Proposed Las Vegas Development and what it means for our conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by All-American View Post
    Building a $2 Billion stadium with no permanent tenant. Great idea. What could possibly go wrong?

Sincerely,
    The Alamo Dome
    That seems to be the prevailing attitude, though. You don't deserve/can't support a pro sports team b/c you don't have a pro sports facility. I think Goodman's got a great idea: get the stadium built with the promise of the Monday night games, and then parlay that into an expansion or relocation.

Besides, there IS gambling and hotels on the $2B property. That ought to lessen the blow a bit (well, maybe not today, but in 5 years?).
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The Rose Bowl. The Granddaddy of them all.

The Sugar Bowl is decent.....if you discount that it isn't as storied, it has been played in several different venues and even in different cities....cool!
      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        The Rose Bowl. The Granddaddy of them all.

The Sugar Bowl is decent.....if you discount that it isn't as storied, it has been played in several different venues and even in different cities....cool!
        Rose Bowl > Sugar Bowl. Not even close.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Amen.

You are clearly law review material.

sigpic

Comment

The rosebowl's great if you discount the fact that there nohing around it. Tou also have to park 3 miles from the stadium and it takes you 3 hours to ge out of parking lot after the game. Sugar bowl much greater than the rose bowl
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Just curious, how many times has the NC winner been the Rose Bowl winner?
              “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
              ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
              -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
              --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                Just curious, how many times has the NC winner been the Rose Bowl winner?
                Twenty. More than any other bowl game. Orange Bowl, sixteen, and the Sugar Bowl, fifteen.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._national.html

Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                  The rosebowl's great if you discount the fact that there nohing around it. Tou also have to park 3 miles from the stadium and it takes you 3 hours to ge out of parking lot after the game. Sugar bowl much greater than the rose bowl
                  You can get in and out of a high school football game in twenty minutes, tops.

The Rose Bowl is the single greatest event in College Football, excluding only the National Championship game (perhaps). It is the fifth most valuable sports events brand in the world (behind the Super Bowl, the Summer Olympics, the World Cup, and the Daytona 500). It is bigger than the Sugar Bowl.

Comment

Twenty. More than any other bowl game. Orange Bowl, sixteen, and the Sugar Bowl, fifteen.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/c..._national.html

Why?
                    I was wondering if that fact supported your and TD's claim about the awesome wonderfulness of the Rose Bowl. It seems to! (Although the Rose Bowl is very old too. That might account for its lead in NCs. Also, Utah has never been in it, which probably makes it easier for you and TD to celebrate its awesomeness. )
                    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                    ― W.H. Auden

"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

Comment

I was wondering if that fact supported your and TD's claim about the awesome wonderfulness of the Rose Bowl. It seems to! (Although the Rose Bowl is very old too. That might account for its lead in NCs. Also, Utah has never been in it, which probably makes it easier for you and TD to celebrate its awesomeness. )
                      You have never heard the Rose Bowl called The Granddaddy of them All?

Our detente was short lived.....

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                        Although I have only been to the Rose Bowl venue about 30 times in my life for concerts and sports, I will defer to your experience.

I will say this much, next time you are in town, let me know. there are a few places where you can park right next to the stadium itself. They are called "parking lots." The last I heard, there were a few cars here and there parked right next to the stadium, but it is possible that the one time you were here, the venue decided to not make any revenue and closed all the adjacent lots. This would explain your 3 mile sojourn. It would also explain why it takes you 3 hours to get home after a game.

Here is a pic of the Rose Bowl, adjacent to a golf course

Here is an overhead of the Superdome. awesome!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                          You have never heard the Rose Bowl called The Granddaddy of them All?

Our detente was short lived.....
                          Nah - I have heard that; I know that it is true; I have lived in L.A. for almost 30 years and attended or watched almost as many Rose Bowl parades; I am a total L.A. homer (see my board moniker) and so the detente lives on. I was just teasing you and AA.
                          ― W.H. Auden

Comment

Nah - I have heard that; I know that it is true; I have lived in L.A. for almost 30 years and attended or watched almost as many Rose Bowl parades; I am a total L.A. homer (see my board moniker) and so the detente lives on. I was just teasing you and AA.
                            i love detente! it is so peaceful.

sigpic

Comment

Comment

coach, with another clutch hit!

Mormon Red Death is cowering in the corner of some internet cafe, frantically googling images of half-drunk people appearing to "have fun" on Bourbon Street.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X