Here is something else to giggle about... no USC in the top 25 for the next two years.


                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Green Monstah
                    Royal Rooter
                    • Aug 2010
                    • 13962

                    #24
                    Interestingly, 2007 was his fresh year also

                    Originally posted by USS Utah
                    Two words: Harvey Unga.
                    Which sort of goes along with what I was saying...I just wouldn't write off the Cougs this season.
                    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                    Comment

                    • Portland Ute
                      Junior Member
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 5647

                      #25
                      My prediction is that Utah and BYU will end the season ranked fairly closely. Whoever wins the game in November will finish ranked a bit higher.

                      Utah's defense is going to be a weakness and BYU will lose a couple/few games because of freshman QB play, even if the guy is the second coming of Jimmy Mac and/or Tie Detmer.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69716

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        Texas always starts out the season that way. I was actually giggling on account of the one previously unranked team that outranks the others by a good 10 spots or so.
                        It's so ludicrous that it makes me giggle too.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Babs
                          Not a Lawyer
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 17128

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                          Of course, I was joking about Texas.

                          Here is something else to giggle about... no USC in the top 25 for the next two years.


                          foreword by Switzer?

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            It's so ludicrous that it makes me giggle too.
                            membership has its privileges.

                            Comment

                            • USUC
                              Chronic Poseur
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 8795

                              #29
                              I'm actually kind of surprised Boise State is sitting at 5th, returning 21 of 22 starters and coming off a big win over TCU and all. Texas and Florida are extremely overrated in my opinion. If I was Boise I would kind of be excited about this. They continue to be the underdogs. Preseason polls are bullocks to begin with, let alone one by the coaches.

                              Comment

                              • U-Ute
                                Non member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • 2071

                                #30
                                Originally posted by USS Utah
                                Unga was an RS freshman not a true freshman. Additionally, because of his size, speed and agility, he was a special kind of player. As far as I know none of his possible successors have that complete package. A player like Unga is a great thing to have when your breaking in a new QB.
                                Plus, it wasn't like Hall spent the previous season wondering who he was going to take to the prom.

                                He was new to the BYU system, but he wasn't a freshman like Heaps. Neilson is a good comparison though.

                                Comment

                                Working...