The Big 12 expansion groundswell

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #646
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Appreciate the info, but ease up a bit on the "got it now?" will ya?
    I am not sure that was his post. He was just sharing another post.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #647
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I am not sure that was his post. He was just sharing another post.
      OK, if so I apologize. I'm on Superquickskim Mode today.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • Uncle Ted
        The Big 12 money shot.
        • Apr 2010
        • 28853

        #648
        Patterson, himself, said that TCU won't be going to the Big 12. Jennifer Floyd Engel (aka. "The Little Ball of Hate") is on a frog induced high thinking that the TCU will be in the Big 12. If you think about it Gary Patterson was most likely talking about the MWC invites going on to Fresno, Nevada, and USU when he was doing his dance and BYU slam session. The MWC meeting was Tuesday morning and his interview was on Wednesday. He most likely knew that the MWC had a plan to derail BYU going independent. If the MWC and C-USA have plans to create a BCS "playoff game" then Houston and TCU most likely won't be swapping conferences either.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • UtahDan
          *
          • Nov 2008
          • 14496

          #649
          Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
          Appreciate the info, but ease up a bit on the "got it now?" will ya?

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #650
            Colorado may be one step closer to being in the Pac-10+2 for 2011... Somehow they managed to schedule a game with the Ohio State:

            The game, coordinated by both athletic directors and their respective television partners, is a one-time affair with no return trip to Boulder. Ohio State will pay CU $1.4 million for the visit, with the Buffs to earn additional dollars if the game is televised, which is highly likely.
            Recall what AD Mike Bohn said earlier this month:

            Speaking of scheduling, he said that, "if we leave the Big 12 in 2011, which it looks like we will, our re-vamped schedule features a major cross-sectional game with a Big Ten team."
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Jarid in Cedar
              CS Institutional Memory
              • Jun 2009
              • 13234

              #651
              Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
              Colorado may be one step closer to being in the Pac-10+2 for 2011... Somehow they managed to schedule a game with the Ohio State:



              Recall what AD Mike Bohn said earlier this month:
              A moot point since some old geezer at UCLA is going to block their entry
              "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

              "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

              "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

              -Rick Majerus

              Comment

              • Surfah
                Where's Wallace?
                • Nov 2008
                • 33726

                #652
                Originally posted by Ted Nugent View Post
                Colorado may be one step closer to being in the Pac-10+2 for 2011... Somehow they managed to schedule a game with the Ohio State:



                Recall what AD Mike Bohn said earlier this month:
                CU needs the money.

                That must have been an interesting phone call. Hey we can't even afford the exit penalty to get out of the Big 12, let alone Hawkins' contract buyout. If we let you guys embarrass us will you give us a million or so?
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

                Comment

                • SCcoug
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7625

                  #653
                  More CU news:

                  University of Colorado officials are planning to remain in the Big 12 Conference through the 2011-12 school year and join the Pac-12 Conference two years from now as originally announced in June.
                  Read the rest.
                  http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15879759

                  Comment

                  • beefytee
                    Board eye candy
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 7542

                    #654
                    Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                    More CU news:



                    Read the rest.
                    http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15879759
                    I wonder if this is more posturing:

                    It remains a possibility that a deal could be reached allowing CU to leave the Big 12 in 2011, but a large gap must be closed in the disagreement amount how much the Buffs will have to pay to do so.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 38003

                      #655
                      Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      More CU news:



                      Read the rest.
                      http://www.buffzone.com/ci_15879759
                      Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                      I wonder if this is more posturing:
                      I wonder if CU knows that the Big 12 wants to expand soon-ish (if the rumors are true) and is holding the league hostage a bit by promising to occupy a spot for a while. I'm sure the BIG 12 would reduce the exit price if it meant landing ND (ha!).
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • Flystripper
                        Degenerate Gambler
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14105

                        #656
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        I wonder if CU knows that the Big 12 wants to expand soon-ish (if the rumors are true) and is holding the league hostage a bit by promising to occupy a spot for a while. I'm sure the BIG 12 would reduce the exit price if it meant landing ND (ha!).
                        or maybe...and this is just stupid speculation... but maybe it allows BYU to join in 2011 which would preserve the championship game for 2011 and give the Big 12 a year longer to find another school to join. SO maybe it is a win win for the Big 12 and Colorado.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #657
                          Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
                          A moot point since some old geezer at UCLA is going to block their entry
                          LOL. The Big 12 will never take Colorado back. They will let them go to the MWC.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Jacob
                            Junior Member
                            • Oct 2009
                            • 6801

                            #658
                            Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                            or maybe...and this is just stupid speculation... but maybe it allows BYU to join in 2011 which would preserve the championship game for 2011 and give the Big 12 a year longer to find another school to join. SO maybe it is a win win for the Big 12 and Colorado.
                            And, BYU could offer to not take any revenues for the year, yet still make more than in the MWC because they'd have 2-3 non-conference home games to sell to ESPN or whomever. If only this could happen.

                            But I don't doubt that this exit penalty is one of the big reasons the B12 is taking its time on expansion.

                            Comment

                            • USUC
                              Chronic Poseur
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 8805

                              #659
                              Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                              And, BYU could offer to not take any revenues for the year, yet still make more than in the MWC because they'd have 2-3 non-conference home games to sell to ESPN or whomever. If only this could happen.

                              But I don't doubt that this exit penalty is one of the big reasons the B12 is taking its time on expansion.
                              I wonder if Colorado hadn't made the preemptive strike and thrown itself at the Big-12 if the PAC-16 would have happened. Colorado basically cut off Baylor from the mix. If they hadn't and Baylor didn't put up such a fight, the Big-12 may have died. I'm just guessing. But i'm also guessing that they want Colorado to suffer (even if they wish it was Nebraska who was in a bad position).

                              Comment

                              • Uncle Ted
                                The Big 12 money shot.
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 28853

                                #660
                                Would the Big 12 take back Colorado?

                                Now, you have to think that approval is a foregone conclusion. You have to believe that conference commissioner Larry Scott had some assurances from the chancellors and the presidents that they would accept the two new schools before he went out and invited them to the party. It would be completely foolhardy and absolutely reckless to offer those invitations without a nod or a wink or something from those university leaders.
                                What's more, there's been little indication that Scott is foolhardy or reckless.
                                He seems more dreamer than dummy.

                                But the Pac-10's chancellors and presidents voting against the inclusion of Colorado and Utah might not be as far-fetched as it seems.
                                Before y'all get too worried this story has a happy ending...

                                Some of those opinions might sway a chancellor or two, but if Young really wants to get folks thinking he would take a completely different tact. He would remind them that adding Colorado and Utah wasn't what the Pac-10 set out to do. This wasn't the plan. This wasn't the vision.

                                Would it work?

                                Probably not.

                                Colorado and Utah are more than likely Pac-10 bound, but still, taking a step back would make folks think about their inclusion. Those schools, after all, turned out to be consolation prizes in the conference realignment game.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...