Originally posted by Indy Coug
View Post
BYU Fans Showing Their True Colors?
Collapse
X
-
I have no idea how much film Lavell watched and don't care. This is a completely different landscape today. Coaches are putting in way more hours than was required in Lavell's day and time."To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
—Abraham Maslow
-
World class facilities and plenty of money are a good start. BYU has been decent enough in football for long enough to be able to recruit better. Lack of talent is a coaching problem. If talent is the problem, coaches need to recruit better talent.Originally posted by Indy Coug View PostNo one has yet been able to articulate in this thread why BYU should be appreciably better than they have been the last 4 years.
I don't buy the honor code bullshit. Either remove it or stop using it as a crutch. They can't have it both ways.Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks
Comment
-
I do want to note that I'm generally pretty quite in my frustrations with BYU. The only time you will here me complain is here and in my own living room."To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
—Abraham Maslow
Comment
-
Really? Based on what? Do you know how laborious it was using 8MM or VHS tapes to watch film rather than digitized footage indexed by an elaborate database?Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View PostCoaches are putting in way more hours than was required in Lavell's day and time.
I'm not sure how working 18 hours and getting crappy sleep on an office cot gives you a leg up on someone that works 12 or 14 hours and sleeps at home. Having worked through stretches of extremely long hours, your finest moments of decision making don't come in the 13th, 14th, 15th or more hour. There is a diminishing returns principle that kicks in and at some point those returns go negative.
Comment
-
So where should the program be?Originally posted by BlueHair View PostWorld class facilities and plenty of money are a good start. BYU has been decent enough in football for long enough to be able to recruit better. Lack of talent is a coaching problem. If talent is the problem, coaches need to recruit better talent.
I don't buy the honor code bullshit. Either remove it or stop using it as a crutch. They can't have it both ways.
Comment
-
From what Bronco has said, I'm not sure that 10 hours are being put in each day.Originally posted by Indy Coug View PostReally? Based on what? Do you know how laborious it was using 8MM or VHS tapes to watch film rather than digitized footage indexed by an elaborate database?
I'm not sure how working 18 hours and getting crappy sleep on an office cot gives you a leg up on someone that works 12 or 14 hours and sleeps at home. Having worked through stretches of extremely long hours, your finest moments of decision making don't come in the 13th, 14th, 15th or more hour. There is a diminishing returns principle that kicks in and at some point those returns go negative."To the man who only has a hammer, everything he encounters begins to look like a nail."
—Abraham Maslow
Comment
-
Tell me what time Bronco arrives in the morning.Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View PostFrom what Bronco has said, I'm not sure that 10 hours are being put in each day.
Comment
-
-
Good point. They are as overly sensitive as the fans they seem to criticize on a regular basis.Originally posted by SloanHater View PostAs a casual observer, it seems odd that the BYU coaching staff gets so worked up publicly about the fans. How hard is it to express your displeasure behind closed doors ?
Most coaches seem to parrot the 'we have the greatest fans in the world' line without second thought whether they believe it or not. Yet Bronco's integrity or irritation seem to limit his ability to simply state this phrase publicly.
It doesn't help the fan base when you are recruiting 5'6" corners that get beat or penalized regularly. But it is what it is. BYU fans need to understand they will never be able to recruit the top 'athletes' because of the honor code.
Comment
-
-
Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post10 wins with a sophomore starting QB in 2007.
10 wins the next season.
Is it entirely unreasonable to expect great things in 2009 from a team with a third-year starting QB who won 10 games as a sophomore? Combine that with a third-year starting running back who is a complete stud and an NFL talent in Pitta, and the skill positions alone were enough of a reason to expect BYU's offense could keep them in any game they played in 2009.
The defense can be terrible, and they certainly deserve their share of the blame, but the great offenses of BYU old could score with the best of them.
WIth the exception of CSU, EVERY team has scored more against TCU than BYU. And it was on BYU's home field. That would be disconcerting as a BYU fan.
Comment
-
:bomb::anger:
:fight:
:igiveup:
This thread has had it all!
"The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."
"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."
"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."
-Rick Majerus
Comment
-
Hasn't he said he doesn't concern himself with the upcoming competition as long as BYU can execute, it doesn't matter who's names are on the jerseys. Does that mean they don't change their game plan from week to week? Not sure what that means.Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View PostI agree with this. If I don't hear the comments coming from Bronco about the fans, I'm probably OK with where the program is going. I'm disappointed that we didn't play better (or show up) against TCU and FSU, but it's only one season. It's when I hear Bronco talk about the fans that really bugs me. Obviously we've seen other comments coming from Bronco in the same manner. Give it a break! Some fans are going to complain even if the team wins a National Championship and doesn't the next year.
I still don't think Bronco loves football like he needs to. On the radio this morning Ben Criddle talked about missing his own brother's wedding so that he could practice with the team. Afterward rather than hanging out with the family, he stayed and watched film. Graham Watson reported that when Gary Patterson gets on the bus after a game, he is watching film for the next game. Bronco doesn't start watching film until the next week. And from listening to some of his gaffs in talking about opponents players during mid week conferences I wonder how much film he really watches.
Comment
Comment