Thank you Max Hall

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • il Padrino Ute
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 19161

    #31
    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
    Whatever deflects from the on-the-field result. Oh I know, SU, 2 BCS games, 55-34-4, etc, etc, etc.... guess what? SCOREBOARD is all that is currently relevant and it kills you that all you have is a false parachute in Max Hall to stop your decent into Hell. It never gets old that haters in true denial continue to use Max weeks after the game to help themselves cope.
    Kind of like Hall used the alleged abuse of his family by Ute fans last year?
    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

    Comment

    • Blueintheface
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2009
      • 15382

      #32
      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      Kind of like Hall used the alleged abuse of his family by Ute fans last year?
      Hey, you're speaking to the choir on Max's comments. They were childish and totally classless and supremely ironic. I get all that so hence I don't defend it, just like I wouldn't defend anyone still bringing up in my own fanbase if I were a Ute fan. I know you're not defending SU and your comment certainly has merit but ultimately isn't it about what happened on the field? To SU and his ilk it's a balm that doesn't quite heal the wound.
      "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

      "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

      Comment

      • All-American
        Right, as Usual
        • Nov 2008
        • 15666

        #33
        Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
        Kind of like Hall used the alleged abuse of his family by Ute fans last year?
        That's odd-- I don't remember hearing him say anything about it until after he threw the game-winning touchdown pass.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #34
          My fond hope is that the U. hangs a big banner on RES next year before the rivalry game saying "Welcome BYU Cougars!" I hope the presidents of the Crimson and Cougar Clubs have lunch and a joint press conference before the game, pledging good sportsmanship and mutual respect over the game. I hope we set aside very nice tailgating space for BYU fans that works great for them. (Maybe with free barrels of caffeine-free Diet Coke and Pepsi.) I hope the U. fans will give the Cougs an ovation as they come onto the field, and that we set aside a special area on the field for the Haka. I also hope that the good Ute fans rise up and squelch any swearing or drunkenness by the bad Ute fans.

          Then I hope the Utes rout the Cougs on the field.

          That would be fun to watch and remember.

          (Some of the above things might actually happen, so don't laugh too hard.)
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • il Padrino Ute
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 19161

            #35
            Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
            Hey, you're speaking to the choir on Max's comments. They were childish and totally classless and supremely ironic. I get all that so hence I don't defend it, just like I wouldn't defend anyone still bringing up in my own fanbase if I were a Ute fan. I know you're not defending SU and your comment certainly has merit but ultimately isn't it about what happened on the field? To SU and his ilk it's a balm that doesn't quite heal the wound.
            I agree that the only thing that matters is the final score. BYU won. I've accepted it and am looking forward to the Utes winning their 9th straight bowl game.

            I'm glad you could see that I was just having a bit of fun.
            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

            Comment

            • il Padrino Ute
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 19161

              #36
              Originally posted by All-American View Post
              That's odd-- I don't remember hearing him say anything about it until after he threw the game-winning touchdown pass.
              True, but he was bringing up something that allegedly happened 12 months earlier.
              "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


              "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

              Comment

              • Blueintheface
                Senior Member
                • Sep 2009
                • 15382

                #37
                Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                My fond hope is that the U. hangs a big banner on RES next year before the rivalry game saying "Welcome BYU Cougars!" I hope the presidents of the Crimson and Cougar Clubs have lunch and a joint press conference before the game, pledging good sportsmanship and mutual respect over the game. I hope we set aside very nice tailgating space for BYU fans that works great for them. (Maybe with free barrels of caffeine-free Diet Coke and Pepsi.) I hope the U. fans will give the Cougs an ovation as they come onto the field, and that we set aside a special area on the field for the Haka. I also hope that the good Ute fans rise up and squelch any swearing or drunkenness by the bad Ute fans.

                Then I hope the Utes rout the Cougs on the field.

                That would be fun to watch and remember.

                (Some of the above things might actually happen, so don't laugh too hard.)
                Continues to speak volumes that Ute fan's hope for next years game is a laundry list of "class rebuttles" and...oh yeah...a Cougar beatdown. Why this asshat's comment is even on your fanbase's radar is very telling I think. Max proved his lack of maturity and Ute fans proved their own insecurities by letting it overcome their every thought.
                "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                Comment

                • JohnnyLingo
                  La Naranja
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 3976

                  #38
                  Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
                  True, but he was bringing up something that allegedly happened 12 months earlier.
                  Look, IlPad, it's acknowledged by Ute fans that there is a small subset of rude and offensive Yewt fans. To say this never happened, not in a million years, is putting your head in the sand.

                  I'm not saying it did happen, but I'm not ruling it out.

                  Comment

                  • il Padrino Ute
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 19161

                    #39
                    Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                    Look, IlPad, it's acknowledged by Ute fans that there is a small subset of rude and offensive Yewt fans. To say this never happened, not in a million years, is putting your head in the sand.

                    I'm not saying it did happen, but I'm not ruling it out.
                    I don't deny that there are jackasses that go to one Utah game every other November. I'm just saying that there has been all this talk about beer being poured on Hall's family yet despite the fact that thousands of Cougar fans (or even Ute fans) have cell phones with cameras, there isn't one photo of something like this happening. And is there a police report somewhere about it? Surely a complaint would have been filed or some kind of report filed by the police who supposedly escorted the Hall family out of RES would be available, no?

                    Could it have happened? Of course. But Hall got his ass kicked by the Utes last year. I think that has more to do with his comments than anything else.
                    "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                    "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                    Comment

                    • LA Ute
                      Receiver of Memory
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 19512

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                      Continues to speak volumes that Ute fan's hope for next years game is a laundry list of "class rebuttles" and...oh yeah...a Cougar beatdown. Why this asshat's comment is even on your fanbase's radar is very telling I think. Max proved his lack of maturity and Ute fans proved their own insecurities by letting it overcome their every thought.
                      Good points. I am more interested in ending the excessively bitter (IMO) state of the rivalry than I am in rebutting Max, who really was just a young popping off and releasing frustrations. Still embarrassing to BYU fans, but just a blip on the history of the rivalry.

                      As for the beatdown aspects, it's always OK to hope to win big over your rival. But I'll take a 1-point victory any day.
                      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                      ― W.H. Auden


                      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                      Comment

                      • scottie
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5247

                        #41
                        Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                        My fond hope is that the U. hangs a big banner on RES next year before the rivalry game saying "Welcome BYU Cougars!" I hope the presidents of the Crimson and Cougar Clubs have lunch and a joint press conference before the game, pledging good sportsmanship and mutual respect over the game. I hope we set aside very nice tailgating space for BYU fans that works great for them. (Maybe with free barrels of caffeine-free Diet Coke and Pepsi.) I hope the U. fans will give the Cougs an ovation as they come onto the field, and that we set aside a special area on the field for the Haka. I also hope that the good Ute fans rise up and squelch any swearing or drunkenness by the bad Ute fans.

                        Then I hope the Utes rout the Cougs on the field.

                        That would be fun to watch and remember.

                        (Some of the above things might actually happen, so don't laugh too hard.)
                        This reminded me of two of my fave posts in CG/CUF history (the topic was the public prayer given at LES before football games):
                        TripletDaddy: If I were asked to give the prayer at the game, I would ask everyone to kneel first. Link

                        PaloAltoCougar: You should first invite those with unkind feelings toward anyone in the stadium to leave. Link

                        You can't tell me you can read PAC's comment without the temple video guy's voice saying it in your head.

                        Comment

                        • LA Ute
                          Receiver of Memory
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 19512

                          #42
                          Originally posted by scottie View Post
                          This reminded me of two of my fave posts in CG/CUF history (the topic was the public prayer given at LES before football games):
                          TripletDaddy: If I were asked to give the prayer at the game, I would ask everyone to kneel first. Link

                          PaloAltoCougar: You should first invite those with unkind feelings toward anyone in the stadium to leave. Link

                          You can't tell me you can read PAC's comment without the temple video guy's voice saying it in your head.
                          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                          ― W.H. Auden


                          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                          Comment

                          • Flattop
                            Many books, little time
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 1452

                            #43
                            Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
                            Look, IlPad, it's acknowledged by Ute fans that there is a small subset of rude and offensive Yewt fans. To say this never happened, not in a million years, is putting your head in the sand.

                            I'm not saying it did happen, but I'm not ruling it out.
                            Funny, I didn't know the definition of "allegedly" was "it never happened."
                            Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                            Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                            Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #44
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              I will say this, Mr. Tax Lawyer: you wouldn't ask the question unless you had a document in hand with him saying it that you could shove under his nose if there were any ambiguity in his answer.
                              Yup. And then one (I at least) would simply state it. I don't even inflect my voice to make it sound like I am asking. "Mr. DDD, you hate the Utes and always have." And then I just look at them as though I expect an answer until they get uncomfortable and respond.

                              Comment

                              • SeattleUte
                                Faith crisis consultant
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 20837

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                                Whatever deflects from the on-the-field result. Oh I know, SU, 2 BCS games, 55-34-4, etc, etc, etc.... guess what? SCOREBOARD is all that is currently relevant and it kills you that all you have is a false parachute in Max Hall to stop your decent into Hell. It never gets old that haters in true denial continue to use Max weeks after the game to help themselves cope.
                                Trust me, I wouldn't trade places with you. At least I don't suffer from impaired sense of humor. (The surest sign of low intelligence is absense of any sense of humor. I'm still waiting to see a glimmer out of you.) Like our two BCS bowl championsips, BYU's 2009 overtime win over Utah is in the past. Why are you dwelling on it? Today all we have to compare is our teams' respective histories. Some wins are remembered, others not nearly so much, except by the obsessed. I guarantee you care a lot more about a meaningless Holy War game than I do.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                                --Jonathan Swift

                                Comment

                                Working...