Big 10 expanding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 expanding...

I know that it has been mentioned, but the Big 10 looks to be aggressively moving forward with expansion and we may know how it all plays out in the next few weeks. Crazy. If this all happens, the college conference landscape will be crazy.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...andidates.html

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...ines;headlines

Originally posted by UteStar View Post
    I know that it has been mentioned, but the Big 10 looks to be aggressively moving forward with expansion and we may know how it all plays out in the next few weeks. Crazy. If this all happens, the college conference landscape will be crazy.

I really haven't followed the Big Ten and PAC 10 talk too closely. I'm waiting for 8 weeks to order a pizza and watch the whole thing unfold. Anyways, has it been mentioned or discussed in the many domino scenarios what happens if Colorado isn't interested in going to the PAC 12? I assume they aren't interested in an 11 team conference and I also assume Ogden hell will freeze over before BYU is invited. What is the trickle down effect of the Buffs saying "no, we're fine where we are"?

Comment

Originally posted by UteStar View Post

The first link seems to mirror what I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday in that the Big 10 could expand to 14 or even 16 teams. I had a brief conversation with a big TOSU fan and I think we came to some interesting conclusions on how this might be very, very good for college football. This was my thought process:
      • If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams, they are basically a super-conference where the winner of each division will play in a conference championship game.
      • If other conferences follow suit and expand to 16 teams, then you basically have 4 super-conferenes with 8 total divisions.
      • You then have 4 conference championship games where the winner of each division faces off against the winner of the other division in the conference.
      • The winners of the conference championship games would most likely square off against each other in two separate BCS bowls.
      • If you add a +1 game at the end where the winners of the two top BCS bowls play, then you basically have an 8-team college football playoff all while keeping the bowl system in tact except for the addition of the +1 game (which addition would just create tons more revenue for college football).
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Eddie Jones View Post
        The first link seems to mirror what I heard on ESPN Radio yesterday in that the Big 10 could expand to 14 or even 16 teams. I had a brief conversation with a big TOSU fan and I think we came to some interesting conclusions on how this might be very, very good for college football. This was my thought process:
        • If the Big 10 goes to 16 teams, they are basically a super-conference where the winner of each division will play in a conference championship game.
        • If other conferences follow suit and expand to 16 teams, then you basically have 4 super-conferenes with 8 total divisions.
        • You then have 4 conference championship games where the winner of each division faces off against the winner of the other division in the conference.
        • The winners of the conference championship games would most likely square off against each other in two separate BCS bowls.
        • If you add a +1 game at the end where the winners of the two top BCS bowls play, then you basically have an 8-team college football playoff all while keeping the bowl system in tact except for the addition of the +1 game (which addition would just create tons more revenue for college football).
        And the exclusivity of the BCS conferences is perpetuated.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          And the exclusivity of the BCS conferences is perpetuated.
          Perpetuated? It would be worse. Absolutely no chance at a non-BCS winning a championship. There is at least a slight chance now.

Also. The number of BCS teams is reduced to by 2 teams (66 to 64).

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
            Perpetuated? It would be worse. Absolutely no chance at a non-BCS winning a championship. There is at least a slight chance now.

Ah, but my hope is that since there are only so many teams out west that the PAC 10 would be forced to pick us up so we'd be included. I'll go on record and say that if we are included in the BCS, I would not have as big of an issue with the system. Seems like the best of both worlds with a quasi-playoff system is established and the bowl structure is also maintained.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

As long as my team makes it into one of those big conferences, I don't care.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                As long as my team makes it into one of those big conferences, I don't care.
                Yeah, but we're sitting on the edge. If we're out, they might as well make a FBS-a league for all of the non-bcs teams.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Article out of Columbus.; Nothing really new. Just the idea of going to 16 to 20 teams possibly.. One added comment I find interesting is the idea that this would open the opportunity to get the BCS back to the basics. As in only open to the 4 super conferences only..

With the possibility of BYU being left out in the cold. I don't like this..

Link:
                  http://www.dispatch.com/live/content...n.html?sid=101

Will this work?? I don't know, but we cannot compare the Big Ten to the WAC (When it was as big). We are talking about The Big Ten and Jim Delaney here. He does nothing unless he has exhausted all options and has figured a way to gain more of the lion share then he already has.. This will gain him more TV's on the Big Ten Network and bring in even more revenue..

Should be interesting to see what happens and who gets added...

Comment

Reports are everywhere today that Nebraska, Mizzou, Rutgers and ND have been officially invited to the Big 10.

Comment

Reports are everywhere today that Nebraska, Mizzou, Rutgers and ND have been officially invited to the Big 10.
                      Those teams make sense. They add markets where there was no B10 presence and especially in the case of Rutgers there is a chance for huge viewing audiences. If indeed this is the case, what does the B12 do now that three teams from the pitiful Northern Division are rumored/reported to be changing conferences?
                      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Reports everywhere? Like where bleacher report?

ESPN, CBSsports, SI.com, yahoo. None of them have anything.
                        *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                          Those teams make sense. They add markets where there was no B10 presence and especially in the case of Rutgers there is a chance for huge viewing audiences. If indeed this is the case, what does the B12 do now that three teams from the pitiful Northern Division are rumored/reported to be changing conferences?
                          My thought was 3 of those 4 teams make tons of sense--all in the midwest and quality institutions of the type the Big Ten would be looking for (where it's about more than just athletics).

I don't get Rutgers as much, myself. Maybe you're right, they're the $$$ pick for a new, big market and recruiting.

Comment

Everywhere... like where?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                              BYU, TCU, and Arkansas make the most sense, IMO. Then a re-alignment of the North and South divisions within the conference.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Working...
                              X