Bronco calls BYU fans dumb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
    I imagine Bronco is actually a pretty humble person. I also think this is his humble (and probably a bit naive) way of saying, "Shut the fetch up and let me do my fetching job, people!"
    I don't know about humble, maybe, maybe not. I do know in private people I have talked to who have associated with him say he is a great guy. One of my friends, who isn't a fan of BYU, told me he is nothing like how he comes off in the press. He told me, "I really, really like the guy."

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      Maybe I overstated. Personally, I find fans who are extremely, note extremely negative about the team annoying. Those who have criticisms, but are happy overall, I have no problem with.

Fans who constantly harp about other fans and act like 10% of the fan base is everyone but them, bug the heck out of me.

I was just curious who bugs you. Maybe both groups?

this 10% must sit directly around me at games. That is good to know, I need to switch seats.

I must be the part of the group that bugs you, with my one comment and all.

Comment

Are his comments offensive? I read his take as such: the average person in the stands doesn't really understand the game of football.

what's the problem there? I don't think that is a BYU phenomenon, either. I would hope that the coach on the field knows way more about the game than the fans in the stands.

At the Utah State game, there were some fans around us yelling at the refs because they brought the ball out to the 40 after the ball was kicked and bounced out of bounds on the sideline. One guy even said, "ref, pull your head out!" or something like that. we all felt shame for this vocal fan. I guess he wasn't keeping up with rule changes. But he was pretty convinced that he was right. It happened again later when everyone was yelling at the refs that a penalty had been decline (the refs knew this, of course, but were assessing the penalty after the kick).

Bronco does say some dumb things, but I don't see this one as one of them.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          this 10% must sit directly around me at games. That is good to know, I need to switch seats.

I must be the part of the group that bugs you, with my one comment and all.
          IMHO, now you are overreacting. I can't remember a post of yours I have had a problem with and I was curious. I haven't had a problem with you or Junkie and therefor if your opinion was fans who criticize are the idiots and are much more than 10%, I was going to rethink my position.

Comment

Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
            BYU fans are dumb. Junkie and I talked about this on the golf course for a minute. It is damn hard being a BYU fan and willingly associating yourself with the stupid sheeite that they spew.

Yes, I am better than them.
            See Cougarboard for evidence.
            "Take it to the Bank"

Comment

I've probably said this here before, but the influence of the Church leads to BYU having a much higher percentage of people who are fans of the school, but are not sports fans. They are passionate about BYU sports, but don't grasp how BYU relates to the bigger sports picture. A good example of this happens whenever my father-in-law wonders why Wally Joyner is not enshrined in Cooperstown.
              "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
              "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
              "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

Comment

We had a lady behind us at the Utah State game yell the following throughout the game:

1. "Run faster you idiots" (Chances are they are running as fast as they can but who am I to judge)

2. When Borel rolled out on that final drive and Jordan Atkinson waited to make sure he was running and then forced him out of bounds she yelled "You idiot dont just stand there do something"

3. "Max Hall is horrible, we would win 10 games this year if Riley Nelson was the QB." (no one around her let this one go and lit her up for it)

4. "I think JJ is faster than Harvey, why dont they play him more?"

5. "I wonder if Riley Nelson knows anyone on the Utah State team?"

This is just one fan that sits around me but there are plenty that second guess every call, constantly comment on every decision, and do nothing but berate the team and the coaching staff. I agree with Bronco the majority of BYU fans are idiots and nerds, I have a hard time being associated with them.
                *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
                  I've probably said this here before, but the influence of the Church leads to BYU having a much higher percentage of people who are fans of the school, but are not sports fans. They are passionate about BYU sports, but don't grasp how BYU relates to the bigger sports picture. A good example of this happens whenever my father-in-law wonders why Wally Joyner is not enshrined in Cooperstown.
                  It is also probably a reason fans who think fans who won't sit down when told to do so, don't deserve Temple Recommends.

Probably why when you show up in the box seats and don't know anyone around you, they want security to check your ID.

Why you think the ACC refs make bad calls because they are evangelical and hate mormons. (I bought into that one)

Why fans think if BYU plays with integrity and honor, even if they lose all 12 games for several years, you will still pack LES.

I could probably go on and if Bronco includes these fans in his definition of "dumb" category, I guess I agree with him.

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    We had a lady behind us at the Utah State game yell the following throughout the game:

1. "Run faster you idiots" (Chances are they are running as fast as they can but who am I to judge)

2. When Borel rolled out on that final drive and Jordan Atkinson waited to make sure he was running and then forced him out of bounds she yelled "You idiot dont just stand there do something"

3. "Max Hall is horrible, we would win 10 games this year if Riley Nelson was the QB." (no one around her let this one go and lit her up for it)

This is just one fan that sits around me but there are plenty that second guess every call, constantly comment on every decision, and do nothing but berate the team and the coaching staff. I agree with Bronco the majority of BYU fans are idiots and nerds, I have a hard time being associated with them.
                    I feel really bad for you, honestly. I couldn't take it. Aside from the once in a while idiotic statement, I haven't experienced that. We had one guy always yelling, nice call Chow. So everytime there was a good play we would yell, nice call Chow. He got pissed, but that was in my younger days. I could have taken him.

Comment

This is why, in that thread a week or two back where I was asked what it would take for me to attend a game at LES, my answer was "an iPod."

Comment

BYU fans for the most part are idiots, as DDD stated so are a fair amount in every fanbase. The part I always fine the most unsettling is the majority of people acting like idiots are doing so without the aid of alcholol. For some reason that always makes me feel worse about the "Tom Young Needs To Start" club members.

Comment

Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          I feel really bad for you, honestly. I couldn't take it. Aside from the once in a while idiotic statement, I haven't experienced that. We had one guy always yelling, nice call Chow. So everytime there was a good play we would yell, nice call Chow. He got pissed, but that was in my younger days. I could have taken him.
                          Maybe my problem is that I sit among the common folk and not with the big donors like yourself.
                          *Banned*

Comment

In undergrad, there was a guy that sat near us all season long one year. He must have purchased his student tickets right when we did. He rotated throughout the stadium with us for every home game. He always sat a few rows in front of us.

He was very passionate about the team. I don't really remember him saying anything problematic. The reason he stands out in my mind is because he wore this white cap....kind of like a painter's cap material. On the top of the cap he took a magic marker and wrote "Crazy Cory" and also the word "Cougs" It is also possible that he used Ks to make it even krazier. I am not sure. It was obviously handwritten and wasn't especially neat or centered. In fact, it was amateurish. But I still remember seeing it, even 15-20 years later.

Crazy Cory Cougs always cheered. He was at every game. He stood by the team and participated in all the spirit stuff.....dangling his keys, shadow boxing to the Theme from Rocky, doing the Jaws Chomp....you name it, Crazy Cory Cougs did it. We all followed his lead and by the end of the season, I think we would cheer him on or yell down a few rows and give him a thumbs up.

I have no idea what he is doing these days, nor where he lives, but whenever I go to a BYU home game, I still keep an eye out for a hat that says Crazy Cory Cougs.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Maybe my problem is that I sit among the common folk and not with the big donors like yourself.
                              LOL, I thought the donors were the ones who felt they had the right to bitch and moan.

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                Bronco does say some dumb things, but I don't see this one as one of them.
                                the quote seems the equivalent of saying: "Yes dear, that dress does make you look chunky."

Regardless of truth, very stupid.
                                I intend to live forever.
                                So far, so good.
                                --Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X