No announcement yet.

Lakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No other team has a chant echoed in every arena away from Staples. Beat LA!

Speaking of which, did you know the Staples Center is the toughest arena to win a playoff road game in? Counting the Clippers brief visit to the playoffs, since '99 when it opened, the record is like 60-12 for the home team.

Now back to the current topic, Il Pad your comment about Kobe making MJ look humble made me chuckle. People forget, or don't want to believe what an ass MJ was at times. He'd berate teammates. As SoCal pointed out he called his team the supporting cast. He scowled after scoring. Shook his head as he lit up pesky defenders. He got a coach fired that he didn't like. Had affairs. The gambling issues, etc. Anytime, you prop up athletes on that ivory tower you're going to overlook some faults. Who cares? It's a silly argument to make that one guy is a bigger perceived prick than another. If that were the case, how'd you Jazz fans get along with Malone for so long?
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by FN Phat View Post
      DWill
      God bless you.

He and Bynum would be fun to watch.
      -Turtle
      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        God bless you.

He and Bynum would be fun to watch.
        serious?

What are he and Chris Paul doing these days? I think they are both on vacation again, winning a combined 2 games in the post-season this year, both fanbases dickering over which of the two is the greatest.

No thanks.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          serious?

What are he and Chris Paul doing these days? I think they are both on vacation again, winning a combined 2 games in the post-season this year, both fanbases dickering over which of the two is the greatest.

No thanks.
          Who do you want, Triplet? I thought you were crushing on Deron, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
            We really want Bron Bron. But I'd take DWill.
            -Turtle
            sigpic

Comment

Darwin is great. I just don't think he is an anchor piece for the Los Angeles Lakers. Mikan. West. Chamberlain. Kareem. Magic. Shaq. Kobe. Deron Williams? No.

I already stated that Lebron makes sense, from a talent and a star power perspective. I just dont know how the timing works out. Lebron signs next summer and presumably it will be a fairly long deal. Kobe can only be the center for a few more seasons. Lets say 4 more (whether they will be title contenders each of those 4 is a different discussion).

I guess that leaves a "rebuilding" gap of 1 or 2 seasons, which is usually what happens. The rebuilding phase is key to attracting the right FA. The expectations have to be lowered somewhat so that the new guy can come in and be his own star, rescuing the franchise from a few seasons of mediocrity.

When Jax leaves, finding a new coach should not be a problem. Finding a new star for the team will be a tougher task.

sigpic

Comment

• The Lakers better come to play tomorrow night because I can't wait to break out my #8 avatar. It's definitely not the obvious #8.

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
                  The Lakers better come to play tomorrow night because I can't wait to break out my #8 avatar. It's definitely not the obvious #8.
                  Are the Lakers going to retire #8 or #24? As of now, you retire #8, no question.

sigpic

Comment

serious?

No thanks.
                    Would you rather have KD?
                    I'm your huckleberry.

"I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

Comment

Are the Lakers going to retire #8 or #24? As of now, you retire #8, no question.
                      #24, that is the number that Kobe wants.
                      I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

#24, that is the number that Kobe wants.
                        24 hasn't done anything.

8 won rings.

sigpic

Comment

Would you rather have KD?
                          Right now, no way. In 3 seasons? Who knows. But I doubt it.

It will take a few seasons for a clear successor emerges. Right now, there is only one person that is clearly qualified to take over.

It seems like the really special ones come into the league with a great story, some sort of huge splash. They have panache right from Day 1. They don't spend 4 or 5 seasons as relative nobodies in the league.

Lebron fits that traditional mold of mega star. Kevin Durrant, no. But I did like that commercial where he takes off all those jerseys. Very cool.

sigpic

Comment

24 hasn't done anything.

8 won rings.
                            Kind of...

I know that is what you wanted me to say. #24 is the new Kobe, proving himself to everyone, including himself. I would be suprised if he doesn't go out with 24.

Then again he might want to retire, then come back again as 46
                            I'm your huckleberry.

Comment

• Okay, so Laker fans want LeBron, the best player in the NBA and for the next 10 years. Welcome to the club. Who else interests you, on the off chance he stays in Cleveland or goes to New York?

Comment

Okay, so Laker fans want LeBron, the best player in the NBA and for the next 10 years. Welcome to the club. Who else interests you, on the off chance he stays in Cleveland or goes to New York?
                                There is no club.

The Jazz have no serious shot of landing a player like Lebron as a free agent. The Bucks have no shot. The Raptors and the Grizzlies have no shot. The Clippers and the Thunder have no shot. Neither do the Magic or 76ers. There are only a few teams that will always be a consideration for the greatest FA players in the league. The Lakers are one of them (I suppose this is another reason why opposing fans hate them). The Knicks due to location (certainly not to winning tradition....is there a franchise and venue more overblown and overhyped than the Knicks and the phony MSG?). I would say Celtics, esp since their recent revival. And maybe Chicago? That is a BIG maybe, though.

My concern is the timing. I don't know if it can work before Lebron is about 29 or so....which still is not a bad thing.

No, there is nobody else right now that is worthy to carry the mantle. In 3 or so years, the picture may be more clear.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X